Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 09:07 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,180,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Um. Hi. My name is Dawn. [Hi, Dawn!] And I'm addicted to cookies.

I already said my piece up-thread. The t-shirt. The CRISP chocolate chip cookies. The Melting Moments (shortbread) that I make. But. Um. I forgot something. My holiday indulgence. They call it a cookie but, really, it's not a cookie. Not because there's no (discernible) flour in it but because "cookie" is a misnomer. "OMG-THIS-IS-THE-BEST-THING-EVER!!!" is a much better name for it.

I'll just leave this here: https://www.amazon.com/Laceys-Almond.../dp/B001IMSLXM

And this:

<GASP> Dawn, lovey, you are my KINDRED spirit!!!! Whenever I go the bakery to get a mix of cookies, I always ask for extra of those and anytime I see them in a tray at a party, I make sure to grab at least 2 of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
There's a Sicilian bakery about 20 miles north of here -- they have great holiday cookies so I think I'll make a pilgrimage up there in early December. Because I'm too lazy to make them myself.
Given the amount of labor it takes to make them, I would do the drive, too!

I'm going to give them a try though. I like challenging myself (I actually want to try and make sfogliatella but everyone thinks I'm crazy lol )

Old 10-20-2017, 10:25 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,882,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
<GASP> Dawn, lovey, you are my KINDRED spirit!!!! Whenever I go the bakery to get a mix of cookies, I always ask for extra of those and anytime I see them in a tray at a party, I make sure to grab at least 2 of them
Proof #849 that we're kindred spirits: I call (some ) people "lovey" too... lovey.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:57 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,578,355 times
Quote:
My grandmother used to make the Sicilian fig cookie called cucidatti - they're the best cookies I ever had. I made them once and they're incredibly labor-intensive. My grandmother used a meat grinder for the filling and (unlike the following recipe) put orange peel in the dough. When I made them, I made a white chocolate frosting for them. Think of them as the fig newtons they'd serve in heaven.

https://www.prouditaliancook.com/tag/cucidati
I would love them--anything w/ figs. Yum. The older folks sure know how to make good everything! My mother's friend used to make pizzelle's every year. They took a long time. I had a patient when I did home care give me a bag of them once! And, at Easter they all made "Italian cookies." They were like sugar drop cookies, but more eggs or something. And, then iced them w/ different colors--pastel colors of pink and green I think. We loved them!

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 10-20-2017 at 11:06 AM..

Old 10-20-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Proof #849 that we're kindred spirits: I call (some ) people "lovey" too... lovey.
Ah, you made my day!

Old 10-20-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
And, at Easter they all made "Italian cookies." They were like sugar drop cookies, but more eggs or something. And, then iced them w/ different colors--pastel colors of pink and green I think. We loved them!
Yes, those are egg cookies. Easy to make but the icing is tedious. I made ricotta cookies last Christmas for the first time. Took longer to ice them than baking them lol

Old 10-20-2017, 02:13 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,903,809 times
Quote:
Given the amount of labor it takes to make them, I would do the drive, too!

I'm going to give them a try though. I like challenging myself (I actually want to try and make sfogliatella but everyone thinks I'm crazy lol )
Grandma made strufoli a couple of times, but never sfogliatella. Hats off to you for your ambition!

Old 10-20-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Grandma made strufoli a couple of times, but never sfogliatella. Hats off to you for your ambition!
Struffoli was every year. I'm not THAT ambitious lol...I remember the mess it made and dreaded the clean up.

No one I know, and there are some very talented bakers in my family, has ever attempted or even thought to make sfogliatelle. They are very labor intensive. The filling is easy but mastering the layers for the dough is time consuming and laborious. I watched a video on Youtube showing how they're made. No wonder they charge so much for them!

Old 10-21-2017, 04:45 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,578,355 times
Quote:
Yes, those are egg cookies. Easy to make but the icing is tedious. I made ricotta cookies last Christmas for the first time. Took longer to ice them than baking them lol
Never knew they were called egg cookies. Interesting. I just knew they were good. Some made them small, but my relatives made them larger. I can still see them sitting on the waxed paper waiting for the icing to dry...if they lasted that long.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:03 PM

2,621 posts, read 4,021,100 times
Quote:
Um. Hi. My name is Dawn. [Hi, Dawn!] And I'm addicted to cookies.

I already said my piece up-thread. The t-shirt. The CRISP chocolate chip cookies. The Melting Moments (shortbread) that I make. But. Um. I forgot something. My holiday indulgence. They call it a cookie but, really, it's not a cookie. Not because there's no (discernible) flour in it but because "cookie" is a misnomer. "OMG-THIS-IS-THE-BEST-THING-EVER!!!" is a much better name for it.

I'll just leave this here: https://www.amazon.com/Laceys-Almond.../dp/B001IMSLXM

And this:
Those are Florentines/Florentine cookies. Used to have a recipe in one of my cookbooks, and I don't know what I did with it... I suppose I could find some at the grocer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink