Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
Perked 16 13.79%
Drip 37 31.90%
French Press 33 28.45%
Other (Keurig, etc) 30 25.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 03:39 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
As for the poll, I'd like a button that says 'anything but Kuerig'.

For a couple of decades I used a stainless steel French press. Coffee gets a bit chewy if you drink the last drops, but I don't mind chewy. Actually, dry roasted chocolate covered coffee beans are pretty tasty. Anyway, a French press makes tasty coffee. Haven't tried an Aeropress, though, so can't compare them. Seems like a lot of parts, though. In the morning simplicity is good.

Currently we have an automatic drip coffee maker which is okay, especially since it can be set to have coffee ready when we wake up.

We've visited folks with Keurigs and those are just useless. Plus makes a huge amount of plastic waste, especially for just one measly cup of coffee.

Great coffee starts with great beans, though. We like Su's coffee: KarmaSu Kona Coffee - Farm direct - 100% Kona Coffee. He's over on the Kona side of the island and has one of the nicest coffee farms I've seen. Not very big, though, but really nice coffee. He still has the original type of coffee bushes which produce the best tasting coffee, a lot of the Kona farmers have gone to a lesser variety that produces more but doesn't taste as good.

Otherwise we get Hamakua coffee, which I think is better than Kona, but it's probably something that would be hard to source unless you're on island.
I've tried Keurig coffee and agree. Those pods just fill up landfills and I have yet to taste coffee strong enough made by one to have a decent cup.

That Kona Coffee sounds good but Quite a steep price. I'm sure you get what you pay for though. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 04:38 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
The initial post is a poll, asking which we prefer, followed by a post
with the same, not about purchasing small appliances.
It's a fun thread and we have tangents and comments...come on....in other threads where it
is SERIOUS
I know what you mean....

Old 10-07-2017, 04:40 PM

I have a friend in Hawaii...I have never liked the Kona coffee she sends me!..and she lives and worked at the Kona Comm Hosp for 20 years....just inside fyi, for the tangent police...

Old 10-07-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I used to perk my coffee in our travel trailer in a "camping perk pot". I learned a very good lesson one day long ago:

...About an hour later, a friend came by...
I luv this story!

Old 10-07-2017, 04:59 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Add a tablespoon of instant coffee to a cup of boiling water and im good to go.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:48 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,596 times
Another vote for the Aerobie AeroPress.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:45 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
At home, I drink drip coffee and I like my coffee strong so I add more grounds than recommended.

I don't care for perked coffee because I don't like waiting for it to finish perking. I like the "sneak a cup" option of the drip coffee pot.

I'm considering getting a small 2 cup French Press for traveling. Rather than haul a drip coffee maker and filters around with me and being able to make just 1 or2 cups at a time, I'm thinking it might be handier.

For those that use a French Press, why do you love it and is the coffee smooth if you make it strong?
At home I use a Keurig because I'm the only one who drinks coffee. When I have guests, I use the drip.

At work however, I use a French press and yes, it is smoother and stronger because the coffee grounds (don't use a fine ground) are in direct contact with the boiling water so the flavor and oils are extracted much better. I can taste the difference between all 3 methods that I use. Also, French press only takes about 4 minutes, depending on the size. I use a 32 ounce and it's ready in 4 minutes (steeping time, not including time to boil water). The longer coffee takes to brew, the more bitter it tastes because the grounds have to keep extracting. With the French press, once the grounds are brewed and pressed down, they're no longer in contact with the hot water.

Last edited by bellakin123; 10-07-2017 at 07:40 PM..

Old 10-07-2017, 07:05 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Mellita cone & filter, now known as pour over. I like making just one cup at a time.

Another Keurig hater. Thankful I never wasted my money.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Add a tablespoon of instant coffee to a cup of boiling water and im good to go.
Hahaha...I've had some pretty darn good coffee like that that really hit the spot....
too much and it's not so good, tho.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:21 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
I use Folgers Black Silk with an extra generous scoop. Other coffees sold in the store taste weak. I love the strong but not bitter flavor and use a little milk and that's all, no sugar as it covers the flavor. I'm too lazy to ground beans but with something like this not even needing it, I'm good.

I also drink LOTS of coffee and kill off coffee pots sooner than normal since they hardly ever get turned off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink