Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:32 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times

Advertisements

Gee, my imagination went wild when you mentioned "non traditional". For some reason, I pictured dancing and feathers. I was actually rather disappointed when it turned out you only meant you weren't going to eat turkey.

Hubby and I both love turkey leftovers, so even if we have T-day dinner somewhere else, we'll cook our own turkey at some point, too. One holiday season they were selling birds so cheap, we ate 3 between T-day and New Years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 11:39 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Gloves?
I think it's potato juice that ends up in the air, because I get hives on my chest and upper arms, and a cough that won't stop. I'm just glad I can still eat potatoes, at least for now.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:43 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
I thoroughly approve.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:10 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I think it's potato juice that ends up in the air, because I get hives on my chest and upper arms, and a cough that won't stop. I'm just glad I can still eat potatoes, at least for now.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:21 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am doing non-traditional Thanksgiving EVERY YEAR...
It's up to you what you put on the table. Turkey and ham year after a year after a year for all holidays gets old very fast. There is so much of other stuff people can eat...
Don't knock tradition. It doesn't get boring eating the same food once a year. The continuity is comforting, and making family recipes can make one feel closer to family that may be far away.

I don't have exactly the same food every year actually, as I don't go to the same relative's house every year, but I always find that I want to recreate my version of my childhood Thanksgiving favorites on a smaller scale sometime in December.

Nobody's cranberry sauce tastes like Mom's recipe made in the wreath of roses mold (heck, some years it's out of a can on the actual holiday), the stuffing probably wasn't as sagey as I like it, and I didn't get turkey tacos or turkey sandwiches afterwards because I didn't host.

I look forward to this ritual annually. Cooking and eating the meal brings back happy memories of friends and family. My dad doesn't call me "the nostalgia queen" for nothing.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:08 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Welp, looks like we're having turkey this year, after all. Lidl had them for $.79/lb. But the sides will be a bit different, since we're low carb now. I can still make gravy, cranberry sauce, and, if pushed to it, green beans, but the mashed potatoes will be cauliflower instead. Since we'll be feeding the in laws, I'll probably make a small amount of regular mashed potatoes for them. I may make asparagus instead of green beans.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:58 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Turns out, no one in the family wants to see turkey, stuffing, green beans, gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, or pumpkin pie on the holiday table this year.

Will go either prime rib or spiral sliced ham for the main dish, and dessert will be homemade tiramisu. Haven't decided on the sides yet, but if we do the prime rib then everyone wants the Yorkshire puddings. Might do deviled eggs just because.

Is anyone else going non-traditional this year? What are you planning to serve?
I'm not serving anything, I'm traveling and I'll eat whatever I'll find in restaurants. And I'm going to feel so good because I wont have to slave over food, get fat and feel guilty after, and I'm going to come back to a clean house. That's the best

Old 11-09-2017, 02:06 PM

252 posts, read 420,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That's exactly what I expect to see for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, along with scalloped oysters and baked ham (and Christmas pudding with Bird's custard at Christmas). I have another 363 days of the year to eat something different.
100% this! I don't like Turkey except for Thanksgiving day. Favorite meal of the year.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:06 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times
But, turkey is so lean, the dark meat so filled with protein and iron, very nutritious. I believe it is a healthy choice for meat eaters.

And turkey with a side of sweet potato and cranberry sauce and what ever greens- low on carbs and a very healthy meal... I don't get all the anti- turkey kick back...

Old 11-09-2017, 02:08 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Sometimes I dread cooking another turkey, but we just don't feel like it's Thanksgiving without the traditional meal. Ours is somewhat non-traditional this year because I'll be serving it at midnight, when my husband gets off work. If any of his coworkers need a Thanksgiving dinner, he'll bring them home too. I have a dozen turkey breasts in the deep freeze because Walmart was clearing them for 50 cents, so I'll probably cook four so we have plenty.

I don't do green beans and I've become allergic to raw potatoes, so if we have mashed potatoes I'll have to find some way to cook them whole, then peel and mash.
Can you just roast them whole and mash em fresh outa the oven? Just wondering? (this makes sense since you are roasting the breasts- cook em at the same time...

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 11-09-2017 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink