Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 06:44 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,204,551 times

Advertisements

In my Amerfican apartment, I found them all to be space wasters, and there was nothing I could do with them that couldn't be done just as well without it.

I found a microwave next to the dumpster once, that worked fine except a couple of numbers on the keypad didn't work, and I had to use 49 instead of 50. But it just took up space, I put a potato in it a couple of times, but wound up throwing it back out where I got it. I can bring a cup of water to boil on the stovetop in 90 seconds, against 60 in the zapper., and see when it boils, and not have to listen to the fan.

For toast, I just hold a piece of bread in tongs over the stove top burner, makes two slices just as quick as a popup. And they don't have to be thin-sliced American white bread. No crumbs to wipe up on what is now a usable half-square-foot of countertop.

Cowboy coffee is fine, no need for a coffeemaker.

I do have a dollar blender from a yard sale, which I use quite a bit. The container is missing, but a mason jar fits the standards threads (I bet you didn;t know that).

Oh, there's a pressure cooker, I use a lot, but it heats on the stovetop. So it's not really an appliance.

Last edited by cebuan; 12-17-2017 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 06:51 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
In my Amerfican apartment, I found them all to be space wasters, and there was nothing I could do with them that couldn't be done just as well without it.

I found a microwave next to the dumpster once, that worked fine except a couple of numbers on the keypad didn't work, and I had to use 49 instead of 50. But it just took up space, I put a potato in it a couple of times, but wound up throwing it back out where I got it. I can bring a cup of water to boil on the stovetop in 90 seconds, against 60 in the zapper., and see when it boils, and not have to listen to the fan.

For toast, I just hold a piece of bread in tongs over the stove top burner, makes two slices just as quick as a popup. No crumbs to wipe up on what is now a usable half-square-foot of countertop.

I do have a dollar blender from a yard sale, which I use quite a bit. The container is missing, but a mason jar fits the standards threads (I bet you didn;t know that),
When I make toast, I'm making eggs and boiling water for tea and possibly making my kid's sandwich for lunch all while the bread is happily toasting all by itself in the toaster. Who has time to stand there holding pieces of bread over a burner when that time can be productively used getting everything else ready so you get to eat a nice breakfast with all of the parts of it cooked and hot and ready at the same time?

Old 12-17-2017, 08:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post

For toast, I just hold a piece of bread in tongs over the stove top burner, makes two slices just as quick as a popup. And they don't have to be thin-sliced American white bread. No crumbs to wipe up on what is now a usable half-square-foot of countertop.

I do have a dollar blender from a yard sale, which I use quite a bit. The container is missing, but a mason jar fits the standards threads (I bet you didn;t know that).

Oh, there's a pressure cooker, I use a lot, but it heats on the stovetop. So it's not really an appliance.
Your system works for what I expect is a one person apartment, in a small kitchen. If you have to make daily meals for a family, and if you have a little more space to spare, several countertop appliances are handy to have. I use my countertop convection oven to make as many as 6 pieces of toast. This evening I warmed up two pieces of grilled chicken in it. I poach eggs in my micro, and warm up leftovers in it as well. I try to use my small appliances enough to justify having them. A few years ago I was given a tall Ninja blender which I have never used. I finally got rid of it to make room for my Instant Pot which I will use quite a bit. Tonight I made brown rice in it. I foresee getting rid of my rice cooker which has given me good service for around 17 years.

Circumstances and needs change as one progresses through life.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

But some people swing to the other extreme, where they want to keep everything, because someday it could become useful. Not in a hoarding way, because they work hard at using things and re-purposing when they can, but something like "I already have a can opener that works. But they always break or wear out eventually, so I'll also keep the two other can openers I have because someday, I'll need another one and that way I won't have to buy one."
This is my husband, and I completely see the merit in keeping things that have future usefulness around, as long as you have the space to store them away until needed. If you don't have the available storage space, nope.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
When I make toast, I'm making eggs and boiling water for tea and possibly making my kid's sandwich for lunch all while the bread is happily toasting all by itself in the toaster. Who has time to stand there holding pieces of bread over a burner when that time can be productively used getting everything else ready so you get to eat a nice breakfast with all of the parts of it cooked and hot and ready at the same time?

Yep, if I'm toasting bread in the toaster oven, I can be doing a variety of other things while that's happening. Not letting my eggs, my kids' eggs, etc. get cold while I then toast individual slices of bread over an open flame with tongs one by one.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:07 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,884,919 times
I too don't like a cluttered counter top. The only things I have sitting out are the microwave and the toaster oven because they're too big to stash below, and the coffee pot because we use it daily. Oh, and the wine rack. For the same reason as the coffee pot.

Old 06-20-2021, 12:03 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,652,838 times
Default Most useful and wasteful small appliances

For those of you who like to cook, what small appliances do you find most useful--versus those that you wish you'd never bought?

Things such as toaster ovens, air fryers, slow cookers, George Forman grills, etc.

Old 06-20-2021, 12:39 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,332,649 times
I don't know about the most useful. The most wasteful to me is an electric can opener. My manual Swing A Way is just as fast and not as messy. Plus it's one less appliance to store.

Old 06-20-2021, 12:51 PM

765 posts, read 620,361 times
An electric kettle is really useful. Same with a toaster oven. You can make so many things with them.

Old 06-20-2021, 12:54 PM

8,753 posts, read 5,040,045 times
I am thinking of buying a vegetable sprializer....not sure if is worth it or not. I do love my airfryer, and use it often. Today, I have a pork butt in a crockpot....love that to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House