Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Licorice anyone?
Licorice is disgusting 14 31.11%
I like licorice 12 26.67%
I've tried salted licorice 6 13.33%
I'd try salted licorice 9 20.00%
Salted licorice sounds horrible 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 01:43 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times

Advertisements

I absolutely LOVE licorice (liquorice to me), all shapes and sizes. However, I don't know of a single American friend/acquaintance who likes licorice, so I can't get anyone to try salted licorice.

Anyway, many Europeans not only like licorice, but they also like salted licorice. I LOVE salted licorice, and it becomes a bit of an addiction after one craves that odd taste combination. You see, it's not salted with normal table salt (sodium chloride). It's salted with ammonium chloride, so you get a salty, ammonia sensation with that rich licorice flavor.

So, I know I'm in the minority here, but who likes licorice and has tasted salted licorice or would be willing to give salted licorice a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 01:45 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
I like it, if it's not too salty.

Also like salted caramel.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:07 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
I've never seen the salted type but I do like licorice in general. I'd sure give it a try.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:21 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
We were given some years ago, by a Dutch couple who ran an imports store in the area and went to our church. I love black licorice, but that licorice was SO incredibly salty, none of us could choke it down.

I would try it again, though. Maybe that variety was just not a good one.

Last edited by saibot; 11-02-2017 at 03:04 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 02:39 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I absolutely LOVE licorice (liquorice to me), all shapes and sizes. However, I don't know of a single American friend/acquaintance who likes licorice, so I can't get anyone to try salted licorice.

Anyway, many Europeans not only like licorice, but they also like salted licorice. I LOVE salted licorice, and it becomes a bit of an addiction after one craves that odd taste combination. You see, it's not salted with normal table salt (sodium chloride). It's salted with ammonium chloride, so you get a salty, ammonia sensation with that rich licorice flavor.

So, I know I'm in the minority here, but who likes licorice and has tasted salted licorice or would be willing to give salted licorice a try.
I like salted caramel. (Some people spell it "carmel," but that's a place, not a candy). I would try salted licorice, I guess.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:10 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Black licorice is my favorite candy. Next up is salted caramel. The salted licorice is good, but I still prefer the unsalted soft style.

I was quite unhappy to read this the other day. https://chicago.suntimes.com/lifesty...ful-fda-warns/

Old 11-02-2017, 04:49 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times
I like licorice better than chewing gum, but ...

Quote:
FDA warns that black licorice can cause heart problems in adults — confirming it's the worst.
Oct. 31, 2017
  • Black licorice contains the sweetening compound glycyrrhizin, which can decrease potassium levels in the body, according to the US Food and Drug Administration.
  • That temporary potassium deficiency can cause abnormal heart rhythms, high blood pressure, and even congestive heart failure.
  • People over 40 with a history of high blood pressure and heart disease are especially at risk, the FDA says.
http://www.businessinsider.com/black...over-40-2017-10

Old 11-02-2017, 05:03 PM

520 posts, read 600,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post

I love, Love, LOVE licorice!! I've tried the salted kind but I don't like it. However, a co-worker just came back from Iceland and brought me a bag of licorice this morning. It's got a faint hint of sweet, but not salty, and I love it. I'm not a fan of licorice that's too cloyingly sweet. My favorite sweets are licorice fudge, which I stocked up on each time I visited Denmark. My other favorite is a hybrid wine gum/licorice that I find in the Netherlands and Scandinavian countries. I think they're called "Dropfruit Duo's" in the Netherlands. I go wild for both.[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 11-02-2017, 06:02 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,161,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
I love, Love, LOVE licorice!! I've tried the salted kind but I don't like it.
Same here, although haven't had any in awhile.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:25 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I love licorice and now want to try the salted kind. Any suggestions on brands?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink