Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:20 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Yea I have never been to NY - I just figured everything there is super expensive as I know real estate / housing and rent is very costly there.

I notice extreme differences in quality and taste from Teriyaki places in the same neighborhood. No doubt east coast - west coast Teriyaki is hugely differant

There are a couple local places who I really like the way its prepared and the sauce they use works for me.
So I of course frequent those places. No need to experiment unless I am out of town and the urge hits me.
Sometimes prices can be lower in a high cost area like NYC or L.A if the place can do enough volume .
For example there are a number of $1 per slice pizza places in NYC

I have noticed in L.A that many places have been raising their prices pretty significantly . For example if something goes up from $7.99 to $8.99 some might say "it's just a dollar" but percentage wise that's about 12 percent or so . Within a year that's a pretty big jump .

I'm sure things will be significantly higher when min wage is $15 hr in 2020 .. also min wage here keeps going up every year by law .

McDonalds now pays $12 hr in L.A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 11:51 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
We don't have any Teriyaki take out places around her except China Panda at the mall, which I never go to. Wish there were. I make my own.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:04 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
We don't have any Teriyaki take out places around her except China Panda at the mall, which I never go to. Wish there were. I make my own.
Curious where you are ?

Maybe a great biz opportunity for you or someone you know !

Yea around here the Panda Express at the malls is the WORST possible places to eat teriyaki or Chinese food. Worst value and worse tasting food ( too much MSG and mass produced - nothing is fresh )

Last edited by StrkAliteN; 09-22-2017 at 12:36 PM..

Old 09-22-2017, 12:31 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Fancy meeting you here , lol.

Flame Broiler is pretty good. Also Waba grill. I prefer Waba grill a bit better.

Is the mom and pop place Yaki's in Burbank?... I haven't been there but it sounds like that place. I've looked it up before and driven by many times.
Yeah, Yakis If you go make sure to get at least one Bulldog regardless of how wrong it sounds.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:40 PM

619 posts, read 575,367 times
Live in New Jersey, work in NYC.

I don't do a lot of eating out.

When I get teriyaki or similar at the mall /chain, it's ~7.00 for chicken ruce/noodles and vegetables.

Mid range restaurants usually charge ~10 for a lunch or supper *special* includes soup/salad, egg roll, possibly a drink.

There's a Thai place near my office that has a $9 lunch special and that is more than enough for two meals so it's a really good deal. They in le five or six options including teriyaki chicken, pad Thai, tofu etc.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:47 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
I don't get why people can't make their own teriyaki chicken. Have you seen how it's made? It is super easy as long as you got the right meat.

Chicken thighs are cheap and is the main chicken part these places use including Chipotles because thighs stay moist and tender cooking with high heat where as breast meat dries up and doesn't taste juicy if it's been cut up in small pieces.

I would simply cut the thigh into small pieces with a cleaver then toss it into a mixing bowl and put in garlic, teriyaki sauce, and some rice wine. Let it marinade atleast 1/2 hour or so then you are ready to toss it on a hot pan.

I wouldn't pay more than $7 as many eatries here in NJ malls have for $6.49 with rice.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
What's a teriyaki take out place? Like Chinese food? Can't say I've seen a teriyaki place where I live. We have a hibachi place and Chinese food.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:13 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
For a pint size it is $3.75
For a quart of it, it's $6.50

You can add a 2-liter bottle of soda for $1.00 extra and you also get a couple of free egg rolls or spring rolls with it.

I'm in NW Pennsylvania.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:24 PM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
It really depends on the quality of chicken. I think the local plate lunch would be around $10, but the chicken has that yellow, globby fat, and I don't eat that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-22-2017, 03:02 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It really depends on the quality of chicken. I think the local plate lunch would be around $10, but the chicken has that yellow, globby fat, and I don't eat that.
Yea a place like that would quickly go out of business near me due to all the other Teriyaki joints / competition

All the places I have been served perfectly cooked, skinless chicken thighs with zero fat or grisel or anything but perfectly prepared and cooked chicken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink