Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 05:07 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,563,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
No one seems to buy the grass fed lamb chops and roasts at my store, yay...
so I buy tons at 30% off. Love 'em, too!
People say to try a mint jam with them...never was drawn to.
I don't get to buy organic or grass fed as often as I would like, because we are on a tight budget, but I haven't seen grass-fed lamb around here at all. I used to get it direct from the farm in my home town. They would butcher a whole lamb for me, to order. A nice bonus was bones and offal for my dogs, who were raw-fed at the time. (I had an even bigger freezer back then.)

I don't like mint jelly with lamb - it's too sweet. I do sometimes use mint as an herb to cook with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 07:51 AM

11,985 posts, read 8,320,397 times
We don't eat as much pork as we used to other than ribs and kraut or ribs from the smoker. Sometimes I mix ground pork one part to two for meat loaf or meat balls.

DH grew up on an old-fashioned hog farm and nothing we buy can hold a candle to the taste of those pigs. They lived in hawg heaven raising their families in little A-frames out in a large, grassy pen. I am much more comfortable eating an animal which I know has been able to live a resemblance of a "normal" life. Happy pigs taste better?

They also had a generous amount of fat on the cuts to give them flavor. You could cut off as much fat as you didn't care to eat but it made a big difference in how they browned and how they tasted.

I've even noticed that some factory-raised hogs have an unpleasant yellow tinge to the meat. Think - they grow breathing in waste all their wretched lives. It's so toxic that if the caretaker falls in he's likely to die. Ugh.

I hear some, "Everything is better in memory," but a lot of people have never tasted a good, healthy free-range hog.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:09 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,443,557 times
Bacon tastes a lot better! I prefer the least healthy cuts of pork myself. Ham, bacon, and sausage. Plain pork roast is juicy but just has a flavor I don’t like. I’m more of a beef gal.

The only pork roast I make is the tenderloin. It’s a great small roast, much tastier than the loin, and can be made in my toaster oven. I usually do a honey-ginger marinade and glaze and serve with white rice and broccoli.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:28 AM

32,565 posts, read 47,729,085 times
I can't even begin to guess why you don't buy pork chops, OP. Maybe it has something to do with the very short storage period for raw pork. You buy pork when you intend to cook it that night.

But what you say about the ease of cooking makes pork chops attractive. I buy a whole boneless pork loin, take it home and slice it up. Then it is immediately packaged air tight and placed into the deep freeze.

Around comes a night when I am tired or short of time and I get a package of pork chops out of the freezer and plop them into a frying pan or onto the grill. I don't thaw them. Straight from the freezer into the pan. They can be dressed up with a few spices and an onion for a very good, small effort meal.

Pork chops and hamburger patties are my quick and easy meals. We generally grind a whole beef shoulder and form into patties for freezing. But if I buy beef already ground, it gets weighed, make into patties, and individually frozen. Take a couple patties out of the freezer and straight into the frying pan.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:32 AM

32,565 posts, read 47,729,085 times
Veering a bit off of OP's topic, I don't do the whole loin into pork chops. I'll cut a small roast that will eventually end up marinated and roasted or grilled. I also do a couple of packages into small pieces and that is packaged and frozen, labeled "pork for stir fry"

Old 10-14-2017, 08:42 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,066,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Yup, me too! For every few months I spend on the internet I learn a new word. I'm not sure that justifies all my time though.
Sorry to have launched a mini scavenger hunt with the word "fond". It's just a term for all the yummy brown bits of flavor that you work to scrape off the bottom of the pan after adding a deglazing liquid. Fond is key to the depth of flavor in many a sauce and gravy, including the one described earlier for baked pork chops.

French-based Term for Today: Mirepoix

Old 10-14-2017, 09:10 AM

11,985 posts, read 8,320,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Sorry to have launched a mini scavenger hunt with the word "fond". It's just a term for all the yummy brown bits of flavor that you work to scrape off the bottom of the pan after adding a deglazing liquid. Fond is key to the depth of flavor in many a sauce and gravy, including the one described earlier for baked pork chops.

French-based Term for Today: Mirepoix
Mirepoix I know and fond I am very fond of using. But I never knew that there was an actual term for the scrapings from the bottom of the pan.

Cool. Learned something new today.

Hint - In my opinion you need a cast iron pan in order to produce the best fond. A tad bit of butter with whatever kind of fat you use doesn't hurt either.

One more thing. My mother taught me to scrape the roaster when roasting a fowl to make the best gravy but she was strict about running it through a sieve before serving.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:45 AM

2,649 posts, read 1,838,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I can't even begin to guess why you don't buy pork chops, OP. Maybe it has something to do with the very short storage period for raw pork. You buy pork when you intend to cook it that night.

But what you say about the ease of cooking makes pork chops attractive. I buy a whole boneless pork loin, take it home and slice it up. Then it is immediately packaged air tight and placed into the deep freeze.

Around comes a night when I am tired or short of time and I get a package of pork chops out of the freezer and plop them into a frying pan or onto the grill. I don't thaw them. Straight from the freezer into the pan. They can be dressed up with a few spices and an onion for a very good, small effort meal.

Pork chops and hamburger patties are my quick and easy meals. We generally grind a whole beef shoulder and form into patties for freezing. But if I buy beef already ground, it gets weighed, make into patties, and individually frozen. Take a couple patties out of the freezer and straight into the frying pan.
Just the other day, wanted to do yard work. Love to put something in the oven or crock pot; so dinner is ready after working on a project.

Had some pork chops, (medium thick) frozen. Put them in a glass oven pan, little water and then sprinkled soy sauce and pepper, garlic powder and covered pan with aluminum foil. Turned once or twice; added water or soy sauce as needed.

Best pork chops we ever had. Yummy. Melted in your mouth. Could not believe I did that.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:35 AM

983 posts, read 1,175,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I think its just the fact that I get most of my protein from bacon - fish - chicken and the occasional steak I have.

Its not that I don't WANT TO eat pork ... its just that I do not feel the need to. I love breakfast sausage and if I have it in my fridge I will go Defcon-3 crazy having it for breakfast / lunch dinner as I like it that much. bacon I look forward to having for breakfast a few times a week as I love the taste texture and smell of it frying in the pan.

Pork loins would be a snap to fry up for dinner quickly or maybe toss a small loin roast in the oven. I do have cooking skills. I just don't see myself making the switch to eating pork chops and the like after all these years of shying away from it

Old 10-14-2017, 11:05 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,446,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I don't get to buy organic or grass fed as often as I would like, because we are on a tight budget, but I haven't seen grass-fed lamb around here at all. I used to get it direct from the farm in my home town. They would butcher a whole lamb for me, to order. A nice bonus was bones and offal for my dogs, who were raw-fed at the time. (I had an even bigger freezer back then.)

I don't like mint jelly with lamb - it's too sweet. I do sometimes use mint as an herb to cook with.
I don't like jellies much but I do like mint sauce on lamb. Cross and Blackwell makes a good one -- It's a nice balance of tart and sweet but not so sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink