U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:01 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,173,371 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember these and know if they are still made? They came frozen and there were 3 sheets-1 bacon, 1 cheese and 1 onion. They were flat and you baked them in the oven and they raised and "puffed up". I used to eat them as a child and young adult in NJ. The last time I saw them was maybe 10 years ago. I have searched many stores in NJ, NH and Fl among others and have had no success in finding them. I have searched the web too. I cannot remember the manufacturer.

Thank you,

Nicolem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 03:36 PM

4,721 posts, read 13,616,006 times
i had something very similar for Christmas day appetizers. I bought them at "COSTCO".

Old 03-17-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
i had something very similar for Christmas day appetizers. I bought them at "COSTCO".
Thank you. I do not have a COSTCO near me but will be able to visit one in April when I am in NJ.

Thanks,

Nicolem

Old 06-05-2008, 07:38 PM

9,209 posts, read 18,055,111 times
I just found this site, and I realize this is a 3-month old thread, so I apologize ahead of time.

But I've been on a misison to find these cheese puffs, and I think they are the same ones nicolem is talking about!

Did you ever find them at a Costco? I am not a member, but I may consider joining if they carry these snacks! I live in PA but go to NJ a lot.

I used to eat these all the time when I was a teen living at home. We always had them in the freezer and I would break off 4 cheese, 4 onion, and 4 bacon, and cook them in the toaster oven. Back in college in the early 90's I found them again. But I haven't seen them in years, and no one I know seems to know what I am talking about.

Were they made by "McCain" or am I totally on drugs? I checked the McCain website, but no luck.

I would love to find these.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I just found this site, and I realize this is a 3-month old thread, so I apologize ahead of time.

But I've been on a misison to find these cheese puffs, and I think they are the same ones nicolem is talking about!

Did you ever find them at a Costco? I am not a member, but I may consider joining if they carry these snacks! I live in PA but go to NJ a lot.

I used to eat these all the time when I was a teen living at home. We always had them in the freezer and I would break off 4 cheese, 4 onion, and 4 bacon, and cook them in the toaster oven. Back in college in the early 90's I found them again. But I haven't seen them in years, and no one I know seems to know what I am talking about.

Were they made by "McCain" or am I totally on drugs? I checked the McCain website, but no luck.

I would love to find these.
Hi TracySam,

Thanks for your reply. No I never found them at Costco. I believe they may have been made by McCain but not totally sure. I have been on a search for these for a while. If I happen to be in another state traveling-I have even checked out supermarkets when I go to see if I can find them but no luck. I have posted about them on "foodie" type sites but no luck yet either.

I last had them in the mid 1990's in NJ-have not seen them since. I am still on my quest to find them. I will be in NJ in August and will visit Costco again as sometimes those club places vary in what they carry at different times. If I find them, I will send you a dm.

The weird thing is I have not found any confirmation that they are discontinued either. On the foodie sites I search, a lot of times when people are looking for a favorite food-you can find confirmation that it is either made or has been discontinued. I have found neither.

Nicolem

Old 06-06-2008, 08:38 AM

34,571 posts, read 42,741,316 times
You can make something similar. Without the shrimp, it's the foundation for any flavor puffs you want. You flash freeze these, then stick them under the boiler for 5 minutes to serve...five minute appetizers.
Shrimp Puffs

6 english muffins split
1 jar Old English cheese spread
1 stick butter, softened
1 1/2 T mayo
seasoned salt
1 can shrimp, drained

Mix together all ingredients with a mixer. Spread on 12 muffin rounds. Cut each muffin half into 3 uniform wedges. Place wedges on sheet and flash freeze. When they are frozen, pop them into a baggie or plastic container and take them out and broil them as needed.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:06 AM

13,050 posts, read 21,168,230 times
I am guessing the base for these puffs was flaky puff pastry? If so, then this website should be able to provide a lot of good ideas and recipes to make these at home (hint: the dough is very easy to work with and bakes quickly).

Puff Pastry - Home

If the dough of these puffs in question is more like a shortbread/pie crust sort of dough, then I believe Trader Joe's has something like that in their frozen section.

I have 1 roll of puff pastry left at home and now I'm inspired to make some savory treat this weekend - or perhaps some of these:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_utQ-bLRo9u8/...s400/oreja.jpg

Old 06-06-2008, 10:14 AM

28,227 posts, read 19,215,840 times
Nicolem-if you're going to NJ try Shop Rite-I'm sure I've seen them there.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Nicolem-if you're going to NJ try Shop Rite-I'm sure I've seen them there.
Really? That is funny because that is where I used to buy them when I lived in NJ. I have checked Shop Rite in the past but not too recently. I will check when I am in NJ again.

Thanks,

Nicolem

Old 06-06-2008, 10:55 AM

gentlearts and DontH8Me-

Thank you both for the recipe suggestions! I appreciate it.

Thanks,

Nicolem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink