Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 12:55 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times

Advertisements

Food I prepare ahead of time: cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower and stuffing (they go into the oven to warm up after the turkey comes out of the oven for "resting" and carving - I don't carve the turkey at the table), and dessert.

Food I prepare on Thanksgiving day: turkey, stuffing, vegetables, rolls.

Dang, now I'm hungry! Thursday can't come soon enough.

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 01:05 PM

130,222 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You and your mom seem to invent things to argue about. If your mom is cooking, it's her call as to how she wants to do it. You can offer to bring some fresh vegetables if you want, but otherwise common decency and manners apply and you should neither make special requests nor criticize what she's doing. If the food sucks, just smile, say "thank you" and get some takeout on the way home.

With some exceptions, I don't like to eat food that's been prepared days in advance. But unless food poisoning is an issue, I just eat it without complaint. It doesn't happen often.
exactly she is cooking, so offer to bring a few side dishes, or else eat what you are given. Food often tastes better after it sits overnight ( think soups, sauces & stews all taste better after they sit)

Old 11-21-2017, 02:18 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
That sounds okay to me. And if it makes things easier for her, what's the difference? Thanksgiving leftovers are a good thing, after all.

I always make the cranberry sauce the day before. For the stuffing, the day before I saute the onions in butter, add the seasonings and liquid, then refrigerate until just before we eat on Thanksgiving, when I bring it to a boil, then add the bread cubes.

Time-saving shortcuts allow everyone to enjoy the day.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:24 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
I decided to make a cherry pie tonight instead of tomorrow night. Now I'm worried it will have deteriorated somehow by Thursday! I don't usually make cherry pies, but my daughter left pie filling at my house and hubby can't eat it, so I'm taking it with to her in-laws.
He did request my usual gluten-free pumpkin pie, which is a LOT of work and takes a lot of time, so that's waiting 'til Wednesday night.
I have never made my turkey ahead of time. Smelling it all morning is nearly the best part of Thanksgiving! I make my stuffing a couple days ahead of time, and usually my pies the night before. I'm not cooking this year, we're going to our daughter's in-laws, hence just the pies.
And beer and wine, of course.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:51 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Plenty of foods positively taste better after a day or two in the fridge.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:53 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Plenty of foods positively taste better after a day or two in the fridge.
Not mashed potatoes.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:56 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
Many times food taste better after it's cooked, put in fridge, and served the next day or two.

Makes her life easier, too. More time to spend with her.
That's the right answer, and that's why I made lots of cranberry sauce yesterday.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:02 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
My mom doesn’t usually cook for Thanksgiving, but she’s cooking a few things this year just for herself, my dad, and I. She mentioned to me that she plans to cook the turkey tonight (Tuesday) and I said “ok” because I know that takes time. Then she mentioned that she cooked one of the green vegetable sides yesterday (Monday). I told her that I don’t want to eat vegetables that she cooked on Monday on Thursday, and she got offended. lol Am I wrong for feeling this way or do others start cooking Thanksgiving items this early in the week? I know some things will last a few days, but I’d prefer fresh veggies.

Disclaimer: I don’t expect or even want my mom to cook for me, so this isn’t an issue of me being rude and ungrateful. But we’re pretty blunt with each other so I was just letting her know that I think she’s cooking stuff too early.
Cooking the turkey today for Thursday? It doesn't take THAT long lol

I'm kind of fussy when it comes to turkey. I don't like it that much to begin with and when it sits in the fridge for more than 2 days, I get sick of the smell. It actually stinks up the fridge if it's not tightly wrapped.

I like prepping ahead, not necessarily cooking ahead. I have to agree with you about the veggies. Some veggies cooked on Monday for Thursday kind of lose their flavor. I can understand steaming them Monday and then heating them and adding other things to them on Thursday but even then sometimes steamed veggies lose their consistency and flavor after a few days.

I'm cooking this year but it's only 4 of us. I plan to only prep Wednesday and hopefully get a batch of crème brulee done otherwise most of the cooking will be done Thursday. I have a double oven so I can get a lot cooked on that day...I don't have to stress too much

Old 11-21-2017, 04:53 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
Personally, I cook the Turkey on TG day. I love to smell it cooking while I put on the sounds of the TG Day Parade on tv. But I do as much prep ahead of time as possible and pies and cranberry sauce is made the day before or 2 days before. But... green vegetables, I cook on that day unless it's a veggie casserole, then I make that the day before.
I'm kinda with you on the green veggies being cooked 4 days ahead of time. They most likely won't make you sick but I'd consider them on their last leg by that time. I wouldn't take any for next day leftovers. They're already getting old by that time in my opinion.
It's one thing to say she's hosting and it's her call. It's also your call to say no if it's close to becoming something that you feel might make you sick.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:44 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercoyote View Post
I make the cranberries , cook the sweet potatoes for the casserole and sometimes the turkey ahead. I would not have a problem cooking green bean or broccoli casserole ahead. Pies and rolls I prefer to bake the same day we eat them. To be very blunt, I don't consider what others cook ahead worth arguing about. Life is short, eat the food and be thankful you can enjoy Thanksgiving with your mom.

My mother died the day before Thanksgiving....She was coming to visit us, instead we spent Thanksgiving Day flying up to Michigan to handle her funeral......you truly never know what might happen, remember, tomorrow is promised to no one, enjoy today, its all we truly have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink