Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 06:52 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times

Advertisements

Farmed salmon problems

Any lice with that salmon? Parasite plagues global industry | WKRG

Wild salmon problems

Warm waters off West Coast has lingering effects for salmon - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 08:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Don't know about that, but I was super disappointed in the Salmon we had the other night: it was so strong I had trouble believing it was real Salmon. If I didn't love Salmon so much (most of the time) I would find another favorite fish Maybe some of what you posted has to do with why it was so strong.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:57 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Don't know about that, but I was super disappointed in the Salmon we had the other night: it was so strong I had trouble believing it was real Salmon. If I didn't love Salmon so much (most of the time) I would find another favorite fish Maybe some of what you posted has to do with why it was so strong.
That is an indication of poor handling and processing. When is held in the round for too long, gets too warm before it is iced or refrigerated prior to processing, or after processing, and/or not processed properly will all lead to strong "fishy" tasting product.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:45 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
That is an indication of poor handling and processing. When is held in the round for too long, gets too warm before it is iced or refrigerated prior to processing, or after processing, and/or not processed properly will all lead to strong "fishy" tasting product.
This. I would question the handling between the processor and your point of purchase, i.e. shipping and/or the store.

I think if there was a problem on the boat, the processor would grade it down to pet food. But once it is loaded on a truck it could accidentally go through some freeze/thaw cycles due to faulty refrigeration. Same with your local supermarket.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:12 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Couple these challenges with escaped salmon interacting with wild salmon and it is a disaster in the making.
Washington Declares Open Season On Escaped Aquaculture Salmon : The Two-Way : NPR

Old 09-18-2017, 01:17 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Was it farmed salmon?

Old 09-18-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Was it farmed salmon?
Total garbage, among other things. It appears that when I comment on my dislike of farmed salmon , regardless of facts and its negative impacts, my posts get deleted by MODS, so I will refrain from further comment.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:36 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Total garbage, among other things. It appears that when I comment on my dislike of farmed salmon , regardless of facts and its negative impacts, my posts get deleted by MODS, so I will refrain from further comment.
What are you talking about? Your opinions have not been deleted.

See post #13 and #34 here: News, After Finding Out A Common Food Is Processed In China.

See post #32 and #39 here: News, After Finding Out A Common Food Is Processed In China.

Paranoia about farmed fish. Paranoia about mods deleting your posts. Hmmm.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:22 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
...It appears that when I comment on my dislike of farmed salmon , regardless of facts and its negative impacts, my posts get deleted by MODS, so I will refrain from further comment.
I don't think your posts get deleted any more frequently than my posts stating that I prefer the fattier farmed salmon from reputable salmon farms. Now, if you added a personal attack in your post, or your post referenced an orphaned post, it will get deleted.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
What are you talking about? Your opinions have not been deleted.

See post #13 and #34 here: News, After Finding Out A Common Food Is Processed In China.

See post #32 and #39 here: News, After Finding Out A Common Food Is Processed In China.

Paranoia about farmed fish. Paranoia about mods deleting your posts. Hmmm.
There have been threads other than the one you are referencing. Imagine that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink