Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 05:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Russian Caravan Tea sounds interesting...

Do the hard green tomatoes soften easily when using them in cooking?? I usually just make oven fried green tomatoes...

[/b]
They slice nicely, as you probably know. They do not stay hard when cooked in a chili. They soften and add a subtlety to the flavor. There was no down side to using them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 07:26 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I discovered this secret ingredient for my dry rubs and street taco meats...

It makes a difference
I was just going to post about True Citrus. I use this all the time, sometime to flavor seltzer and sometime in a cocktail. Occasionally, I also cook with it. It adds a nice touch to several low carb desert recipes.

A side note: I recently ordered several flavors from the True Citrus website, then found the products cheaper on Amazon.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:02 PM

A product we are buying regularly now is the Blue Diamond Almond crackers. They are lower in carbs and tasty!

Old 09-22-2017, 11:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
I was just going to post about True Citrus. I use this all the time, sometime to flavor seltzer and sometime in a cocktail. Occasionally, I also cook with it. It adds a nice touch to several low carb desert recipes.

A side note: I recently ordered several flavors from the True Citrus website, then found the products cheaper on Amazon.
I've used that for years, mostly in water. So good.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:47 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I dislike fish taste, but vowed to buy anchovy paste for when I want more umame flavor (I like and use fish sauce), and found an umame paste at TJ's that is anchovy and tomato.

LOVE IT!!!

Anchovy paste and fish sauce are two of the foulest substances ... but they make so many dishes taste a lot better. And if your crew is mostly Western, no one will have a clue of what you used to get that flavor.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:11 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Anchovy paste and fish sauce are two of the foulest substances ... but they make so many dishes taste a lot better. And if your crew is mostly Western, no one will have a clue of what you used to get that flavor.
I don't like fish much but don't have your view of fish, anchovy or oyster sauce. I think in large part it's cultural, it is quite common here.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-24-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Anchovy paste can give meatlove a flavor boost. Or, maybe, I should say, it adds a little depth of flavor.

I am curious what you use it for.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:45 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I love chiles in adobo sauce. I love putting bits of the sauce in chilli and stews.

Other discoveries are Stash's Peppermint tea and Choice brand Russian Caravan tea.
I'm fond of Stash's Moroccan Mint tea with a good dose of sugar. Good hot or cold.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:05 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,844 times
Quote:
Agree

take a direct whiff of either and it will make you wanna puke

But either of those in the hands of a skilled chef / cook can make some awesome dishes where the harsh direct taste is blended in very nicely with the dish and is incredible

Old 09-24-2017, 06:02 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't like fish much but don't have your view of fish, anchovy or oyster sauce. I think in large part it's cultural, it is quite common here.

My point is that if you take it straight, it is not very appetizing. Incorporate it in dishes? Do it all of the time.

If i told people that I was using it, they probably would not touch the dish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink