U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 05:14 AM

1,372 posts, read 352,219 times

Advertisements

She needs to try the knife herself and buy one that actually feels comfortable in her hand. It doesn't matter how much the knife costs, it will be useless if not comfortable for her to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 05:28 AM

4,261 posts, read 2,538,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
She needs to try the knife herself and buy one that actually feels comfortable in her hand. It doesn't matter how much the knife costs, it will be useless if not comfortable for her to use.
I understand knives are personal, and she better give me something in return too.
She has told me the Japanese knives are what she likes. That tells me she has used them. Maybe not this particular brand..
Thats why I come to this forum. Thnx

Old 09-09-2019, 06:47 AM

470 posts, read 126,597 times
I have a set of Shun knives after a friend let me try his.

My go to meat knife is the Shun DM0743 and not too expensive.

I like it cuz it's easy to handle, just the right size, and it stays sharp for a long time. A quick touch up using a good ceramic hone gets it back to 'scary sharp'.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:08 PM

1,372 posts, read 352,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I understand knives are personal, and she better give me something in return too.
She has told me the Japanese knives are what she likes. That tells me she has used them. Maybe not this particular brand..
Thats why I come to this forum. Thnx
If she has tried one that she likes, then ask her what brand and model.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:15 PM

9,419 posts, read 8,665,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
I have a set of Shun knives after a friend let me try his.

My go to meat knife is the Shun DM0743 and not too expensive.

I like it cuz it's easy to handle, just the right size, and it stays sharp for a long time. A quick touch up using a good ceramic hone gets it back to 'scary sharp'.
I just picked up a Shun Santoku. Not exactly a meat knife, but a great multipurpose blade. Works beautifully.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:43 AM

22,719 posts, read 14,902,237 times
I find ceramic knives not flexible when I use them. The blade is stiff and, I fear, brittle.

I had my knives sharpened this summer. To preserve the edge, I am honing with a pull through sharpener. This is a manual sharpener that holds the knife edge at the correct angle, while you pull the knife through a slot. If I need the blade sharpened, there is a sharpening slot.

I cant sharpen with a stone, either. I know Id mess my blades up if I tried.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:30 PM

18,535 posts, read 23,852,010 times
ive used most sharpeners .. for the last 37 yrs

as a purist my fav is a 3 sided stone...
however.... my second fav is a sandpaper electric sharpener...I have 3 of them
the Hobart hookeye (560$ new) to the harbor freight 49.00 sander that works great the trick is to keep a consistent bevel on both sides of the knife...then use a steel....which doesn't actually sharpen the knife...but aligns the knife edge (feathers)

the duller the knife the steeper the bevel...(and lower grit sandpaper).. a decent knife use a shallow bevel...

the handy dandy plastic knife sharpeners that run along the blade for 3-5$ on ebay are also a quick fix..i give them away as gifts..

what dulls a knife is surfaces.... I have wood cutting blocks...the poly tops (hard plastic professional cutting tops) the cheap plastic thin cutting squares actually work quite well too

if you slice on a metal table/surface which seem to be in many old garages/barns when i'd come over and cut up a friends deer this would dull a knife quickly

Old 09-10-2019, 07:45 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,536,865 times
My favorite every day chef knife is Victorinox Fibrox, formerly Forschner. We use a sharpening stick and we're good to go.

Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM

57,461 posts, read 55,674,204 times
On the advice of my dd's chef bf, I bought my s.o. Misen knives. He is happy with them.

Old Today, 09:28 AM

22,719 posts, read 14,902,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
My favorite every day chef knife is Victorinox Fibrox, formerly Forschner. We use a sharpening stick and we're good to go.
The butcher shop we periodically visit uses these knives. I know this because they have a framed display of them, on their wall. I assume they would sell these to customers. I can tell their knives are sharp because I see them using them.

Those butchers wield large curved bladed knives with precision. Their meat is good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or