Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 08:27 AM

280 posts, read 307,339 times

Advertisements

I want to finally cook a bag of chicken leg quarters that have been sitting in my freezer for quite a bit. However, the sell by date says April 22, 2016. I've had food poisoning before thanks to some under cooked pork chops I did a few years back so I don't want to go though that pain and constant vomiting again . So is this chicken good for me to cook or should I trash it?

Also if I can cook it can I just do it from frozen? I also planned to deep fry instead of stove top or baking.

Note: Last Sunday the lights went out from 5pm that day and weren't fixed until 6pm Monday morning. So the chicken was sitting there(I made sure not go open the freezer)during this blackout.

Also I have a box of Radiatore(never opened) I wanted to finally get out of my cupboard. However, the sell by date is May 20, 2015 lol. Since this is a dry good though is it safe to go on and do something with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 08:40 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
I would toss them both. If you hard up for food, go to a charitable food pantry.

I would be concerned also that the power may have been out during that long of period and maybe I didn't realize it. At best the chicken would be dry and have very little flavor, especially if just frozen in the bag it came in.

I have no idea what Radiatore even is, but something that old again isn't going to have much flavor in the best case scenario.

My opinion on those big bags of chicken quarters is that they were sitting out for a while before being bagged, sort of "extras" after the breasts were being packaged. I always thought when we used to buy them, that they were on their "last legs" when we purchased them.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy09 View Post
I want to finally cook a bag of chicken leg quarters that have been sitting in my freezer for quite a bit. However, the sell by date says April 22, 2016. I've had food poisoning before thanks to some under cooked pork chops I did a few years back so I don't want to go though that pain and constant vomiting again . So is this chicken good for me to cook or should I trash it?

Also if I can cook it can I just do it from frozen? I also planned to deep fry instead of stove top or baking.

Note: Last Sunday the lights went out from 5pm that day and weren't fixed until 6pm Monday morning. So the chicken was sitting there(I made sure not go open the freezer)during this blackout.

Also I have a box of Radiatore(never opened) I wanted to finally get out of my cupboard. However, the sell by date is May 20, 2015 lol. Since this is a dry good though is it safe to go on and do something with it?
I really do not get concerned about expiration date within reason, but chicken over a year since expiration date it is time to toss it. Even if not spoiled the texture may not be the same as prepared prior to expiration or shortly there after. I guess this is the reason I try to clean out the freezer about twice a year. I can then toss what might not be usable and make room for fresher stuff. I do, sometimes surprise myself with what is stuck in the freezer, like the friendship breads that were over a year old. We did have one, not long ago, it just tasted musty or something. We tossed it.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:02 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,316 times
"Sell by" dates are the most significant. "Best by" and "Use by" dates are more like rough quality advisories. My personal mantra here has been "When in doubt, throw it out." I don't have much lying around that would break the bank if I simply replaced it. And if the original had sat around that long, would I really need to?

Old 10-07-2017, 09:03 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
If the chicken was in deep freeze the whole time, I'd say nothing wrong and go ahead. However, that power outage indicates that you'd be better off tossing them.

The pasta will be just fine even years after expiration - taste and texture may not be ideal but you won't get food poisoning from it.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:11 AM

280 posts, read 307,339 times
Hard up? Food pantry? Ahh, Lol no. I was just finally doing a thorough cleaning of my fridge. I didn't want to throw perfectly good chicken away if it's a chance it's still eatable that's all lol. I'm unfortunately one of those people that buy in bulk so I don't have to go back to the store for a while, and unfortunately food sets there and spoils because I never get to it.

Also Radiatore is a pasta.

Thanks with the replies so far everyone. Yea, it being in a deep freeze this whole time made me want to go on ahead and toss it in the fryer,but that power outage last week has definitely given me pause on that.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:02 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
If the chicken was good when you put it into the freezer, it should still be good. If not packaged air tight, it might have freezer burn but it won't be a block of bacteria.

If the freezer was not opened for 2 days with power out, food should still be OK. Did you open the freezer after the power went back on to see if food was still frozen? Of course, if food was thawed it should have been thrown out at that time.

Dry pasta should be OK unless it has developed a case of weevils.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:10 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If the chicken was good when you put it into the freezer, it should still be good. If not packaged air tight, it might have freezer burn but it won't be a block of bacteria.

If the freezer was not opened for 2 days with power out, food should still be OK. Did you open the freezer after the power went back on to see if food was still frozen? Of course, if food was thawed it should have been thrown out at that time.

Dry pasta should be OK unless it has developed a case of weevils.
I roll with this

Unlikely the chicken thawed at all during a 2 day power outage with the freezer staying shut.
You would notice if it did, as the chicken would now be REFROZEN into a giant blob of chicken vs how it was previously and originally packed and frozen.

Myself I would still eat the chicken - just be sure to cook to a temp of 165-170 to make sure any bad guys are destroyed ( bacteria or salmonella )

As for dry pasta - well yea its still OK to eat I would think.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:51 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,428,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy09 View Post

Toss both and since you were out more than 12 hours anything else in the freezer and fridge should be tossed. Basically anything frozen more than 6 months should be thrown away. The pasta probaby won't kill you but it may not taste very good. Pasta is cheap, toss it.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:55 AM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I roll with this

Unlikely the chicken thawed at all during a 2 day power outage with the freezer staying shut.
You would notice if it did, as the chicken would now be REFROZEN into a giant blob of chicken vs how it was previously and originally packed and frozen.

Myself I would still eat the chicken - just be sure to cook to a temp of 165-170 to make sure any bad guys are destroyed ( bacteria or salmonella )

As for dry pasta - well yea its still OK to eat I would think.
I agree.

I would cook it & see how it tastes. Then eat with gusto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink