Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 09:40 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,099 times

Advertisements

Yea I have read the claims of the prepackaged and portioned delivery dinner items and see the brag where they are so proud that it is just 9-10$ a plate / serving for a family of 4 each meal.

I am pretty frugal and splurge on nice items for dinner often and also eat on the cheap very frugal items ( rice potatoes beans etc )

I personally think $30-40 for a single meal to feed a family of 4 at HOME is pretty expensive for your average dinner.
Yea if you are having 4 NY steaks or a rack of lamb or 4 lobsters its an OK price. But I am willing to bet the meat servings are not what I listed as well as the meat entree' portion in their prepackaged dinners is on the small size per serving ( willing to bet the meat serving is close to 6-8oz per person )

I am sure some are happy with the service as society likes prepackaged simplicity and has proven in the past, YES they will pay extra for it

the majority of us would not as we can eat better meals for much less doing it the old fashion way

just my thoughts .....

Old 09-21-2017, 11:27 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I wouldn't eat that if it were free.

That's all I can add, because I do not understand the post.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-21-2017, 11:33 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Of course not. But if expense is a long term concern, people could make a small investment in buying a small deep freezer. It will pay for itself in under 3 months.
I live downtown in a large city where space is a premium and there is nowhere for me to put a small or otherwise freezer.

You assume everyone's circumstances are similar to yours.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I live downtown in a large city where space is a premium and there is nowhere for me to put a small or otherwise freezer.

You assume everyone's circumstances are similar to yours.
I assume nothing. My point is that people always have options to optimize their situation. Even a normal refrigerator freezer can hold a week's worth of meals that's cheaper than $9.95 a plate. FYI, a small freezer is 2 ft x 3 ft. Many dishes can be packed and frozen relatively flat.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:59 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
I will take the wine and skip the rest. Canned soup and chicken breast does not sound particularly appetizing. Sorry!

Old 09-21-2017, 12:07 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
It's cheaper than the lobster rolls I make at home all the time.

...or the harpooned swordfish

...or the seared scallops

I was unemployed for 14 1/2 months at the Great Recession and made a game out of seeing if I could live well on an unemployment check. Keeping the protein to chicken, pork, eggs, & canned tuna, and eating reasonably priced produce like romaine heart 3-packs with only small amounts of the other good salad stuff, I could make a $3.00 dinner that was high quality. Normally, food cost is a tiny fraction of my discretionary spending so I'm not going to sweat $40/pound lobster meat or $24/pound harpooned swordfish at my local fish market.

I'm working in a city 3 days per week. A lot of the time, I walk to a Halal food cart. Salad, rice, chicken/lamb/falafel, some chick peas, and a sliced pita with a beverage for $5.00. It's kind of pointless to brown bag it at those prices.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:11 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I will take the wine and skip the rest. Canned soup and chicken breast does not sound particularly appetizing. Sorry!
We discovered a totally drinkable Portuguese wine that costs $4.50/bottle when you buy it by the case. I'm usually something of a wine snob but it's tough to beat that quality for that price.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:45 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
If you are talking about services like Blue Apron then all of their ingredients are organic, sustainably sourced from local farmers etc etc. So the only comparison would be putting together the same meal from similar ingredients. Put together a meal like that shopping at Whole Foods and I would assume it's going to be close to $10/portion.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:45 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
I have considered subscribing to a meal delivery services, as it is possible to for me to save money by doing so (I estimate that it would probably cut my weekly grocery bills in half), but the meals are often very carb-heavy. I prefer to buy high-quality proteins, and don't eat a lot of pasta and potatoes, so the potential savings isn't worthwhile to me.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:47 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
cheap chicken breast from corporate farms pumped up with hormones and antibiotics swimming in cheap canned soup full of sodium and preservatives doesn't sound like a great way to live. I'll gladly pay a couple of bucks more for something that isn't going to take 10 years off my life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink