Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 08:59 AM

619 posts, read 575,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I am no stranger to Costcos rotisserie chickens - you are correct, they are fantastic ! Both tasty and excellent value.

I buy at least 1 a week. And get more than a few meals out of it.

I do not use them for sandwiches though.
Rotisserie chicken, or chicken breast(I usually but the whole chicken breast) is great for sandwiches.

Gently pull off the bone, slice thin, build your sandwich -good bakery bread, mustard, chicken, cheese, here (pickles, tomato, sprout etc( bread.

Or pesto, chicken, sprinkle of parm, vegetables etc

Or tapanade, chicken, feta, vegetables etc

Really endless possibilities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 09:09 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Yes I understand the buy in bulk concept and I get the math involved as well as the $$$ savings
Then you missed my point entirely. My point was "cook it yourself from raw animal flesh". I then pointed out ways to further reduce your costs by buying when things are on sale, freezing them, and cooking a week at a time worth of lunch meat.

Prepared food is expensive. It's where grocery store profit comes from. No different than buying baked goods rather than baking it yourself. If you want to cut food costs, you make all your own food. If you want to further cut your costs, you buy larger quantities of things and pay attention to sales.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:15 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Then you missed my point entirely. My point was "cook it yourself from raw animal flesh". I then pointed out ways to further reduce your costs by buying when things are on sale, freezing them, and cooking a week at a time worth of lunch meat.

Prepared food is expensive. It's where grocery store profit comes from. No different than buying baked goods rather than baking it yourself. If you want to cut food costs, you make all your own food. If you want to further cut your costs, you buy larger quantities of things and pay attention to sales.
You would be wrong as I completely understood your point

I just choose not to go that route

Its easier to just not purchase their over priced product ( and complain about it )

I do not HAVE to have it ... would I like to have it ? yes - absolutely

I choose not to pay the over inflated prices they are asking and I choose not to buy them massive bulk like you do and prepare myself and stash away big leftovers to use and re-use

I will just eat other things ... which is what I have done for the past 5+ years ( actually closer to 8-10yrs now )

Old 09-24-2017, 09:19 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
Rotisserie chicken, or chicken breast(I usually but the whole chicken breast) is great for sandwiches.

Gently pull off the bone, slice thin, build your sandwich -good bakery bread, mustard, chicken, cheese, here (pickles, tomato, sprout etc( bread.
I bought a day-old cold rotisserie chicken yesterday. It was $2.67 instead of the $5.00 the warm ones cost. It's for lunch food so it was going into the fridge anyways.

I also buy things like ham ends. It's usually about 50% "mistake" sliced ham and the other half big hunks of ham ends. I use the sliced part as lunch meat and freeze the rest for things like split pea & ham soup. $1.99/pound.

I'm high enough income that $12.00/pound "Whole Paycheck" deli meat from that Amazon.com subsidiary is no big deal but I don't buy it very often. It's like using the GasBuddy smartphone application to buy gasoline at the cheapest gas station along my route. I can afford the higher price but why would I. Over the course of a year, paying a bit of attention to prices really adds up.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:46 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
I have been to those places and would never return

The quality and quantity of the tiny pre-portioned packets of slimy deli meat they put on a sub is laughable. They are putting like 3-4 slices of deli meat on a 6" long sub roll ?? hahahaha
Then they cut a square piece of cheese IN HALF so its now a triangle and call THAT a slice of cheese ! hahahah You want extra ? sure pay more $$$ for an extra 1/2 slice of cheese

The subway biggest scam is not cutting the sub in half and making a full size sandwich like everyone would make with a top and bottom piece of bread.

NOOOOO .... their trick scam is make a slice along one side of the sub roll and jam a smaller quantity of product into the small slit so it sticks out and creates the illusion of over flowing ingredients which is completely misleading.

I walked out of a subway 10yrs ago without paying when I saw them trying that scam on me. Do they think the consumer is blind or stupid ?
I don't particularly like Subway, but I haven't had any problem with the other places. Haven't noticed the meat being any more "slimy" than it is when I buy it sliced at the grocery store deli. And a lot of deli places use Boar's Head, the same deli meat you'd get at the grocery store. I think they put on plenty of meat - sometimes TOO MUCH for my liking. I don't think they are trying to "trick" me, either. My husband gets Reuben the Great from Jason's Deli and it has so much meat on it, I would have to take most of it off it were me. I HAVE taken some of the meat off when I have gotten Firehouse Subs. And I have never found Jimmy John's to be lacking in meat, either.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:55 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't particularly like Subway, but I haven't had any problem with the other places. Haven't noticed the meat being any more "slimy" than it is when I buy it sliced at the grocery store deli. And a lot of deli places use Boar's Head, the same deli meat you'd get at the grocery store. I think they put on plenty of meat - sometimes TOO MUCH for my liking. I don't think they are trying to "trick" me, either. My husband gets Reuben the Great from Jason's Deli and it has so much meat on it, I would have to take most of it off it were me. I HAVE taken some of the meat off when I have gotten Firehouse Subs. And I have never found Jimmy John's to be lacking in meat, either.

I am glad the sub places near you treat the customer good.

I tried the following near me years ago and will NEVER go back

Couple diff subways
Also tried a Quiznoes sub place
Also a Jimmy Johns was my last try about 4 yrs ago.

all 3 are national chains sub places and every single time I saw the skimpy small low quality / non fresh looking meat getting put on the sandwich.

Walked out of subway without paying as I saw what was happening and left the food there as you pay after they hand you the sub

With Quiznos I saw the nasty small packet of sllinmy proportioned chicken getting put on my sub and took one for the team and ate it as there they make you pay 1st - then make your sub

Lastly the Jimmy Johns makes your 'fresh sub' hahahaha completely out of your view as the counter design blocks your view of the process ( I am sure this is intentional ) When I got the sub home I just laughed as I knew I had been duped. An $8 sub that had possible 20 cents worth of 4-5 thin slices of lunch meat on it and maybe 5 cents of veggies and a 35 cent roll. They have quite the scam business model going

Old 09-24-2017, 11:01 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,072,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Anyone from Chicagoland, NY, or any other big city should venture to Polish or German area and buy great, fresh baked European bread and their coldcuts. Both countries are famous for excellent quality of those items. They are cheaper than in your local market too. (WARNING: after you try them, you will never buy those at your supermarkets again!!!!)
Your post reminds me...when I want to purchase Kalamata olives I go to our neighborhood Armenian deli
and get them.
There they sell them for $4.99 lb, compared to say Whole Foods or Sprouts that wants $8.99-$10.99lb.

And yes, their meats and cheeses are less expensive too.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:16 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Over here in So Cal, Vons has decent deli meat which ranges in price between $8-14, depending what it is. Their Primo Taglio line includes pan roasted turkey breast, ham off the bone, roast beef, etc. They also sell Dietz & Watson, but I've never purchased those meats since the PT line is just fine for my family's tastes.

What I do is buy in bulk when they drop the price for $5 Fridays or I get customized savings through their store app based on my purchase history. I've received deals where I purchased their $13.99 a pound roast beef for $4.77 a pound.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:44 PM

6,704 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:
Yes I am sure I could get the cost down to $10ish a lb regularly if I put in the effort and bought 2-3lbs of premium cold cuts at once from Costco ( likely 1/2 goes to waste - so where is the savings there ? )

No doubt other grocers run occasional sales and may offer up their store brand of cold cut that is near the same at $10ish a lb

I myself am a creature of habit and go to the few same stores regularly for all my needs.
I think that's why I have been so noticeable of the price changes they are putting in place as I shop there on a regular basis.

In the end .... its easier to cave and pay the premium for what I want ( or hope to find it marked down to $9 a lb like it was a couple weeks ago when I splurged on some awesome roast beef.

Edited to add ... I have purchased these pre-cooked whole turkey breasts from Costco in the past and they were quite good and the price point per lb was close to $7 or so. The portion you have to buy forces you to eat turkey nearly everyday for a week to consume it all before it spoils. If I had a house full of kids I am sure it gets gobbled up in no time.

But for 1 single person 4 lbs or so of bulk turkey is alittle too much.
Buy the Costco bulk pack and freeze half or 3/4 of it for future use. That's what we do.

Also, the local supermarket has a "discounted ends" section -- random packs of bologna, beef, turkey breast, or chicken for about $2/lb. Just use it within the next few days and it's fine.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:53 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,386,537 times
deli meats/cold cuts are full of nitrates, which have been linked to dementia.
So you can save money AND improve your health at the same time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink