U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 05:57 PM

23,095 posts, read 29,448,811 times

Advertisements

I guess this is a sort of product review.

I can't sharpen a knife to save my life. After months of begging and not getting knives sharpened, I gave up. I had 80 pounds of meat to cut up and it's a big job with a butcher's knife that is dull as a butter knife, so I bought myself a new knife at the restaurant supply store where I bought the meat. The knives there are designed to be used in commercial kitchens.

First Street seems to be Cash and Carry's house brand and all of their products are good, so I bought myself a First Street knife. It is wonderful. Nice and sharp and the shape is perfect and the handle is well designed plastic with excellent grip to it. Of course, it is a $14 knife so it isn't going to take and hold and edge like an expensive knife, but at the price it is practically disposable.

I've bought myself 2 different sets of ceramic knives and I really like them. (Surprisingly, the really cheap set that I bought to see if I like ceramic knives is a much better set of knives than the more expensive set). But none of the ceramic knives are very long and you aren't supposed to cut anything hard with them. I can cut boneless meat with them, but they are too short to cut a large chunk of meat. For what they are designed for, though, they are certainly good knives.

I've got to find someone who sharpens knives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 06:15 PM

5,214 posts, read 13,504,802 times
Most good hardware stores will sharpen knives...or google "knife sharpening"...a sharp knife is your best friend!

Old 09-06-2017, 06:16 PM

38,931 posts, read 56,749,728 times
First Street? Never heard of this brand. And a knife that cost $14 will not stay sharp to let you cut up 80 lb of meat. A cheap combo stone like a King 1000/6000 should be all you need to sharpen your knives.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DT1X9O
The stone is a compromise - but you can get away using it for at least a year of sharpening every couple of weeks.
This is a good website to check on decent deals:
Kitchen Knives on Sale | Cutlery and More
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:20 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,242,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Most good hardware stores will sharpen knives...or google "knife sharpening"...a sharp knife is your best friend!
I think Freddies sharpens knives- you ask the butcher (it may have been New seasons, it was a while ago, I was shopping with someone else, I hardly ever shop at New Seasons though)...

Old 09-06-2017, 06:51 PM

15,395 posts, read 27,726,532 times
Here is a thread about sharpening knives: Sharpening your knives

Old 09-06-2017, 08:32 PM

15,242 posts, read 19,350,029 times
My husband is an ex-butcher and wholesale meat packing house owner (a very very long time ago). When I bought my first set of ceramic knives, he laughed out loud. LOUDLY.

Then, he used them. And watched me use them, recognizing the lighter weight of the knife made it easier and safer for me to use. I loved the darn things. Only flaw was that my hard use of them meant they needed sharpening fairly frequently. The manufacturer 'return for free and we will sharpen' policy was prohibitively expensive since we had to pay for shipping.

So he bought on of these: https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Shar.../dp/B00S0BEUIY Works perfectly on the ceramic knives and acceptably on the regular knives. Best of all, if/when he croaks, I can use it all by myself (unlike the the steel rod or whetstone. I've never mastered the "art" of those.)

I still use a steel knife to mince garlic and herbs. At least, when I remember that the ceramics don't do a great job at that and they get dull really quickly when used for that purpose.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:42 PM

21,043 posts, read 39,503,832 times
A dull knife is a dangerous knife, you have to use more force to cut with and when it slips you can get a nasty cut.

I've a couple ceramic knives that are excellent. Can't bend, pry or chop with them but they are excellent and stay sharp a good ten years.

We've a knife sharpener who visits our retirement community every other month or so; charges $1/inch and has several tools he uses to provide a good edge.

I've a Chef's Edge motorized sharpener that I use and a sharpening steel.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:20 PM

22,596 posts, read 14,837,309 times
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n...nid=2941120011

I have a sharpener like one of these to sharpen my good German knives, that I waited decades to finally own.

I had a knife "sharpened" at a local hardware store in 2012, and frankly they did a lousy job. I would never give them a good knife to sharpen. It is really hard to find a good knife sharpener. I wish I knew of one.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:35 PM

12,446 posts, read 11,079,336 times
The sharpest knife I own is a Shun Nakiri. My wife won't even look at it, let alone use it. No one around here can sharpen the knife, so I have to send it to Shun for sharpening.

Old Yesterday, 05:00 AM

4,259 posts, read 2,533,300 times
I am looking at getting a Takamura Migaki R2 Gyuto 210mm knife. Having a sharp knife is critical. Trying different knives over here for my daughter as she wants a Japanese style knife. She is in culinary school and working as line Chef too. Thoughts? Not cheap, I know. But a tool for work shouldnt be cheap quality.
https://youtu.be/gx1pP1JHhCA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or