Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 11:49 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,770,758 times

Advertisements

I have a recipe that calls for one white onion and one red onion. Whats the difference between them. And who has two different kinds of onions on hand unless they are a professional cook somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 11:57 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I have a recipe that calls for one white onion and one red onion. Whats the difference between them. And who has two different kinds of onions on hand unless they are a professional cook somewhere.
Dude, you really need to take a couple of cooking classes or something. It's not at all unusual to use different kinds of onions in a dish, whether that be white, yellow, red onions, or leeks, scallions or shallots. What is this recipe?

White onions have a stronger flavor and are most often cooked. Red onions are milder and can be eaten raw, or they're added at the end of cooking to finish a dish and add some color and flavor.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-20-2017 at 12:09 PM..

Old 09-20-2017, 12:00 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Dude, you really need to take a couple of cooking classes or something. It's not at all unusual to use different kinds of onions in a dish, whether that be white, yellow, red, or leeks, scallions or shallots. What is this recipe?

White onions have a stronger flavor and are most often cooked. Red onions are milder and can be eaten raw, or they're added at the end of cooking to finish a dish and add some color and flavor.
I agree. I always keep various onions on hand. White, yellow or Spanish and shallots for cooking, red for salads. I never know what mood I'm in or what I'm going to whip up lol

Old 09-20-2017, 12:01 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
I find white onions quite mild, it is the yellow ones which are stronger. I think you can use 2 of whatever kind of onion you have on hand, for your recipe. I often have different types of onions on hand, but we are onion fiends

fleetie wrote:

Dude, you really need to take a couple of cooking classes or something. It's not at all unusual to use different kinds of onions in a dish, whether that be white, yellow, red, or leeks, scallions or shallots. What is this recipe?

OP does not need a cooking class, this is a cooking forum, where people can come & ask questions.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
You complain about two types of onions? Dude, I stock 5 types of flour in my pantry at all times.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:52 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post

OP does not need a cooking class, this is a cooking forum, where people can come & ask questions.
Yeah, sure, on the one hand everybody has to start somewhere and you don't know if you don't ask, but on the other the OP has a history of starting threads asking stuff like
"are lemons and limes are the same thing?" that make me wonder if he is an alien.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:10 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I currently have on hand: white, red, yellow, sweet yellow and green.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-20-2017, 01:29 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
LOL funny...

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yeah, sure, on the one hand everybody has to start somewhere and you don't know if you don't ask, but on the other the OP has a history of starting threads asking stuff like
"are lemons and limes are the same thing?" that make me wonder if he is an alien.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:49 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,379,498 times
People evolve with their cooking. Back in my 20's and just learning to cook an onion was either a big round white thing or little bulbs with green tops. Now, I have white, yellow, red, shallots, scallions and the occasional leek (if I'm doing a seafood stew especially).
I can't say I have 5 kinds of flour though -- but then I am a terrible baker

Last edited by grampaTom; 09-20-2017 at 03:51 PM..

Old 09-20-2017, 03:03 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You complain about two types of onions? Dude, I stock 5 types of flour in my pantry at all times.
Flour doesn't go bad - or at least not as soon as onions do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink