U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 12:34 PM

13,282 posts, read 7,065,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Don't use much vanilla anymore, but when they were school-aged, my kids went through chocolate-chip pancakes for breakfast at quite a rate. A good bit of vanilla extract went into a batch of those, along with a smaller dose of almond extract. Those are the only two that are sort of staples. All the other extract bottles came to live here as part of one-time recipe needs. I would just pitch them all, but I know full well that the day after I do, I will decide to make a recipe that calls for one of them. Better safe than sorry.
This always happens to me, too! Then I have to blow another $5 on that "one time" need.

I wonder, with that much alcohol in them, are they pretty much safe forever? Maybe there's no worry keeping them for years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 12:48 PM

1,387 posts, read 597,057 times
My understanding is that pure natural extracts do not go bad and can be kept and used virtually forever, but that artificial extracts do go off after a few years and should probably be discarded. Maybe google knows better?

Old 10-14-2017, 12:56 PM

18,757 posts, read 12,400,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Penzeys. I don't use it frequently enough that is a really regular purchase, and don't mind spending a bit more.
Yep! I believe it comes in two strengths. The stronger will be pricier.

Check the ingredient list on Mexican vanilla. I was given Central American vanilla, and the first ingredient was propylene glycol. Yuck!

If you buy Penzeys vanilla you will know you are getting a fine product. And it isn't as if you are going to use the product up within even a month.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:18 PM

5,065 posts, read 3,753,046 times
I use vanilla in my daily banana smoothies and always toss a dash in my drip coffee basket. So I use it daily.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:36 PM

8,813 posts, read 8,146,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I use vanilla in my daily banana smoothies and always toss a dash in my drip coffee basket. So I use it daily.
I use it almost daily, when I make oatmeal. I also use Penzey's cinnamon.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:56 PM

5,968 posts, read 5,761,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Your post inspired me to see if there's a recipe for making vanilla extract using vanilla beans. And there is!!

I'm going to try it:

Ingredients:
8 oz. Glass Bottle or Jar.
7 Vanilla Beans.
1 cup Vodka 70 Proof/35% Alcohol (or you can also use Bourbon, Rum or Brandy; any brand/quality)

I make my own vanilla extract and I use vodka. Here is a tip for you if you're going to make your own extract and this will allow you to extract 100% of the full strength vanilla flavour into the alcohol.

It is the tiny seeds inside the vanilla bean pods that actually contain the vanilla flavour, it is not the pods, and the seeds can only impart about 50% of their flavour through the bean pod when they are tightly enclosed inside it. To make proper full strength extract you need to split the vanilla bean pods open so that the tiny seeds inside the pods are fully exposed to the alcohol, or better yet, scrape them out of the pods so they will float freely in the liquid, along with the split bean pods. The dried pods are easier to cut and split open and scrape the seeds if you let the pods soak overnight first in the alcohol to re-hydrate and soften.

Depending on how much strength of vanilla flavour you want, it takes 2 to 6 weeks to extract all the flavour (6 weeks is best) so you will need to taste it once a week to determine how it's coming along. While it is extracting you need to be sure to give the liquid a stir or a good shake twice a week.

When the flavour has been extracted to your satisfaction you can strain the liquid off through a fine mesh strainer or through a coffee filter so there are no seeds and pods left in the liquid, or you can safely let the pods and seeds remain in the liquid.

If you leave them in the alcohol they will not go bad since they are preserved in the alcohol and it won't hurt or alter the extract to leave them there but the extract may get stronger and stronger in flavour as it ages. If you do strain the seeds and pods out you can let them dry out and then still use them for other purposes since the vanilla seeds and pods never completely lose all of their flavour and scent.

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-14-2017 at 03:05 PM..

Old 10-14-2017, 03:34 PM

2,967 posts, read 6,587,408 times
I usually buy Nielsen-Massey vanilla extract or paste at Marshalls or Home Goods for less than half the retail price. Never had a problem with quality and it keeps for years.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:16 PM

2,640 posts, read 943,009 times
If you have a Latin grocery near you, I've often found Badia brand to be reasonable in price. It's somewhere between regular and Mexican in taste, but be careful because they have both pure and imitation versions, so read the label.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:57 PM

1,269 posts, read 466,193 times
Pure vanilla extract has really gone up in price in the last year. I like Trader Joes Madagascar vanilla, it lasts several months.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:59 PM

18,717 posts, read 4,691,893 times
I buy pure vanilla extract, even add some to my coffee......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink