Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 07:28 AM

48,271 posts, read 34,391,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
We are living in Central Mexico and travel by car extensively around the country. We continue to be amazed at roadside and street-side food stands and how often people in their cars, stop for a snack. In our village on the main road into town, food stands are set up every 10 yards or so. At night, many residents in the village, including on our street, set up food stands at around 8PM, on the sidewalk outside their homes.

Driving in Mexico, you get used to cars in front of you swerving over to a food stand at the last minute. Now we find ourselves doing the same thing when a handwritten menu sign catches our eye.

Some are healthy: fresh squeezed juices, fresh peeled and sliced fruits, horchata (almond/rice milk. But most are sold for their taste not their nutritional values. Chicharrones (fried pork rinds) are the most prevalent...huge bubbling cauldrons of them; their smell is intoxicating. Tacos we learned are for breakfast! Tacos include a Middle Eastern variety, taco Arabe, our current favorite.

Street food is scary to some visitors, it was to us at first. But after eating it for a few years without any repercussions, it has opened up our minds and taste buds.

When we went to Mexico, we ate at a stand where all the construction workers were eating. I don't even know what I ordered, but it was pretty good.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 09:19 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,491,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Here people want to eat the same thing out that they get at home. We're also surrounded by water but it's 40 miles to a fish restaurant worth eating in and the price is usually pretty bad. Fish market? As if. Roast beef is well done and "family" restaurants abound. The tide is turning somewhat, but like I said it's starting at the high end in areas with a lot of transfers from elsewhere. Spaghetti and meatballs is considered a foreign meal. It makes me sad.
It's just food! A temporary thing (each dish). You can make anything at home that you want. A perk is that it'll cost less than getting it at a restaurant, and you'll know exactly what's in it. Of course, the foods I like are simple ones, so I could make most of them, even tho I'm not much of a cook.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:27 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,296,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post

How about where you live?
I live in Georgia and we eat what we want, when we want, and all we talk about is how good it is and can I have the recipe?!

Old 10-12-2017, 04:36 PM

66 posts, read 68,503 times
It's all Kale .. Kale everywhere. Soy and Kale. It's awful

Old 10-12-2017, 11:32 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,735,657 times
Don't try to eat healthy in front of native Texans. The judgmental glares aimed at your plate can set your food on fire.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:50 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,529,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I grew up in Montana and lived in Wyoming for several years. People in those states could beso bizarre (and extremely annoying). It seemed like eating was so shameful to do. At potlucks people would circle the table like vultures and seemed so reluctant to just get their food and eat. Then when they got it they would go,on and on about the nutritional content and provide a running commentary on it. Sports announcers put less effort into calling games than I've seen there. It also seemed like everyone was on some sort of diet.

In North Dakota, where I live now, and in Iowa where I have family, the attitude seems to be eat what you want and in a social setting just choose your food, sit down and eat. Take all you want, eat what you take, but don't be a pig. Of course basic etiquette applies there.

How about where you live?

That presents a different image of the high-country folk, than I would have imagined. I wouldn't have thought they were so cerebral about the content of their food. I'm that way about it myself, but no one else around here seems to give it much thought. There is no food type or style that is native here and over my life, food from all parts of the world has entered our selection of restaurants. All-you-can-eat buffets are a big thing, but they cost about $10. nowadays, rather than 99 cents, as I remember from long ago. All-you-can-eat buffalo wings night is popular at many of the less-fancy restaurants.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:18 PM

10,230 posts, read 13,737,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Don't try to eat healthy in front of native Texans. The judgmental glares aimed at your plate can set your food on fire.
I'd like to see them in Montana and Wyoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
That presents a different image of the high-country folk, than I would have imagined. I wouldn't have thought they were so cerebral about the content of their food. I'm that way about it myself, but no one else around here seems to give it much thought. There is no food type or style that is native here and over my life, food from all parts of the world has entered our selection of restaurants. All-you-can-eat buffets are a big thing, but they cost about $10. nowadays, rather than 99 cents, as I remember from long ago. All-you-can-eat buffalo wings night is popular at many of the less-fancy restaurants.
It's surprising how obsessive people are with food in those two states. Definitely doesn't fit the image you (and probably many others) have.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:33 PM
NCN

21,657 posts, read 25,493,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
In my parts of TN, NC, and FL. We like it, eat it and only dissect it if we want the recipe. Food is good and you can take all you want and I never hear anyone talking about the nutritional content.

My family in NY pay stupid prices for food and the restaurants that they like I find lacking, too expensive and with lines too long. I think they get hung up on what's "in" rather than thinking for themselves. I am just not impressed as I can make the food better myself...well except for the pizza. I stink at pizza crust like NY.
You are the Lisa who lives just inside Tennessee, aren't you? I can help you out with the pizza crust. I have discovered that round soft tacos work great as pizza crust. Only thing you have to remember is to lightly spread oil (about 1/2 t. canola oil is what I use) on the bottom before putting them on the cookie sheet. Then load up the top with whatever you want on your pizza and bake in the oven about 15 minutes at a high temperature. I turn the oven on 450 degrees before starting the toppings and the oven is usually preheated by the time I add the ingredients.

I agree food is to be enjoyed.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:55 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,300,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
Live in North NJ and work in the city.

Definitely a foodie area.

most people I work with will chose quality over quantity and price. I have co-workers who will walk a few extra blocks for some special muffin. (I would too, but for coffee). Also, very picky about things that are very new York like bagels and pizza.(I am too. I actually think we get better bagels and pizza in New jersey).

People are very conscious about ingredients, sustainability, recycling etc (use their own bowls at the salad place).

There's kale, quinoa, tofu, gluten free, dairy free options everywhere.
You could say similar things about Chicago. It definitely is a VERY foodie city, for sure. And that we are very picky about Chicago food specialties like italian beef sandwiches, hot dogs, pizza(including deep dish), and more. I wish there were more bagel places around in the Chicago area, but not the end of the world. Also, I'd agree many restaurant owners do emphasize local ingredients, sustainability, recycling, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post
It's all Kale .. Kale everywhere. Soy and Kale. It's awful
Eh, I'd actually say there are a lot of people who aren't into health food fads in Chicago, such as kale and other things like that. I'm okay if you like to eat kale, vegetarian, vegan, etc., but please don't shove those preferences on me. As long as you aren't being obnoxious to me about those food preferences you may have(i.e. vegan), you'll be fine with me. Yes a lot of those people exist, but I'd say they're actually not the majority of people. And I have tried food items that were vegetarian, vegan, etc. before, out of curiosity.

I'd say the vibe of restaurants being like that in Chicago is less like that, the more you go out into the suburbs. Where eventually you do find some that just cater to those who want to eat cheap, and not necessarily being high brow. Though I have to say that sometimes I have been surprised how really good, certain suburban restaurants have been that I've eaten at in the past. I think the situation of restaurants out there is better, than it used to be.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:34 AM

34,814 posts, read 30,867,528 times
Food is taken pretty seriously here. There are many traditional Southern restaurants and the nearby college town of ~60,000 has gotten a surprisingly diverse mix of ethnic foods over the past few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink