Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 02:16 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times

Advertisements

I've cooked a traditional turkey dinner for Thanksgiving every year for the past 42 years. Single, married, with friends over, alone, it's what's for dinner. I would consider cooking something else, but my turkey dinner is absolute perfection. Yum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 02:31 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,074 times
Only 3 or 4 of us this year, so it'll be parmesan crusted chicken, home made cranberry sauce, scalloped potatoes, roast winter veggies, and for dessert pumpkin squares and either apple tart a la mode or caramel apple cheese cake. No turkey, no green beans, and no mashed potatoes unless there is demand, in which case there'll be gravy too.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:33 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Tradition!

My lovely, new daughter in law, who is of Vietnamese decent, is making desert this year, I know it will be delicious.

But there will be a pumpkin pie on the sideboard.

:-)
I love pumpkin pie. Do you know what kind of dessert your DIL is going to make? She must be a great cook, from your confidence.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:05 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I think it's potato juice that ends up in the air, because I get hives on my chest and upper arms, and a cough that won't stop. I'm just glad I can still eat potatoes, at least for now.
You can boil potatoes in their skins, I do it quite often, as they are so easy to pull the skin off once cooked, & when you pull the skin off, it is only the skin, so I get more potato Just wash ( or not) some potatoes & boil in water till cooked, then I take them out to sit for a while, & once they are cool enough to handle, pull the skin off using a knife & fingers. Or use a kitchen towel to hold them, if they are too hot, then you add them inot a panof warmed milk & melted butter etc & mash away.

Re: TG dinner we re going to a local diner this year, it is only the two of us, & they are offering a nice dinner for an economical price. But I might buy a small turkey or a breast after TG if I see a cheap one, as I do like to have some to eat in the fridge.

One year we did roast pork for TG, it was great, so easy too. And another year we roasted one whole chicken.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:40 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Last year's Thanksgiving was a mini-disaster for me, because every family member--save one--was ill with flu or some sort of gastrointestinal malady. So, despite having bought a LOT of raw materials for my various dishes, having prepared a few dishes ahead of time, and also having bought an insanely-expensive heritage-breed free-range turkey, I wound-up with an empty table.

Because I was able to give some food to friends and neighbors, and because I made a really good turkey vegetable soup from that bird, I was able to recoup--to some extent--from that fiasco. However, the entire episode was so off-putting that we have all agreed to do our Thanksgiving celebrating at a restaurant from now on. None of us is getting any younger, and the labor that is involved with all of that prep is just not something that any of us are eager to engage in from here on in.

So, we have made reservations at a really good German restaurant, and those of us who want turkey can have it, those who want goose can indulge in that type of poultry, and those who are poultry-averse can dine on Kassler Ripchen, or Sauerbraten, or pan-seared salmon with Hollandaise sauce, or whatever tickles their fancy from the restaurant's extensive menu.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:59 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
I love Thanksgiving food but I haven't cooked a turkey in years. I usually roast Cornish hens (both savory and sweet).

One year we had baby back ribs with all of the sides.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:14 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am doing non-traditional Thanksgiving EVERY YEAR...
It's up to you what you put on the table. Turkey and ham year after a year after a year for all holidays gets old very fast. There is so much of other stuff people can eat...

I actually look forward to turkey that one time of year. It's the same meals I make week after week and month after month that I get tired of

As for non traditional my DH and I will be at a friend's house. They don't like turkey so it will most likely be ham or fried chicken. I'm happy to be invited and I'm not picky but I will miss turkey.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:22 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am doing non-traditional Thanksgiving EVERY YEAR...
It's up to you what you put on the table. Turkey and ham year after a year after a year for all holidays gets old very fast. There is so much of other stuff people can eat...
Yup.. different strokes for different folks.... personally, TG is the only time I have turkey all year so it doesn't really get too old even tho I'm not overly fond of it, but I do like it. And, I LOVE the smell of it cooking. For me... the olfactory nerves alone make the turkey and day wonderful.
I have pot roast and steak all the time so, for me.. it's different.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Welp, looks like we're having turkey this year, after all. Lidl had them for $.79/lb. But the sides will be a bit different, since we're low carb now. I can still make gravy, cranberry sauce, and, if pushed to it, green beans, but the mashed potatoes will be cauliflower instead. Since we'll be feeding the in laws, I'll probably make a small amount of regular mashed potatoes for them. I may make asparagus instead of green beans.
I love mashed cauliflower and.. if you haven't tried it.. when you throw the cauli into the food processor, don't add any cream but add a little cream cheese and shredded parm and it's really good and thick. It doesn't necessarily taste like either one of those ingredients but it really comes close to actual mashed taters that way.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Last year's Thanksgiving was a mini-disaster for me, because every family member--save one--was ill with flu or some sort of gastrointestinal malady. So, despite having bought a LOT of raw materials for my various dishes, having prepared a few dishes ahead of time, and also having bought an insanely-expensive heritage-breed free-range turkey, I wound-up with an empty table.

Because I was able to give some food to friends and neighbors, and because I made a really good turkey vegetable soup from that bird, I was able to recoup--to some extent--from that fiasco. However, the entire episode was so off-putting that we have all agreed to do our Thanksgiving celebrating at a restaurant from now on. None of us is getting any younger, and the labor that is involved with all of that prep is just not something that any of us are eager to engage in from here on in.

So, we have made reservations at a really good German restaurant, and those of us who want turkey can have it, those who want goose can indulge in that type of poultry, and those who are poultry-averse can dine on Kassler Ripchen, or Sauerbraten, or pan-seared salmon with Hollandaise sauce, or whatever tickles their fancy from the restaurant's extensive menu.
Awww... that's too bad. I know what it's like to go to all the expense and trouble and things go awry like that. We had severe flooding on Christmas 2 yrs ago and essentially the same thing happened.

I don't blame you for the change!
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink