U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 11:04 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
OP, if you try Penzey's, be sure to register and sign up for their catalog. They are very generous with sending coupons for free products. I have been shopping Penzey's for years and they treat their customers vey well.

And when you sign up, you will get a good number of POLITICAL e-mails from Bill Penzey, all unsolicited, I might add.

Last edited by jlawrence01; 10-15-2017 at 11:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 12:27 PM

2,280 posts, read 1,036,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I make my own vanilla extract and I use vodka. Here is a tip for you if you're going to make your own extract and this will allow you to extract 100% of the full strength vanilla flavour into the alcohol.

It is the tiny seeds inside the vanilla bean pods that actually contain the vanilla flavour, it is not the pods, and the seeds can only impart about 50% of their flavour through the bean pod when they are tightly enclosed inside it. To make proper full strength extract you need to split the vanilla bean pods open so that the tiny seeds inside the pods are fully exposed to the alcohol, or better yet, scrape them out of the pods so they will float freely in the liquid, along with the split bean pods. The dried pods are easier to cut and split open and scrape the seeds if you let the pods soak overnight first in the alcohol to re-hydrate and soften.

Depending on how much strength of vanilla flavour you want, it takes 2 to 6 weeks to extract all the flavour (6 weeks is best) so you will need to taste it once a week to determine how it's coming along. While it is extracting you need to be sure to give the liquid a stir or a good shake twice a week.

When the flavour has been extracted to your satisfaction you can strain the liquid off through a fine mesh strainer or through a coffee filter so there are no seeds and pods left in the liquid, or you can safely let the pods and seeds remain in the liquid.

If you leave them in the alcohol they will not go bad since they are preserved in the alcohol and it won't hurt or alter the extract to leave them there but the extract may get stronger and stronger in flavour as it ages. If you do strain the seeds and pods out you can let them dry out and then still use them for other purposes since the vanilla seeds and pods never completely lose all of their flavour and scent.

this is what I do. I actually make a big batch at Christmas and give it away as gifts to my friends.

Now with the flavored vodka's I've made some very good tasting vanilla. super easy.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:31 PM

281 posts, read 402,088 times
Quote:
OP, if you try Penzey's, be sure to register and sign up for their catalog. They are very generous with sending coupons for free products. I have been shopping Penzey's for years and they treat their customers vey well.
Penzey's is great. I am lucky and have a Penzey's store in my metro. Spend way too much money there!!!lol

Old 10-16-2017, 06:44 PM

13,010 posts, read 12,440,016 times
I get the paste. It's awesome and not very "alcohol" tasting.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:56 PM

909 posts, read 814,417 times
DO NOT buy vanilla extract at ALDI! The prices are so high these days and I thought I'd save a few bucks. I always used vanilla extract from Trader Joes and thought ALDI would be maybe not as good but decent.

Not sure what they put in it (I checked to make sure I didn't get the artificial stuff by accident) but it does not even smell like vanilla. Not even close to TJ version.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:05 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Just for the record, Penzeys (love them) has ceased putting out a regular catalog. Per the owner, they do about one a year, currently. They have switched to an online mailing list, primarily, and do publicize deals through that, as well as via their facebook feed. They don't really do paper coupons anymore, but electronic ones via e-mail and social media. I think they actually have more frequent deals through that than they did via the old catalogs.

I do miss the catalogs, though, because they were like magazines, with human interest articles and reader recipes. But I get going primarily online. At any rate, I have a brick and mortar store nearby, so I am not dependent on ordering via the mailing list. Showing a coupon on my phone when I shop the store is sufficient.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:12 AM

15,572 posts, read 8,742,257 times
I use a lot of vanilla extract and infuse my own with either rum or vodka and grade B Mexican vanilla beans.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:20 AM

11 posts, read 2,920 times
but I can not use the vanilla extract, I will not try and ruin the dish, it starts to taste bitter, I can do something wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink