Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:13 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
such a good idea.
i love starbucks though. after youve accustomed yourself to it nothing compares! no other coffee (no matter how strong i make it) can stimulate me like starbucks. i literally get a high from it and love it.
i dont drink the fancy schmancy drinks just plain coffee (i cant stand it when ALL i want is a plain coffee which takes about a second to pump out and im IN line behind 5 people who want frappaccinos. there should be a separate line for those crazy crappaccino people.
I totally agree, Nicole. I'm a strong, black coffee drinker. "No cream, no sugar, no fluff, no line" the sign should read & we should have VIP passes. Our golden, evil witch's brew is pre-made & only needs to be poured. Heck, I'll get it myself! Leave the cups & lids at a self-check scanner. Okay, forget the lids, just give me a cup! My name is Kittens & I'm a Starbucks addict!

I very occasionally like the fancy schmancy drinks... I just refuse to pay for them & make them at home instead. Like you, nothing tastes as hearty (I drink only Guinness, too - strong, dark, black), but I just recently tried Peet's French Roast & believe it or not, I like it better! Never thought I'd say that after 15-yrs. I don't like Seattle's Best or any local gourmet cafe/shop I've ever been to. It doesn't have the bite I need. If you have a Peet's in your area, perhaps one day you can try it? They also sell both at Stop & Shop Markets in Boston. Same price as Starbucks, but I'm enjoying it for a change. Now that Christmas Blend came out, I'm back to Starbucks for the holiday. I'm in London & there's plenty of those evil demon pushers (I mean Starbucks) about... love it!

Have fun... VV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 04:24 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times
Default Starbucks Thread

In recent years, I became addicted to Starbucks coffee. ( I am now just getting off it). However, I was so addicted, I was drinking 2-3 Venti (large) Coffees a day!!! According to the Starbucks website, there is 415mg of caffeine in one Venti coffee!!! (To give you a general idea, coffee usually has 120-200mg of caffeine in regular cup, while tea is only 40mg of caffeine) Hence, I needed at least 830mg of caffeine to get through the day!!! Two Large McDonalds Coffees were not strong enough.
Anyway, the caffeine was interefering with my sleep, even when the last bit of coffee was in the afternoon. I always had to pee and I was too tired to do anything without the coffee. Therefore, I am going off the caffeine very gradually...I am now down to one Venti a day and I plan on ending coffee consumption within two weeks.

That story leads me to this question...Did Starbucks make the coffee so strong on purpose to get people addicted? (If so, it seems a bit unethical to do so). Is that a rumor or has it somehow been proven?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:27 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Find a Tim Hortons. Much cheaper and much better coffee.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:58 AM

837 posts, read 1,709,583 times
I like Starbucks too, but I usually just get a small regular. I'm too cheap to go for the fancy drinks. However, the reason I like Starbucks is because they brew their coffee strong, but it never has the bad flavors associated with old coffee or coffee brewed in an unclean pot. Strong freshly ground coffee is going to have more caffeine than weaker coffee that sits for a while after being ground.

Is Tim Horton's in the states now? I thought it was a Canadian thing. Does have a good reputation.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:52 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,126 times
I like Starbucks because their coffee is strong but not bitter. BUT, I always order decaf. Same great taste without the so much caffeine.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:42 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,098 times
Lentzr, good luck! i quit coffee once. it didnt last long. im cutting down now since it's interfering with my sleep, too.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:23 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
That story leads me to this question...Did Starbucks make the coffee so strong on purpose to get people addicted? (If so, it seems a bit unethical to do so). Is that a rumor or has it somehow been proven?
No. I think that's just a stupid rumor. Realize that venti = 20oz, where an average 'cup' of coffee is 8oz.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:52 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,400,486 times
I visit Starbucks on payday Friday mornings on the way to work. Either get the mocha Venti or pumpkin spice frappicinno. YUM-O

Old 10-29-2010, 01:07 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,873,009 times
Default Starbucks- Are there any chain coffee shops cheaper?

I like Starbucks- it's just that they are quite costly.
Are there any other nationwide chain coffee shops that are similar to Starbucks but are cheaper in cost?

Thanks.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:37 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Sure Dunkin' Donuts, Denny's and just about any other coffee serving joint out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink