U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2017, 06:56 PM

16,222 posts, read 25,409,215 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I got a good deal (well, I'm in Canada, so there's no such thing as good food deals) on a package of peppers. There are six of them (two yellow, two orange, two red -- not that the color matters, I just wanted to share the colorful experience with you ).

Anyway. I'm going to veg-stuff them. The filling will be rice, mushrooms (I sauteed a ton of them tonight), lentils, black beans, and some fresh Parmesan cheese.

I've frozen stuffed peppers before and they were good after they were thawed and baked -- but those were stuffed with rice, cheese, and MEAT. The ones that I'm making are vegetarian.

I've frozen mushrooms before when I've made roast with mushrooms in the crock pot.

So I'm left with two questions:

1. Can I freeze these veg-stuffed peppers and then thaw 'em and bake 'em as I want 'em?
2. If the answer to the first question is "yes!," should I bake them first, freeze, and then thaw/re-bake after? Or just assemble them, freeze them, and then -- when I want one -- thaw and first-bake?

Thanks!
Dawn
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 07:03 PM

33,542 posts, read 51,750,301 times
You will get much better result and taste if you first bake them, then freeze.
But you can do it both ways. However, it's recommended that your stuffing is fully cooked.
Now, when you freeze cooked meal, you will save on reheating time. If you freeze raw peppers, it will take longer, till your meal hit the plate...

Old 09-01-2017, 07:26 PM

^^ Excellent!!! I'll bake them first, then freeze. Thank you so much!!!

Old 09-01-2017, 10:10 PM

236 posts, read 81,139 times
Aren't these colorful bell peppers fruits? I wouldn't dream of freezing them.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:15 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Uh... yeah... okay... the fruit thing... Anyone here ever freeze peaches, or apples, or cherries, or tomatoes????

Old 09-02-2017, 03:00 AM

33,542 posts, read 51,750,301 times
^^^ sure. No problem with that!
The only thing that I find is hard to freeze are potatoes.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
"Botanically speaking, bell peppers are fruit, although they are considered vegetables in culinary contexts."

Whatever you want to call them -- fruits or vegetables -- they're being stuffed with rice, mushrooms, beans, and lentils... and I can't eat six of them before they rot. So they will be frozen.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:18 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,820,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
"Botanically speaking, bell peppers are fruit, although they are considered vegetables in culinary contexts."

Whatever you want to call them -- fruits or vegetables -- they're being stuffed with rice, mushrooms, beans, and lentils... and I can't eat six of them before they rot. So they will be frozen.
Six would be too many but stuffed peppers are nice...

When we get a deal on nice peppers (as recently at a local farm) we make a batch of sausage, peppers, onions and tomatoes...with seasonings and a touch of Marsala...served with a nice Italian loaf. It's a seasonal favorite here.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Six would be too many but stuffed peppers are nice...

When we get a deal on nice peppers (as recently at a local farm) we make a batch of sausage, peppers, onions and tomatoes...with seasonings and a touch of Marsala...served with a nice Italian loaf. It's a seasonal favorite here.
Oh yum to the bolded part! Yum, yum, yum!!! I might have to go back to the store for more peppers. And sausage, and onions, and...

You made me crave...

Old 09-02-2017, 06:45 AM

34,530 posts, read 42,694,765 times
They'll be mushy after freezing, but will taste ok. Maybe dump some cheese or tomato sauce over them the second time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink