Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 12:24 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post

I do notice that they too can have areas of yellow skin, which points to a fruit that ripened naturally in the ground before it got picked, and is much sweeter from the get-go.

pineapples are one week or more away from where they were harvested so they never ripened naturally on the ground. they got harvested matured and ripened along the way.

you are right with the color though, bright yellow. that's the best you could get. wait for 2 days and you have a firm and sweet pineapple.

pineapples coming from Central America are no match from those from Hawaii or Philippines though. dont know why those coming from CA are firm/hard while those from Hawaii or Philippines are very soft
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 12:34 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
https://www.eatbydate.com/fruits/fresh/pineapples/

Old 12-05-2017, 12:51 PM

939 posts, read 788,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
For replying, and supplying the link, thanks to you too.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:11 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,370 times
Kinda related ... I have always liked pineapple juice, but not so much actually eating fresh pineapple ?

I think its the weird texture of pineapple that makes me not like to eat it.

to help the OP - i think most foods are still good and safe to eat well beyond the posted: 'sell by date'

Just use your eyes and your nose. if something looks off or smells funny ... toss it. Not worth the risk

Old 12-05-2017, 02:39 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
I think it's easy to tell when pineapple is going bad. The first sign is a bit of a fermented taste (probably won't hurt you, but I don't like it), then it starts going brown or slimy eventually.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:02 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,326,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I think it's easy to tell when pineapple is going bad. The first sign is a bit of a fermented taste (probably won't hurt you, but I don't like it), then it starts going brown or slimy eventually.
I actually like the fermented taste. I rinse the pineapple slices in salt water, cut them into cubes and boil them with cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. Then serve them with honey.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:04 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
As they used to say back in the big T "there's no tellin."

Old 12-05-2017, 06:08 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
I read an article by a doctor about which foods to avoid, fresh cut (pre-cut) fruit was right up there. Loaded with bacteria and a great breeding ground for them. Just one article I found.
https://www.babycenter.com.au/x25023...ring-pregnancy

Old 12-06-2017, 12:06 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
pineapples are one week or more away from where they were harvested so they never ripened naturally on the ground. they got harvested matured and ripened along the way.

you are right with the color though, bright yellow. that's the best you could get. wait for 2 days and you have a firm and sweet pineapple.

pineapples coming from Central America are no match from those from Hawaii or Philippines though. dont know why those coming from CA are firm/hard while those from Hawaii or Philippines are very soft
It's tough growing tropical fruits in Canada.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:09 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
I used to buy watermelon slices/chunks well out of season at a large grocery chain, but I think they added sugar to them and/or the liquid, as every piece tasted as sweet as the others, even the white-ish ones!

Female watermelons are more round, and usually contain less seeds.

Most folks don't know how to pick fresh whole watermelons.

They first thing they do is thump it... wrong order.

Some only thump once in one spot, then they automatically pick that very first one, as they heard you are suppose to thump them, but don't know why.

Thumping only assures crispness, not sweetness.

I first look for sweet ones. Ones that are the deepest yellow all along the bottom. The longer and darker the yellow patch, the better.

If you see the yellow on the end-cap, that means it was grown standing upright, not flat, and not good.

After I select a yellow one, it's time to see if it is also crisp.

If you buy apples, oranges, lemons, etc., and only look at one side of it, if at all, you'll only need to thump one area of the watermelon, if at all.

Watermelons get tossed and thrown, sometimes even before they reach the grocers.

If they are lucky to survive that, they get tossed and thrown when customers are picking through them at the market, which causes the melon to get bruised (on a side or two only), then soft, which is why it is important to thump at least a dozen times in various areas. I use my middle finger and quickly tap down and quickly up, almost like Liberace!

Lots of people know that the thump is supposed to sound hollow, but that should be done on all sides.

With mouth closed and relaxed, gently slap your cheek and you should get the thump-sound of a wet balled-up rag...not good.

Do the same thing with your mouth completely open to get that hollow, almost "pop" sound, and that is closer to the sound you want from the melon.

You don't have to thump many areas, just the ones you don't want to be mushy.
No need to think about it, just read the label; if anything is added it must be shown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink