Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 11:56 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

One big factor in our food likes/dislikes, besides taste, is texture.

What are your likes and dislikes for textures?

My favorite is probably foods that are crunchy or crispy. That's why I like chips and snacks and any other foods that are deep fried extra crispy. I just find the crunchiness satisfying for some reason.

My dislike are foods that are slimy or give the impression of slime. There are some food items that I think don't taste that bad, but just find them gross because of the slimy texture. Eels is one. Okra another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 12:12 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
I'm with you, SG....crispy and crunchy, with salt usually...

Slimy is the worst...btw, I roast fresh okra in the oven and it's never slimy, just crispy.

Not a fan of fish consistency either.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
One big factor in our food likes/dislikes, besides taste, is texture.

What are your likes and dislikes for textures?

My favorite is probably foods that are crunchy or crispy. That's why I like chips and snacks and any other foods that are deep fried extra crispy. I just find the crunchiness satisfying for some reason.

My dislike are foods that are slimy or give the impression of slime. There are some food items that I think don't taste that bad, but just find them gross because of the slimy texture. Eels is one. Okra another.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:17 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,109 times
great post ... I will edit later today with more info

My quick answers is slimy foods also. I have pulled the freshest oysters on the planet off of remote areas in Canada that the average oyster eater would absolutely drool over. I just cannot do the raw oyster thing ( and trust me I have tried )

I am OK grilling them open on the half shell and adding things after the cook in the shell and get more firm. or I am OK frying in a skillet and firming them up.

Olives - OMG I cannot get over the eye ball texture and look of whole olives. It just freaks me out. I am OK with small amounts of diced olives on a pizza or maybe as an ingredient in a burrito or something. But eating a whole olive is something I just will not do unless the offer is $500 ea olive I eat

others are really sour bitter foods ( cooked spinach comes to mind ) I hate cooked spinach but totally love raw spinach

Old 11-04-2017, 06:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
As a little girl I hated canned pineapple, especially pineapple rings. It was definitely a texture thing for me. I love freshpineapple now.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:24 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
Likewise with the crunchy as fav. Don't care for slimy (although I've come to really like okra prepared in many ways) and I don't like rubbery texture..like jarred mushrooms, steamed clams, shiritaki noodles, etc. I'd just as soon eat a handful of rubber bands.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:36 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
I don't like the texture of a lot of meat, especially steaks. Chewing that much seems endless at times.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:08 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
least favorite is grainy - Cream of Wheat, grits, etc.

Favorite - kettle chips, but I also love marshmallows.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:09 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,025,823 times
One of my absolute favorite textures is chewy plus crunchy. I have a recipe for a fruit crumble and the topping is just perfectly crunchy on top and chewy underneath.

I don't like foods that are slimy, but I think tough and stringy are just as bad.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:11 PM

671 posts, read 445,465 times
I can't handle really spicy foods.
Hate Licorice with a passion.
Will not eat anything with fat on it..like ribs or steak thats slimey with fat.
Eggs that have uncooked white goop.
Chicken that has tendons still attached and it's chewy.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:48 PM

19,427 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Olives - OMG I cannot get over the eye ball texture and look of whole olives. It just freaks me out. I am OK with small amounts of diced olives on a pizza or maybe as an ingredient in a burrito or something. But eating a whole olive is something I just will not do unless the offer is $500 ea olive I eat
I love the "meaty" texture of olives, especially after I've "desiccated" them. lol

I hate the "pop" of certain sausage skins. I always hear about people loving that, and it being a favored trait of a good sausage. Ugh. Same thing with lobster. I know lobster and shrimp aren't supposed to be overcooked and "rubbery," but I've tried lobster a couple of times and I just can't get into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink