Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 11:23 AM

128,516 posts, read 11,878,377 times

Advertisements

Our cp is not working correctly, it will only cook on high, the low feature is not working. We use it several times a month, mostly to make pulled pork, or a pot roast type meal. We use it all year round, as in the summer, we do not use the oven at all. I also like that I can store it in the cupboard, as counter space is limited.

Should I replace it with another crock pot or something different like an instant pot? I am looking for ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 11:24 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,059,480 times
https://www.amazon.com/West-Bend-849...nd+slow+cooker

I have two of these in a different color.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/West-Bend-849...nd+slow+cooker

I have two of these in a different color.
Thank you, we don't have an electric griddle, so that would be a nice addition.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:30 AM

I will use both at the same time for beef roast and pork roast and I literally take the pot off of the base and put it directly on the gas burner on the stove and make gravy.
Great for any soup or stew and anything else you can do in a crock pot and you have 5 levels to cook with.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I will use both at the same time for beef roast and pork roast and I literally take the pot off of the base and put it directly on the gas burner on the stove and make gravy.
Great for any soup or stew and anything else you can do in a crock pot and you have 5 levels to cook with.
That sounds like a great feature, I have made gravy in a saucepan, while the meat is still on CP. Thank you.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:12 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,777,247 times
The Instant Pot is great at pressure cooking but not at all good at slow cooking. If you want a slow cooker, buy a slow cooker. I know the IP has a slow cooker setting but the IP groups on social media are full of posts about how the slow cooker feature doesn't cook right.

On the other hand, I make pulled pork in the Instant Pot in an hour (plus about half an hour for the pot to come to pressure before cooking, and for pressure to release naturally after cooking...you can do a quick release for some things but it makes meat tough). You can also cook beans in an hour without soaking them, boil eggs in 5 min that are really easy to peel, make yogurt, cheesecake, pasta, etc. You can also take out cooked meat and turn the pot on Saute while stirring in a cornstarch slurry, to thicken gravy. The IP also makes great rice.

I haven't used my slow cooker since I got a pressure cooker in February. I use my stove much less often also.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:15 PM

One more thing I should have mentioned is the convenience of the tote bag, it makes it very easy to store as well when not in use. The travel lid goes on the bottom, then the base, then the pot, then the plug goes in the pot and the lid goes upside on the pot, zip it up and it is contained and convenient.
If you decide to make the purchase I do hope you enjoy it.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:44 PM

Thank you both, I like the crock pot meals we have made & I do not need to cook beans in half an hour, I plan our meals & I like the way the dry beans cook on the stove top. The IP seems better suited to someone who needs to cook in a hurry & that is not me. I think I will try the cp with griddle that CSD mentioned.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Thank you both, I like the crock pot meals we have made & I do not need to cook beans in half an hour, I plan our meals & I like the way the dry beans cook on the stove top. The IP seems better suited to someone who needs to cook in a hurry & that is not me. I think I will try the cp with griddle that CSD mentioned.
If you don't like it let me know, I will be happy to purchase it from you, I have room for at least one more.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:49 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,336,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Should I replace it with another crock pot or something different like an instant pot? I am looking for ideas.
I got a pressure cooker (that has all those settings like the Instapot) for Christmas last year and I use it a lot, especially for dinner after work. I've never used it as a crock pot though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink