Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 03:29 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Refrigeration isn't anything like preserving. No, actually their true preserving will last much longer. Like, all winter.

Modern refrigeration may be easier and more satisfying to modern man but ancient preservation was much more effective, IF, much more difficult. Even though they all had parasites in their gut as they got more "sophisticated" LOL.

Long-Term Food Preservation Secrets Of The Native Americans | Off The Grid News

Have you ever lived in Florida? My food here NEVER lasts as long as up North. I assume because it's in transit for so long and held up by the market chain before it ever even gets shipped here.
hi there my cousin lives in florida and she is a food night mare I kid you not she keeps meat in her freezer for over a year . I know that once she took home some Christmas turkey and I marked it for her and when I looked in her freezer 8 months later it was still in there and she said she was going to eat it . Yep I never eat her food either . I never ate at my aunts house either because she always kept food too long for being safe . I fear one day someone is going to call me and tell me that my cousin died from tomaine poisoning , I kid you not .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 04:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Refrigeration isn't anything like preserving. No, actually their true preserving will last much longer. Like, all winter.

Modern refrigeration may be easier and more satisfying to modern man but ancient preservation was much more effective, IF, much more difficult. Even though they all had parasites in their gut as they got more "sophisticated" LOL.

Long-Term Food Preservation Secrets Of The Native Americans | Off The Grid News
Very true. But on the spectrum of food preservation, most things can last longer than 3 days in a good, cold refrigerator. We need to be more mindful of food waste.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:19 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Bad choices have consequences:
https://www.mybwmc.org/avoiding-bad-...food-poisoning

Old 10-12-2017, 04:31 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,684 times
I always think of people in the world that don't have food in abundance. As a consequence, I waste very little and try to use every part of whatever it is that I grow or purchase. If something goes bad or is a little off, I am not pleased with myself.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:43 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,428 times
2 days is my max, even if it looks and smells ok.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:50 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
2 days.
That's about it for me. It may still be good for several more days, but it would taste off to me. It might be my imagination, but if I think it tastes off, I'm not about to eat it.

I'll admit when I was younger, like in my 20s and 30s, I would eat refrigerated food up to a week or a bit longer. Just can't do that anymore.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:54 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It wad old dead meat the day the animal was killed. Then it was old dead meat while being transported to the store. On and on.

Are you a vegan trying to make meat sound unappetizing and scary? Ha ha.
No. I am not a vegan (but I don't know what milk, eggs or cheese has to do with this discussion).

If you REALLY think about what you are eating, how does it sound appealing?

Or do you just not think about it?

Old 10-12-2017, 05:55 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I always think of people in the world that don't have food in abundance. As a consequence, I waste very little and try to use every part of whatever it is that I grow or purchase. If something goes bad or is a little off, I am not pleased with myself.
I am quite frugal and look at 'food waste' in a similar fashion.
I take pride in wasting as little food as possible.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:58 PM

63 posts, read 42,030 times
I usually freeze any leftover meat. On the occasion I leave some refrigerated instead, I use within a max of 3 days.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:08 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Two!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink