U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,306 times

Advertisements

I am a student at the University of Southern Mississippi. I am doing a map project on cultural diversity of holiday traditions in America. I want to know what dishes are most common, particularly for New Years Day, in your State. For instance, in South Mississippi we eat black-eyed peas for luck and cabbage for money. Also any other traditions are useful. Any information will be helpful.
Thank you,
Kris Kelley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 05:54 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,296,292 times
In Alabama, you don't just eat black-eyed peas for luck. You're also supposed to cook a silver dollar in the pot with the peas.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:38 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,581,342 times
In Kentucky we eat black eyed peas and cabbage or greens as well. Well, at least I do.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 AM

5,802 posts, read 15,508,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
In Alabama, you don't just eat black-eyed peas for luck. You're also supposed to cook a silver dollar in the pot with the peas.
I've never heard of that!
Mostly I've heard that you eat black-eye peas (representing coin) and greens (representing folding money!). Greens - could be cabbage, turnip, or mustard greens. As long as they're green!

Old 03-20-2008, 07:23 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,274,063 times
In NJ i havent heard of any traditional New Year Day food--but NJ is very diverse, so you may get different nationalities to chime in. as an italian, we eat lentil soup for good luck.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:20 AM

6,276 posts, read 15,544,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
In NJ i havent heard of any traditional New Year Day food--but NJ is very diverse, so you may get different nationalities to chime in. as an italian, we eat lentil soup for good luck.
Neither have I. Champagne at midnight is the only tradition I know.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:50 AM

1,939 posts, read 5,486,415 times
In South Side of Chicago (very Irish area), most of the children stay up till midnight. When the ball drops they all run out in front of thier homes in their pajamas with their party favors and hot chocolate with marshmallows. It usually doesn't last long because its usually Freeeezing and snowy-- Im pretty sure this is a tradition, it was in a few neighborhoods anyway..

Old 03-20-2008, 08:55 AM

3,131 posts, read 10,285,250 times
no New Year's Day food traditions in our house. Usually just whatever food we agree on for dinner that day!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:49 AM

10,167 posts, read 16,675,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskelleyhinds View Post
I am a student at the University of Southern Mississippi. I am doing a map project on cultural diversity of holiday traditions in America. I want to know what dishes are most common, particularly for New Years Day, in your State. For instance, in South Mississippi we eat black-eyed peas for luck and cabbage for money. Also any other traditions are useful. Any information will be helpful.
Thank you,
Kris Kelley
In Texas, black-eyed peas on New Years Day are DEFINITELY a tradtion. So far as the greens go, it varies. Cabbage is most common, at least in my experience, but turnip are very popular too. And of course, you have to have cornbread!

Great project, KH, and keep us informed as to your findings!

Old 03-20-2008, 12:12 PM

16,487 posts, read 20,380,902 times
My husband's family was from Ohio and they have a tradition of eating porch with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes and I was told when I married him it was for good luck through the year. Well from the year we were married and for many years we did this. His mom would even call some years and make sure we ate that. We after enough years of not so good luck I decided to change it up. We now have prime rib. I can buy it cheap that time of year. Now I cannot say our luck is a lot different with the change, but we enjoy the prime rib. So to MIL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink