Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2017, 12:32 AM

10,456 posts, read 4,038,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I honestly do not know where a single donut shop is within 35 miles of my house.

I know there is a Krispy Kreme on 1st ave in Seattle a block south of Safeco Field ( only because I met people there before for baseball tickets )

I would go to my local Haggens grocer bakery dept if I wanted a doughnut
Are you for real?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 12:45 AM

38,891 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Yes but only once in a while. There are a number of good doughnut shops in my area.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:17 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
The last doughnut was probably three years ago.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:31 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
I will occasionally indulge but only in the good stuff from the old-school bakeries. Dutch Girl Donuts in Detroit is a favorite, they make the best blueberry glazed. I figure that way I'm getting a little fruit in my diet lol.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:03 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,398 times
I just picked up 4 Doughnuts from Dunkin' Donuts this morning: 2 Pumpkin and 2 Boston Cream. (Will not be eating them all myself). I don't eat them all of the time, but all things in moderation...including moderation.
Krispy Kreme and Duck Donuts are a little far from where I live or I'd be going there instead.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:50 AM

10,456 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
I just picked up 4 Doughnuts from Dunkin' Donuts this morning: 2 Pumpkin and 2 Boston Cream. (Will not be eating them all myself). I don't eat them all of the time, but all things in moderation...including moderation.
Krispy Kreme and Duck Donuts are a little far from where I live or I'd be going there instead.
The Pumpkin ones are awesome. But I tend to eat donuts only if someone for work gets them (which was last Friday, someone brought in a bunch of doughnut holes and I had a couple of the pumpkin)

But, I have been interested in actually making my home made doughnuts, that way I can control the ingredients.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:17 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Are you for real?
Dead serious - 100% honest answer

I know every local grocer has a bakery in my city.

But I have not purchased a donut from a specialty donut store in around 25 yrs.

Closest one that I know of is the Krispy Kreme in Seattle next to Safeco Field baseball park that I mentioned - and its 40 miles away

Are there a bunch closer ? Yea I am sure there are. But I do not know where they are ( unless I google searched for them )

Just like I do not know where any pet stores are within 100 miles of my place - I have no pets and no need to frequent pet stores. Same with doughnut stores ... I am not a customer ( the few I have bought have been grocery store donuts )

Old 10-22-2017, 11:50 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I am talking fresh bakery style doughnuts. Not Hostess chocolate or white sugary ones in a bag.

Curious to see everyone's eating habits with this forbidden treat. No doubt with all of the health conscious studies and low carb - low sugar diets it seems every other person we know is on.... I am wandering how many people are regularly eating donuts these days ?

Myself: hardly ever these past 5-10 years. I honestly do not think I have eaten a single donut in 3-4 years. prior to that maybe a few over a 5+ year run

Back in my construction worker / union electrician days ( 15-25 yrs ago ) I ate them all the time as the contractors made sure to have a big box of fresh doughnuts in the job shack every morning. I used to think to myself ... 'wow - that's really nice of them'

Now as I think back it was probably a trick to get all the workers jacked up on sugar 1st thing in the morning so we were far more productive and full of energy.

I occasionally glance over at the doughnuts in my local grocery store and see all the wonderfully decorated fat bombs sitting there all lined up on display looking so sweet and innocent. I just do not seem to notice that many people buying them as in the past.
Zero- gluten free for over eight years now. I don't need to get sick and gain massive amounts of weight from nutrition-less junk.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Yup, donuts are yummy. I only eat them when they are good! It probably ends up being once every month or 2. We have a great place downtown that makes mini donuts in fun flavors. Since they are donut hole sized, it is easy to have 2-3 and still get to try several without going overboard! They have amazing cronuts and that is what I get most of the time.

Fried dough is delicious. Every culture has their own version too! Sesame balls at dim sum, fritters, zeppoles and many more!

That doesn't mean you should have it daily, but as an occasional treat, why not!

Old 10-22-2017, 12:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I used to really like persians from the local donut shop, apple fritters from the orchard and regular glazed & pumpkin spice Tim bits from Tim Hortons. Nowadays, I eat gluten free. The best donut shops are from the midwest. We have Voodoo Donuts here and its not even comparible, same with other donut places I have tried before eating gf.
I found that Voodoo was mediocre (but pretty), but Blue Star in Portland is delicious with high quality ingredients and seasonal flavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink