Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 08:24 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Not sure if its related to survival but I got a friend who moans when he eats ,i feel like telling him to cut out the ecstasy noises and just eat the damn food.
haha.. my former father in law did this. It didn't matter what food he was eating.. it just always happened. Survival had nothing to do with it.
My husband does it at times but only in the most recent yrs but he has a breathing illness and I do think that is related since he didn't used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 09:00 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
My parents were children in Italy during WWII. Food was scarce so everything was portioned. Even after the war, that kind of continued because neither of them came from wealthy families. They weren't destitute but they weren't having filet mignon or lobster every night.

My parents never portion controlled our food. We didn't fill our plates but she wasn't measuring a scoop either. In fact, my mom always cooked more food than needed but it never went to waste. Leftovers for however many days lol...the wine cellar is/was always stocked.

And she always served my father first then my brother. When we had guests it was always my father first unless my grandfather was there, then my dad, serving in descending age order (the men always before the women). My mother always served herself last. I'm married and serve my husband first. When I have guests, I follow what my mother did and yes, I serve myself last.
But a good part of that is social and practical. If you are serving the meal because you are the cook/hostess you aren't going to put food on your own plate and let it sit while you serve others! And I would naturally serve adults first unless there was some odd reason that the kids were clamoring. I would NOT serve specifically men/boys all before any women/girls. But I would serve "outside" guests first as that is just being hospitable.

Maybe it's easiest to just put the food on the table and pass it!

I don't think any of this means women are overall subservient to men.

Back in the day in German households men were served first. I wondered why my grandmother's and two great aunt's favorite pieces of chicken were the wing, back, and liver/heart - it was because that's all that was left after the men/boys took the "good" pieces! Now THAT'S subservience.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:05 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But a good part of that is social and practical. If you are serving the meal because you are the cook/hostess you aren't going to put food on your own plate and let it sit while you serve others! And I would naturally serve adults first unless there was some odd reason that the kids were clamoring. I would NOT serve specifically men/boys all before any women/girls. But I would serve "outside" guests first as that is just being hospitable.

Maybe it's easiest to just put the food on the table and pass it!

I don't think any of this means women are overall subservient to men.

Back in the day in German households men were served first. I wondered why my grandmother's and two great aunt's favorite pieces of chicken were the wing, back, and liver/heart - it was because that's all that was left after the men/boys took the "good" pieces! Now THAT'S subservience.
Yes, adults always first before the children, whether male or female

If there was a large # of kids, there were at least 2 or 3 people in the kitchen and one would focus on the 12 kids lol

The only time we actually served individual dishes was for the pasta course. Everything else went in bowls and platters and was served family style.

Funny you mention that about the chicken--those were my mom's favorite parts too lol...when they were kids, the men got the good parts!

My mom had a habit though of continuing to do something in the kitchen instead of sitting down to eat and I inherited that habit (not sure if it's a good or bad one). Often times, when I'm entertaining, I rarely eat because I'm focusing on feeding my guests lol

Old 10-02-2017, 03:24 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

Back in the day there was a reason for that: men were served first because they were going to work, and work hard while providing for the family. They came home tired and hungry - that's why they got served first, got the best choice and bigger meals. They were the household heads, the patriarchs, the providers and giving them special threats, bigger meals, and serving them first was a way of showing appreciation.
If they worked hard and long hours, they needed energy fuel. After they had the meal, everyone tried to be quiet so they could rest.

And boys? Boys needed to grow up strong, so they could help fathers with "manly" chores, and get a job as soon they were able to get hired.

I am pretty sure that back in the days, in the US, when only men worked and women stayed home and took care of household and kids - men got the same treatment.

Last edited by elnina; 10-02-2017 at 03:51 PM..

Old 10-02-2017, 10:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Just recently I heard a friend tell that she used to put food her kids did not eat in the fridge, and she insisted they eat it the next day. I was shocked! I did not do this with my kids. Food issues are often carried down through the generations, and I decided I did not want any of those in my family.

When I was a child, we ate family style. Food was put on the table and we passed or served ourselves. I think we kids reserved the bigger pieces of chicken for our parents, but otherwise, we spooned our food onto our plates. When my sisters were young, they had some food issues, but those passed over time.

I became a fast eater in junior high, when, because our school was so crowded, it took ages to walk through the mass of students to the cafeteria. By the time I sat down to eat I had only 10 minutes to eat. High school was similar, and I've been a fast eater ever since. When I worked I often had only 30 or 45 minutes to eat lunch. Many times I ran errands on my lunch break, and grabbed something fast on the way.

When we eat at a nice place, I consciously slow myself down, to enjoy the food. At home DH and I aren't having a conversation over our meal. We see each other every day and go almost everywhere together. So, there is no need for conversation at mealtimes. So, I think we tend to eat pretty fast.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:20 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
Boy there are some WEIRD stories here! I thought the days of male dominance over females was long gone. Apparently not.
Don't people put their food into bowls and diners take what ever amount they want? What is this "serving" stuff?? If you have guests, how do you know how much food they want? Are you their Mom? You stand over them and put food on their plate? This has got to be one of the weirdest posts I've read on here. Well, or at least the weirdest posts with so many OTHER weird posts following the first!

Old 10-05-2017, 11:47 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
You may be surprised to learn that the suspected cause of the obesity epidemic was the deliberate change in diet from high fat to low fat, and the substitution of carbohydrates.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...-you-after-all
[R]esearchers wrote in JAMA Internal Medicine, that the sugar industry paid scientists in the 1960s to downplay links between sugar and heart disease, and instead play up the emerging science about saturated fat as a more likely contributor to heart disease problems than sugar.

FAT IS HEALTHY
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...olesterol.aspx
The latest science suggests healthy fats (saturated and unsaturated fats from whole food, animal, and plant sources) should comprise anywhere from 50 to 85 percent of your overall energy intake.

Carb-Loaded, a film
https://youtu.be/lBb5TFxj1S0

High fat diets tend to depress appetite and thus are a major factor in controlling weight. In fact, high fat ketogenic dieters are enjoying great results, losing weight without hunger pangs, nor mindless bingeing.
Well, and the added tons of sugar and salt to compensate for taste. Bad move that we can't seem to get unwound.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:46 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Boy there are some WEIRD stories here! I thought the days of male dominance over females was long gone. Apparently not.
Don't people put their food into bowls and diners take what ever amount they want? What is this "serving" stuff?? If you have guests, how do you know how much food they want? Are you their Mom? You stand over them and put food on their plate? This has got to be one of the weirdest posts I've read on here. Well, or at least the weirdest posts with so many OTHER weird posts following the first!
It didn't seem weird at the time. If something like a turkey, chicken or roast beef had to be carved, dad took care of it. With something like lasagna, mom cut and served. Teenage boys got more food than I did because I was a little girl. She made sure that the people who burned a lot of calories got enough to eat. Sometimes that involved serving. It was also considered polite.

My aunt had eight kids and she always served, put food on plates. I remember staying with her for a week when I was about eight years old. She served me first with the warning that there wouldn't be seconds. "Is that enough? Yes ma'am, that's enough." She knew exactly how much to put on my plate.

Serving loved ones is a pleasure.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:53 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It didn't seem weird at the time. If something like a turkey, chicken or roast beef had to be carved, dad took care of it. With something like lasagna, mom cut and served. Teenage boys got more food than I did because I was a little girl. She made sure that the people who burned a lot of calories got enough to eat. Sometimes that involved serving. It was also considered polite.

My aunt had eight kids and she always served, put food on plates. I remember staying with her for a week when I was about eight years old. She served me first with the warning that there wouldn't be seconds. "Is that enough? Yes ma'am, that's enough." She knew exactly how much to put on my plate.

Serving loved ones is a pleasure.
I agree. Serving someone to me is like a little hug.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:52 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I agree. Serving someone to me is like a little hug.
I think it's a BIG hug. Being on either side of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink