U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 12:19 AM

6,836 posts, read 14,620,770 times

Advertisements

There is no law in my state about restaurants having to "label" menu foods. If you're seriously allergic to nuts, you need to ask specific questions. I don't believe the restaurant was in the wrong simply for putting nuts in the mashed potatoes. (Were the nuts part of a topping, like a gorgonzola/nut mix?)

On the other hand, how the restaurant has handled the rest of it has been very bad, and I'd be more than annoyed by that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 10:54 AM

3,490 posts, read 7,220,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
There is no law in my state about restaurants having to "label" menu foods. If you're seriously allergic to nuts, you need to ask specific questions. I don't believe the restaurant was in the wrong simply for putting nuts in the mashed potatoes. (Were the nuts part of a topping, like a gorgonzola/nut mix?)

On the other hand, how the restaurant has handled the rest of it has been very bad, and I'd be more than annoyed by that.

Nope - if it had nut shavings or something on top I would have asked about them. The brazil nuts were literally in chunks that you couldn't see IN the potatoe.

I actually also think that we were both to blame. To be fair I do think 'hiding' nuts in a food that does not normally have them is a very bad idea. Perhaps they will stop if someone dies.

I should have mentioned my allergy to them and I take responsibilty for that BUT as I said in over 30 years I have never come across brazil nuts in savory food - until now. Now I guess I'll have to make a point of telling every restaurant I go to. Annoying, but necessary it seems.

My DH went back to the restaurant on Wednesday night, but they were closed.
I'm thinking of going down there again today and starting to make a bit more of a fuss.

Or, do you think a letter sent requiring a signature is a good way to go. I am really surprised about how they have chosen to handle this - so far we've been really nice about it, maybe we've been too nice?

DH actually says the bill was $72 including tip (don't know why he left a full tip, but guess he had other things on his mind).

It really just seems wrong and I am becoming increasingly POed by their lack of response. It makes us want to make a much bigger deal of it than we would otherwise have done.

I looked up the laws and I don't think the restaurant has to lable things the way they do on packets, but I think they are meant to have signs around reminding guests to tell them of allergies and to call 911 if someone has a food allergy. They were too busy bringing us the bill to worry about calling 911! : )

I still maintain that hiding nuts in food that doesn't normally have them is a bad idea. At least nuts sprinkled on top would give you a clue, but these were totally hidden. It's just dangerous.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:13 AM

OK - I just called them again. Spoke to a new person, explained the situation and she apologized profusely and is going to credit us the $72.
She said that someone had seriously dropped the ball on this and that she would tell the owner.

Not sure if we'll get a call from the owner, but glad that at least someone seems to actually care about what happened!

I will also go in there and chat with them about the dangers of 'hiding' ingredients that a lot of people are allergic to. Next time they could get people who are less understanding than us, or someone could die.

Hopefully they will take it a bit more seriously now.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:47 AM

34,686 posts, read 42,839,747 times
If I were you I would always tell the waiter at any restaurant first thing. But, who in their right mind puts brazil nuts in anything, let alone potatoes?
I suppose you could sue them if you think it's worth it, but hopefully they've at least come to realize the danger of doing what they did...even if they didn't admit it.

It would have served them right if you had called the emergency squad to take you out of the restaurant.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:23 PM

3,131 posts, read 10,281,145 times
glad to hear that you are ok. No one in our family has a food allergy, so i cannot relate to the attack. However, I do think that you will have to mention your allergy prior to ordering since "who knows" what someone may be sneaking into food(nuts in mashed potatoes is quite a surprise). Also, maybe you could get your local newspaper to do a feature story on food allergies and check with local restaurants about their posting requirements. This could help save someone's life. Maybe also you could encourage local restaurants to think of having a epipen on hand for emergencies. you could become a local crusader!!

Old 03-21-2008, 02:35 PM

870 posts, read 2,726,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
glad to hear that you are ok. No one in our family has a food allergy, so i cannot relate to the attack. However, I do think that you will have to mention your allergy prior to ordering since "who knows" what someone may be sneaking into food(nuts in mashed potatoes is quite a surprise). Also, maybe you could get your local newspaper to do a feature story on food allergies and check with local restaurants about their posting requirements. This could help save someone's life. Maybe also you could encourage local restaurants to think of having a epipen on hand for emergencies. you could become a local crusader!!
I think that is an excellent idea to call the local news! It absolutely could save someones life!! Nice that they refunded your $$, but would still work on that emergency room bill, as well!

Old 03-21-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlynn0217 View Post
I think that is an excellent idea to call the local news! It absolutely could save someones life!! Nice that they refunded your $$, but would still work on that emergency room bill, as well!

It's funny, because the woman I spoke to called me back and said - could we credit you the $60 instead of the full $72. I know it's not a big deal, but that annoyed me. I just went a little quiet and then suggested she go away and talk to the owner and then decide how she wants to handle it.

She said she would credit us the $72. Odd I think to annoy an already irritated customer over $12, but what can you do.

She says the nuts were not in the potatoe, but that they make their pesto with brazil nuts. hmmm.
I asked what the hard lumps were in the mashed potatoe which I removed from my mouth with my fingers, touched my eye and it blew up bright red.
She said they hand mash them and they must have been potatoe lumps.
I only actually had the potatoe - never got to chicken or pesto, but I guess it's possible that mere contact with the pesto could have caused it?

I'm not convinced, but who really knows - I'm just glad to have my meal paid for and someone who seemed sincere in their apology.

I'll definitely talk to them about their 'risky food' policy - it could cause them a lot of problems if they aren't careful.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:42 PM

218 posts, read 996,297 times
I have a friend who is severely allergic to mushrooms. She asks questions about every dish, is there a remote possibility that this could have musrooms? Once we were at a BBQ place and she got a side salad with her meal. I remember that she asked them especifically to make her salad fresh because if there was even a faint trace of mushrooms she could die right then and there. I aked her why she was so specific and she told me that sometimes when you tell them no mushrooms, the kitchen will just scrape the mushroms off not thinking how dangerous this could be for someone like her. Unfortunately she learned that lesson the hard way.

That restaurant does not deserve your future business. I am glad they are stepping up and reimbursing you.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:44 PM

1,917 posts, read 4,231,079 times
If I had a food allergy I would be very adament about telling any waiter or waitress and making sure that there were none of the foods in what I ordered.
If you did that....then the restaurant is at fault....if you didn't, you're at fault.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
If I had a food allergy I would be very adament about telling any waiter or waitress and making sure that there were none of the foods in what I ordered.
If you did that....then the restaurant is at fault....if you didn't, you're at fault.

You know, I hear you and will do that from now on. But we eat out probably 3 + times per week, and I have NEVER come across brazil nuts in savory food until now. It's not a common ingrediant like the above mentioned mushrooms or even peanuts. Brazil nuts aren't around that much, and when they are used it tends to be in deserts.
So I agree, I will now have to mention whenever we go somewhere that I have the brazil nut allergy and I do take a portion of responsibility.

If I didn't take any responsibility myself, I would have made a very much larger fuss about this situation than I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink