Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 01:39 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
PJSinger shamed me into fessing up about at least one. I'll give you six:

1. A whole (big) bag of potato chips.
2. Too many "oh, just one more" squares of chocolate until they're all gone.
3. Ice cream sandwiches.
4. Cheese. I know it's not "junk" but it's certainly not healthy to go through ALL the Caprice des Dieux or Saint-Andre in absolute record time.
5. Cheetos. Lots of them. Until my entire face is orange.
6. Bread. Again, not "junk," but way too many carbs when I can plow through half a loaf in a sitting. (Who am I kidding? A WHOLE LOAF.) I love carbs way too much, which is why I never buy pasta anymore and limit my bread-buying to tortillas and "sandwich thins."

There are more. Many, many more.

ETA: The misuse of cookies requires its own thread.

Dawn, you are my soul sister

Ben & Jerry's pistachio or chocolate Jerry Garcia becomes 1 serving

I'm adding goat cheese to #4. I had one of those small logs in the fridge one day. It didn't stand a chance. I don't think I even gave it time to really soften. Don't let there be ricotta in the fridge either. Just give me a spoon and I'm happy.

I have to add Nutella. I keep it in the house because my daughter likes it but it takes every fiber of my being to not take that jar with a spoon, sneak down into the basement into the dark space behind the oil tank and devour it like a junkie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 02:02 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Dawn, you are my soul sister

Ben & Jerry's pistachio or chocolate Jerry Garcia becomes 1 serving

I'm adding goat cheese to #4. I had one of those small logs in the fridge one day. It didn't stand a chance. I don't think I even gave it time to really soften. Don't let there be ricotta in the fridge either. Just give me a spoon and I'm happy.

I have to add Nutella. I keep it in the house because my daughter likes it but it takes every fiber of my being to not take that jar with a spoon, sneak down into the basement into the dark space behind the oil tank and devour it like a junkie.
Hahaha!!! YAY!!! xoxo

Yes to the ice cream. And, by the way, the bread and cheese items on the list were a smokescreen to the non-mention of pizza, which -- of course! -- is implied. In abundance!!

I'm not a fan of goat cheese so that's all yours.

Interesting! I also keep Nutella in my house "because my daughter likes it." I, however, do not *have* a daughter. So, um, yeah...

Old 09-07-2017, 02:07 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
I have no idea why some of these things are considered "junk food," including pizza, which can be very nourishing and not at all unhealthy. To me, these are "meals." What do you consider NOT junk food, or is that another post for another day?

Old 09-07-2017, 02:11 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I have no idea why some of these things are considered "junk food," including pizza, which can be very nourishing and not at all unhealthy. To me, these are "meals." What do you consider NOT junk food, or is that another post for another day?
I agree with the pizza but if we're talking regular cheese pizza, that's not exactly nourishing. High quality ingredients with fresh mozzarella makes a huge difference. Orangey, greasy, drippy pizza, not so much lol...that's probably more of a "junk" guilty pleasure

Old 09-07-2017, 02:15 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
It may be high in fat, but it needn't be; nor is fat necessarily "evil" for everyone. Again, what's permissible? Salad?

Old 09-07-2017, 02:20 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It may be high in fat, but it needn't be; nor is fat necessarily "evil" for everyone. Again, what's permissible? Salad?
Lettuce, celery, and water.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:32 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Chocolate eclairs. Napoleons. Petit Four. Allow me to explain.

When I was a very young child, my Great Aunt (her name was Prudence but we all called her Auntie) was a live-in housekeeper for a wealthy Main Line (Philadelphia) family. When she had her Sunday off she would come to visit my Gram who was Auntie's sister and with whom I lived. She always came with a big bag and it was so exciting to see what she'd pull out of there next. On a Sunday following a big party, oh, Lordy, what treasures came out of that bag!

Roasted squab, which I loved until somebody let slip that they were pigeons. But they were deelish! Sometimes there were foreign cheeses and pates in tiny little jars. But the be-all and end-all was when she would pull out the package with the French pastries. I was allowed to sit with the two ladies and even have a cup of tea while I had a taste of what "the rich folks ate". She brought us all this wonderful stuff because it was left over and her employers "didn't eat leftovers". Yay for me!

If there's any guilt when I eat these today, it's because I know I can't really afford the cholesterol. Just not guilty enough to refrain!

Old 09-07-2017, 02:50 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times
I do enjoy a large cream puff- the kind I use to get at Whole foods with a puff pastry shell top and bottom and filled with heavy cream - not too sweet- and it was so huge it filled a large takeout container, dusted with powdered sugar, and in the spring they added a bit of seasonal fruit as well- strawberries and sometimes kiwi, it was an amazing treat.

It was so awesome, I am not sure I really feel guilty at all, it was just delicious....

Old 09-07-2017, 02:54 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,043 times
Gummy candy - sour or not, worms, cokes, bears, cherries... I don't care. Haribo or not, I cannot leave them alone if they're in the house so I don't even walk down that aisle in the store any more. It's out of control and always has been.

Other things, like Lays Sour Cream n' Onion potato chips are at least somewhat manageable for me...

Old 09-07-2017, 06:35 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
French Fries, Bread, carb-y stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink