Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:41 AM

638 posts, read 527,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
well seasoned cast iron doesn't normally stick unless someone is cooking improperly.

Typically, heating up the pan until it's hot and not putting anything in it until the oil has heat up until smoking/nearly smoking and there should be minimal sticking.

non stick is usually a crutch for the inexperienced cooks.
Far be it from me to accuse anyone of using a crutch but cast iron is the answer. You can’t beat it and it will add iron to your diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 07:46 AM

5,859 posts, read 11,882,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m in agreement. Buy a Teflon pan for under $40. Use it for a few years, then pitch it and buy another.
This is pretty much how I've been operating over the last several years. Some pans only make it 6 months and others have lasted a year or more. I usually buy them at places like Ross, Marshall's or Tuesday Morning and rarely pay more than $20 (usually less). I once bought an expensive Calphalon non-stick pan for $50 and it didn't last as long as the cheap ones, so I don't bother spending my money on those anymore.

Funny enough, I bought a cheap T-Fal pan at the grocery store last year when I was on temporary assignment in another city and the apartment didn't have a decent pan to cook eggs. That $10 T-Fal pan is still going strong!

I also just purchased my first Copper Chef pan - well it came with the induction plate I bought- and so far I love it. I can't speak for its longevity yet.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:16 AM

983 posts, read 1,175,762 times
added FYI

If you are lucky enough to have a Costco business center store near you... they sell items specifically geared towards business: namely cooks restaurant owners etc

So yes they have a fantastic section of pots pans utensils accessories all commercial kitchen grade and typical Costco quality. Biggest benefit you can buy single pots pans skillets etc. no need to buy a full set. you want a brand new 12" non stick skillet ? Buy just one.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:47 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,066,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
Far be it from me to accuse anyone of using a crutch but cast iron is the answer. You can’t beat it and it will add iron to your diet.
Cast iron is great if you'll be running the chuck-wagon on a cattle-drive. A more modern and well-rounded chef would be apt to prefer some nice upscale All-Clad cookware in his own kitchen. Perhaps not at work due to the wear-and-tear and potential theft factors. .

Last edited by 17thAndK; 10-17-2017 at 10:57 AM..

Old 10-17-2017, 10:52 AM

16,226 posts, read 27,352,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
added FYI

If you are lucky enough to have a Costco business center store near you... they sell items specifically geared towards business: namely cooks restaurant owners etc

So yes they have a fantastic section of pots pans utensils accessories all commercial kitchen grade and typical Costco quality. Biggest benefit you can buy single pots pans skillets etc. no need to buy a full set. you want a brand new 12" non stick skillet ? Buy just one.
Thanks for mentioning this - I do have one of these stores close by and I rarely go there. I've been meaning to visit anyways since the regular Costco I shop at no longer carries mascarpone. Now I'm going to check out the frying pans too!

Old 10-17-2017, 12:20 PM

638 posts, read 527,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Cast iron is great if you'll be running the chuck-wagon on a cattle-drive. A more modern and well-rounded chef would be apt to prefer some nice upscale All-Clad cookware in his own kitchen. Perhaps not at work due to the wear-and-tear and potential theft factors. .
Yes, I do have a chuck wagon on a cattle drive. Doesn't everybody?

Seriously though, is OP asking about equipment for professional entertaining, or for a personal kitchen? I though this was a thread on cookware for the home kitchen, not for a professional kitchen.

We feed six people every night. Cast iron works very well. Though I did see in later posts that OP has a glass stovetop and cast iron is not appropriate for that.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:42 PM

11,046 posts, read 9,684,120 times
Has anyone had those Copper Chef pans for more than a year and used them regularly? I would like to hear how long their non-stick attributes last. I am of the opinion that all non-stick pans are great for a year or so and then just stop being non-stick. Even my All-Clad Teflon skillet sticks now, and I never put pans in the dishwasher or scrub with anything harsher than a sponge with a green scrubby on the other side.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:54 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,075,520 times
I've been using a wok from an Asian store. It has a stoneware finish. It's truly non-stick and has been going good now for about 2 years. They are inexpensive enough to replace after 2-3 years, if necessary.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:03 PM

23,841 posts, read 14,963,353 times
I have a ScanPan skillet that is used twice a day on an induction cooktop. You know that feature on induction that heats in a second? I have put a tiny amount of oil in the pan, burner on kill, then forgot it until the smoke alarm went off. The pan is great. Nothing sticks. If it does, a few minutes in the sink and it is as good as new. I put it in the dishwasher. Been mistreating this pan for years. I use any tool that jumps into my hand when I open the drawer. Metal, plastic or wood. It depends on what is being cooked.

Check out scan pan at Sur Le Table.

I have a lifetime collection Le Creuset It is also pretty much not stick, but it is getting a little too heavy for hauling in and out. Nothing cooks better, though.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:23 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,970,145 times
Haven't tried Copper Chef yet but eventually I will.

I generally use SS but I totally get why you want non-stick for things like eggs. My experience says none of them last forever. The brand that has lasted the longest for me is Swiss Diamond. And for health reasons, once they start getting scratched up and ratty they need to be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House