U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 01:49 PM

6,724 posts, read 11,739,154 times

Advertisements

Some of my favorite recipes say things like, "Look, chicken thighs are not that expensive to begin with, so you should REALLY just buy organic for this recipe."

So I tried that once. The price was 3-4 times the "regular" non-organic sale price (which for bone-in thighs is typically <$1/lb., boneless thighs maybe twice that).

Maybe because these thighs were used as part of a recipe with sauce etc., I did NOT notice any difference AT ALL in taste. That is, the chicken tasted the same as always (which is usually to say, delicious! ).

I think I was supposed to notice a difference?

I suspect that things like organic tomatoes (or even better, home-grown tomatoes) are better than non-organic or non-home-grown. But when you use meat/poultry as part of a dish where the sauce is really the "star," does organic vs. non-organic really matter? I guess what I'm really asking is, Is your palate sophisticated enough to discern the difference?

Alas, mine isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 02:08 PM

16,222 posts, read 25,424,039 times
Picture it. Sicily. 1922.

Errrr, no, that's Sophia from The Golden Girls.

Picture it. Montreal. 1988. I'd just moved out on my own and was about to do my first major grocery order. My friend's mother told me that when I get chicken, make sure to get kosher chicken -- it's "SO MUCH BETTER." [Important note: She's Jewish. I'm Jewish. Neither of us keep even remotely kosher. Hi, bacon! Hi, shrimp!] So, I go to the grocery store, start filling my cart, grab a package of kosher chicken breasts, keep filling my cart, get to the "regular" meat section and hmmm, chicken breasts again. Let me look at the price and OHMYGOD! IS SHE INSANE??? I put the "regular" chicken breasts into my cart, marched the kosher ones back to the kosher section, and carried on with my life with more money in my pocket, thankyouverymuch.

To answer your question: I've had kosher and non-kosher chicken. I've never tasted the difference. I've had organic and non-organic chicken. I've never tasted the difference. Maybe I've burned my taste buds off with all the hot pepperoni pizza (which... dairy and meat together... also not kosher ).

Old 09-11-2017, 02:13 PM

6,724 posts, read 11,739,154 times
LOL, oh Dawn, my sweet friend, you make me laugh SO much.

Alas, I cannot rep you again, so pretend this is a "rep" comment.

==========

P.S. Where's my kidney? (Sorry, I have been up since 1:41 a.m., I am punchy!!)

Old 09-11-2017, 02:16 PM

18,977 posts, read 10,040,378 times
We have a local brand here that they promote as natural and hormone free although I don't think it's labeled as organic. And yes, I can taste a difference and it really truly does taste better. But it's at least twice as expensive and I only buy it when I find it with a mark down label on it.

And I wish chicken thighs were regularly a dollar a pound around here! I did get some at that price yesterday - I stocked up because that was a sale price on bulk packs. These days, it's usually $2 and up for non-sale chicken pieces.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:16 PM

16,222 posts, read 25,424,039 times
Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! OMG, hilarious!! Nap time!

Old 09-11-2017, 02:17 PM

9,270 posts, read 7,289,484 times
Very little taste difference. The real concern is your acceptance of potential hormones or antibiotics in the meat or whether you care if the animal was fed grain or lived on natural grass.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:22 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
...whether you care if the animal was fed grain or lived on natural grass.
I guess those non-organic chickens are fed a diet of Astro Turf. I wonder what a non-organic chicken looks like.

I went to a local Asian grocer recently, and I noticed several chickens in the freezer labeled "old chicken". Supposedly, they taste a lot different than supermarket chickens and make excellent soup stock.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:35 PM

18,807 posts, read 6,138,018 times
I'm tired of chicken but when I do buy it, it's organic and the last breast tenders were
Rocky Jr. Something about dirty chickens. The taste of chickens are just not like the old day chickens. My friend makes chicken stock for her soups and she uses Empire Kosher, says best flavor.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:56 PM

18,852 posts, read 12,473,150 times
I buy certain organic produce items, i can't afford to go completely organic though.

You have to make the best choices you can to fit the demands of your pocketbook.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:59 PM

1,466 posts, read 919,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
We have a local brand here that they promote as natural and hormone free although I don't think it's labeled as organic. And yes, I can taste a difference and it really truly does taste better. But it's at least twice as expensive and I only buy it when I find it with a mark down label on it.

And I wish chicken thighs were regularly a dollar a pound around here! I did get some at that price yesterday - I stocked up because that was a sale price on bulk packs. These days, it's usually $2 and up for non-sale chicken pieces.

USDA does not allow hormones to be used in chickens. The only hormones in a chicken are the ones that are present due to the bird's natural physiology. Same with pork.

Here are the USDA rules for the terms "natural" and "hormone free".

NATURAL:
A product containing no artificial ingredient or added color and is only minimally processed. Minimal processing means that the product was processed in a manner that does not fundamentally alter the product. The label must include a statement explaining the meaning of the term natural (such as "no artificial ingredients; minimally processed").

NO HORMONES (pork or poultry):
Hormones are not allowed in raising hogs or poultry. Therefore, the claim "no hormones added" cannot be used on the labels of pork or poultry unless it is followed by a statement that says "Federal regulations prohibit the use of hormones."

See for yourself at the USDA meat & poultry labeling rules page.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal...8Ay-NlYw!!/#15
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink