Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 06:47 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times

Advertisements

There is an amazing donut place about an hour from me so I don't drive there on a whim but if i'm driving by and they are open I'll get a cronut, split in half with fresh strawberries and bavarian cream. I hear they make amazing sandwiches too but why bother when I can splurge on a cronut and a few fresh donuts to take home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 07:06 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
The combination of flour, fat, and sugar gives me horrible indigestion. Years ago I learned that 5 minutes of pleasure was not worth the 2 hours of pain. However, there is this mom and pop donut shop that makes the best donuts I've ever eaten. I may indulge once a year after I've taken a Pepcid!
That's my problem, too.....the incredible heartburn just isn't worth the taste.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:07 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Fasnacht donuts Yum! (shrove Tuesday)

Otherwise cake donuts...are my favorite. With a cup of coffee or tea...

Probably once a month...

No longer care for the Filled kind...or the icing type...

Old 10-20-2017, 07:16 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
The combination of flour, fat, and sugar gives me horrible indigestion. Years ago I learned that 5 minutes of pleasure was not worth the 2 hours of pain. However, there is this mom and pop donut shop that makes the best donuts I've ever eaten. I may indulge once a year after I've taken a Pepcid!
Have you ever tried taking digestive enzymes? I noticed some issues when I ate certain foods a few years ago and on a whim, decided to try some. Made a world of difference. Apparently as we get into our late 30's and early 40's, our bodies begin to produce fewer enzymes which causes problems breaking down foods.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:49 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
I would buy some occasionally but there are absolutely no donut shops or independent bakeries left around here. The grocery store bakeries have replaced them all. I used to like Winchell's donuts.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:04 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I would buy some occasionally but there are absolutely no donut shops or independent bakeries left around here. The grocery store bakeries have replaced them all. I used to like Winchell's donuts.
Yea all the grocery store chains near me have their own bakeries.

I do not lurk around them early in the morning between 4-6am, and sometimes I wander if each grocery store is making their own small batch of various doughnuts each early morning they plan to sell that day... OR is some local baker delivery truck filling up the donut cases running a route.

I always see the baker girls making breads - rolls cakes and things later in the mornings and during the day.

But are they really making a couple hundred donuts every single morning of at least a dozen varieties ?

Seems really inefficient to make such a small quantity of product

Old 10-20-2017, 08:10 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Rarely eat them, but love a good donut shop donut. Yum!

Old 10-20-2017, 08:18 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Yea all the grocery store chains near me have their own bakeries.

I do not lurk around them early in the morning between 4-6am, and sometimes I wander if each grocery store is making their own small batch of various doughnuts each early morning they plan to sell that day... OR is some local baker delivery truck filling up the donut cases running a route.

I always see the baker girls making breads - rolls cakes and things later in the mornings and during the day.

But are they really making a couple hundred donuts every single morning of at least a dozen varieties ?

Seems really inefficient to make such a small quantity of product

I think a lot of it is baked at a central bakery somewhere else and just distributed to their stores. The donuts and danish never taste like they were made that day, and the bakeries don't have those old "baking smells" I see them decorating cakes, but not much else.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:20 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
We have a lot of independent doughnut shops around us. One of them makes especially incredible doughnuts, smaller than the average size, but not quite minis. Sometimes they will show up in the break room at work. The maple bacon topped ones go quickly, I prefer the apple ones. I don't care for the overly sweet Krispy Kreme, or the not-quite-freshly made Dunkin Donuts, and blah to grocery store versions.

The independent shops all close early, usually by 2:00, so it's easy to avoid any temptation. I do miss the hot apple cider doughnuts we used to get years ago at the farm stands.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:25 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I think a lot of it is baked at a central bakery somewhere else and just distributed to their stores. The donuts and danish never taste like they were made that day, and the bakeries don't have those old "baking smells" I see them decorating cakes, but not much else.
Kinda what I was thinking

It would seem so very impractical for each grocery store to make 2 dozen of each of maybe a dozen different varieties of donuts.

The only demand for them is 5am - 10am

Those delivery trucks probably make their run super early like 2-3 am and stock each respective store with their order. Probably in and out in 15 mins if that. 2-3 hour route could deliver to 12-15 stores easily every morning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink