Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 03:46 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,706,322 times

Advertisements

Yes, very important for you to follow guidelines. Sorry you both have troubling health issues, hope you are doing better.

You can still do the fresh veggies cut and ready to use or snack on...

B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Unfortunately we do not have the ability to do the things you listed.
I have to have ingredient lists and nutrition labels on everything.
Mr. CSD is diaabetic and I have an auto immune liver disease and I had a stroke 2 years ago on August 18.
With the daily medications and dietary needs we do eat at home most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 03:49 PM

Love your suggestions...

so easy to make a bad decision if you are tired and hungry.

Yes, yes, yes to the chicken stir fry with peanut sauce!

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
This sounds great, going to try this next week. Given our late nights at work we usually make bad last minute decisions to go out to eat, so I want to try to prep some meals on Sunday that could be eaten maybe twice during the week. I also think a chicken stir fry with a bottled peanut sauce, soy or hoisin sauce can work too. Just do the veggie chopping on sunday and steam up the rice in a rice cooker on Monday.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:50 PM

Not sure how healthy but the sw potatoes SOUND GOOD

QUOTE=arrieros81;49527954]Are frozen sweet potato fries healthy?

I also keep frozen stir-fry vegetables in the freezer, though I'm not happy with the frozen stir-fry vegetables from BJ's... too many carrots in the mix.[/quote]

Old 09-15-2017, 03:52 PM

LOL...so true

QUOTE=stan4;49528404]Well, yes, but that would seriously cut into people's dicking around on the internet time.[/quote]

Old 09-15-2017, 03:53 PM

Thanks...

QUOTE=DawnMTL;49528586]The OP's question was "Your favorite healthy and quick meal extenders...???"

Why does every post question have to turn into a judgmental list of answers telling them that they're living their life wrong?

No answer to the actual question? Don't answer.[/quote]

Old 09-15-2017, 03:56 PM

Yep, most of us like that rotisserie chicken

Love Indian...will look for your recommendations

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This seemed like such an innocent thread; I'm shocked at all the judgy posters. You're welcome to come over and try to get my husband (who owns a business and works erratic hours) and my three busy kids (a college student, a high school student, and a middle schooler) "on a schedule" so we can all eat the same thing at the same time every day.

Back to the topic, I've never been able to cook a chicken at home that was as tasty and juicy as a store-bought rotisserie chicken. With a little creativity, I can get two or even three meals out of it (pot pie, chicken salad, etc.)

We always have hummus and raw vegetables (carrots, celery, cucumber, bell peppers) on hand for those frequent moments when someone is starving.

I try not to rely on frozen premade foods, but Trader Joe's has a few that we like and that are pretty healthful, especially their Indian entrees like saag paneer and channa masala, so I usually have a couple of those around.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:57 PM

18,793 posts, read 27,223,935 times
Eat raw. Healthy as it gets and saves time in kitchen.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:57 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,442,452 times
Pre-chopped fresh vegetables at the supermarket, some raw meat like ground turkey, and throw them both onto the pan. Some cooking oil onto the pan, add some everything spice from Trader Joes (for flavor, and to extend its shelf life after cooking), and after 5 to 10 minutes of cooking, meal is served! Well, no starch, but toast some bread, a can of no salt added corn, cook up pasta, or leftover starch, and you're still good to go!

You do have to clean up by putting leftovers into touperware to fridge, but getting pre-chopped veggies has been a time saver for me since I'm still not proficient at chopping quickly.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:58 PM

With you on the mixed salads with nuts or etc. I like one particular Asian mix...so easy and I always eat the entire bag, no waste like with lettuce, as you said...

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have found that many one pot dinners are enhanced by a few handfuls of fresh spinach. I almost always have a bag or two in the fridge. Similarly, I'm a recent convert to the pre packaged salad mixes. There are a few with kale and shredded Brussels sprouts, nuts, berries and dressings, that we love.
I used to pass these by for cost reasons but I figure I save throwing out a lot of lettuce and expired salad dressings.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:01 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,077,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Hey there stan4....
no reps left today

Need to do better re having fresh veggies ready to eat...sounds like you have a great meal planning program!

[/b]
LOL!

It's not planning so much as a giant basket full of fruits and veggies sitting on our counter and endless trips to the grocery store (which luckily is less than 0.5 miles away).

I go to the Costco for the paper goods (like my blue Charmin), and then I just grab chicken breasts out of the freezer section.

A couple of years ago, we bought a freezer for the garage. Man, that's changed things. We bought a grass-fed wagyu cow and split it 4 ways with some friends. Half a side of awesome, healthy, tasty beef in the garage freezer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink