Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 07:14 AM

8,306 posts, read 3,465,849 times

Advertisements

Would love to hear a good recipe. I'll be trying it out for the first time , found a couple of recipes on the net, but dont know which one to pick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 12:06 PM

746 posts, read 3,493,370 times
I've used seitan and find it sort of a blank slate on which you can paint different flavors. It does have a texture similar to chicken, and by using my regular chicken seasonings and preparation - jamaica jerk, cajun or chicken parm - it can pretty much fool the palate.

If you don't like seasonings, then it will just come out with a chewy texture, but hardly anything but a sort of mild cardboard taste.

It also has a different carb-protein-fat makeup than the meat it might substitute for which attracted me at first, until I discovered my low fat diet was a big mistake health wise.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:49 AM

8,306 posts, read 3,465,849 times
Hi Litlux, thanks for replying. Actually I really like the store bought seitan/fake meat , but this time I'm trying to make it from scratch. I tried this recipe yesterday
Chicken Seitan - Allrecipes

But it came out very rubbery though it looked very good , almost like the real thing .lol Trying to find out what went wrong ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink