Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 08:06 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

Several months ago, our lives in Raleigh were dramatically improved by the opening of a Sprouts store. I used to shop at THE VERY FIRST Sprouts in Chandler, AZ so I happily drive 29 miles round trip to go to this one.

One of the biggest things is their fish dept. Ahi tuna $5.99- $9.99. Fresh Sockeye salmon $8.99-12.99. Colossal shrimp $9.99. I'm deeply in lust.

This week's special is fresh coho salmon at $8.99. I've no idea what coho is or what it tastes like. Care to educate me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 08:20 PM

102,184 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Several months ago, our lives in Raleigh were dramatically improved by the opening of a Sprouts store. I used to shop at THE VERY FIRST Sprouts in Chandler, AZ so I happily drive 29 miles round trip to go to this one.

One of the biggest things is their fish dept. Ahi tuna $5.99- $9.99. Fresh Sockeye salmon $8.99-12.99. Colossal shrimp $9.99. I'm deeply in lust.

This week's special is fresh coho salmon at $8.99. I've no idea what coho is or what it tastes like. Care to educate me?
Thanks for the tip. I'll rush out and get some!

King is the fattiest salmon, so it tastes the sweetest. But the others are fine. I can't tell the difference between the others, but King is obvious. It's also the biggest/thickest. Still, anytime you can get fresh salmon that cheap, go for it! If you cook up some extra, you can put it in the fridge, then add it to a big dinner salad the next day. Or you could mix it up with mayonnaise, like tuna, and make sandwiches out of it. Might as well pig out, while it's cheap. It's very good for you.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:02 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Sockeye and coho are both wild, Alaskan salmon. I find coho to be milder in flavor, but still much more flavorful (and healthier) than the farmed varieties.

That said, keep in mind, they are seasonal. So the fresh ones you see are only there for a month or two out of the year. Typically, from what I have seen, sockeye is available first, for a month or two, then keta, and then coho. And then for the rest of the year we have to settle for either frozen wild pacific salmon or farmed salmon.

When I see them on sale like that, I usually stock up on large quantities, cut them up into portions, and store them in my deep freezer.

A market down the road over here sells them in steak cuts. Nothing like it.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:29 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,099 times
You cannot go wrong with either as both are exc salmon

Most people would be unable to tell the difference if served side by side as a cooked dish

I myself have caught 1000s of salmon as I have lived in WA state for 30yrs and fished in Canada a lot also

I assume that's the whole fish price ( and not filet cuts )

still OK deal for salmon trucked / flew 4000 miles across a continent

I have some silver / coho salmon I just thawed yesterday in my fridge

Gonna make some cast iron skillet seared Cajun blackened season - one of my fav recipes mmmmmm

Old 08-30-2017, 02:18 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post

Most people would be unable to tell the difference if served side by side as a cooked dish
You think so? I find sockeye to be significantly bolder in taste

Old 08-31-2017, 06:31 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post

I myself have caught 1000s of salmon as I have lived in WA state for 30yrs and fished in Canada a lot also

I assume that's the whole fish price ( and not filet cuts )

still OK deal for salmon trucked / flew 4000 miles across a continent

I have some silver / coho salmon I just thawed yesterday in my fridge

Gonna make some cast iron skillet seared Cajun blackened season - one of my fav recipes mmmmmm
Nope, it's the price for filet cut to order. the two of us could never eat the whole fish, and I've never found any frozen fish to be palatable (except shrimp)

Old 08-31-2017, 07:31 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
King (Chinook) salmon, largest and fattiest of the Pacific salmon, dark orange flesh of medium firmness favored by many as the best.

Red (Sockeye) salmon, richest, boldest tasting of Pacific salmon, deep red-orange colored and firm flaky flesh, favored by many as the best (myself included). Some consider this fish too rich for their tastes.

Silver (Coho) salmon, milder than King or Red salmon, bright orange medium firm flesh, lesser known as they are fewer in numbers and late in the season. Excellent table fare, especially for those who prefer a milder salmon (my wife's favorite). These do have a shorter shelf life than red or king salmon, do a "nose" test prior to purchase and cook soon after purchase.

Dog (Chum, Calico) salmon, second largest of the Pacific salmon, milder yet than others, light orange raw/ light brown firm flesh after cooking. Often used to make lox, rarely sold as fresh, can be found canned.

Pink (Humpy) salmon, smallest and most numerous of the Pacific salmon, soft pink flesh and mild tasting generally reserved for canning and not sought after for table fare.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:36 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Nope, it's the price for filet cut to order. the two of us could never eat the whole fish, and I've never found any frozen fish to be palatable (except shrimp)
Wow - that is a pretty darn good price for sockeye salmon or even coho - silvers in filet cuts

I have a lot of my own self caught salmon - halibut - lingcod and / rockfish and sea bass filets in my own freezer so I do not actually purchase retail fish from the store ... however I often take a look at it thru the glass to monitor its freshness as well as price check just for reference.

Around here in the 45 min north of Seattle area ( Snohomish county )
The whole fish price I typically see for wild caught coho / silvers or sockeye is around $6.99-$9 per lb for whole fish ( head on - tails on and obviously gutted )

Filet cut of same fish is typically in the $8-11 range. Occasionally I will see it lower ... but I think that's a ploy to quickly clear out fish that has been around all week and lost most of its freshness ( any fish at a supermarket is not fresh - trust me )

Halibut prices is something that has me shocked this season. Nearly all halibut is sold in filet cut as its a decent sized fish and hardly ever sold whole. I have seen prices for halibut this year in the $20-25lb range for filets. That's easily 30-40% higher than previous years.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:10 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times
I have not bought "coho" for a while now. If you can get it, don't miss it. Depending on the seasons, fishery slaps a quota on the fishermen every now and then.
http://www.swallowtail.ca/blog/how-t...e-coho-spring/

Old 09-01-2017, 10:03 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
King (Chinook) salmon, largest and fattiest of the Pacific salmon, dark orange flesh of medium firmness favored by many as the best.

Red (Sockeye) salmon, richest, boldest tasting of Pacific salmon, deep red-orange colored and firm flaky flesh, favored by many as the best (myself included). Some consider this fish too rich for their tastes.

Silver (Coho) salmon, milder than King or Red salmon, bright orange medium firm flesh, lesser known as they are fewer in numbers and late in the season. Excellent table fare, especially for those who prefer a milder salmon (my wife's favorite). These do have a shorter shelf life than red or king salmon, do a "nose" test prior to purchase and cook soon after purchase.

Dog (Chum, Calico) salmon, second largest of the Pacific salmon, milder yet than others, light orange raw/ light brown firm flesh after cooking. Often used to make lox, rarely sold as fresh, can be found canned.

Pink (Humpy) salmon, smallest and most numerous of the Pacific salmon, soft pink flesh and mild tasting generally reserved for canning and not sought after for table fare.
Interesting!

This explains why canned red salmon is almost twice the price of canned pink salmon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink