U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 04:09 PM

21,915 posts, read 20,958,665 times

Advertisements

You still should go and talk to the owner in person and explain how very serious the situation is! Nothing like talking to a "person" and not on a phone. When you talk in person they have a face and that means a lot!! I would explain that you are concerned if not only for yourself but other patrons and them too as they could face future problems regarding this. Most owners will respect the idea that you did take the time to talk to them---they don't want any future problems any more then you do as a rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 04:27 PM

1,917 posts, read 4,237,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
You know, I hear you and will do that from now on. But we eat out probably 3 + times per week, and I have NEVER come across brazil nuts in savory food until now. It's not a common ingrediant like the above mentioned mushrooms or even peanuts. Brazil nuts aren't around that much, and when they are used it tends to be in deserts.
So I agree, I will now have to mention whenever we go somewhere that I have the brazil nut allergy and I do take a portion of responsibility.

If I didn't take any responsibility myself, I would have made a very much larger fuss about this situation than I have.
Even though you wouldn't think a nut would be in mashed potatoes, they use these things (peanut oils...etc) in the same kitchen....you have to know that there will possibly be traces of these things in your foods...some with nut allergys can't even touch a nut without a severe reaction. I would be scared to eat out if I had a food allergy.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:09 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,602,703 times
Sue them!!!! I know it sounds greedy and mean and maybe a little over reactive...but I mean...they should've apologized and offered you compensation.
They didn't care what happened to you, it was careless of them.
they're going to have to learn the hard way eventually if not by you by some other person in the future that they should be more careful. They are not required to compensate you but it is still something they should care...especially if you're a returning customer.
IF you not going to sue them, which I was HALF joking, about...go on the internet and bash their restaurant. Negative feedback on the internet they have no power over will hurt their business, since they obviously don't care about their ingredients or their customers...let them pay.
Don't visit their restaurant again, and when you are casually talking to someone when the subject of a restaurant or what not comes up...say some bad things....
I would've been furious...and I will admit...I wouldn't sue them...I would make sure people hear of my awful experiences.
on the other hand, when you go out to eat...make sure you make it crystal clear that you are allergic to Brazil Nuts.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:38 PM

5,065 posts, read 13,316,587 times
That's horrible! What an odd thing to put in mashed potatoes. I'm allergic to soy and peanuts, and always tell people in restaurants. Although, I rarely eat out anyway because soy is so commonly found in foods, and servers and chefs still make mistakes knowing your allergies. Still, always better safe than sorry, just tell them up front next time. And I don't think you should have been responsible for the tab at all, since it wasn't eaten and you could have died. Nuts in potatoes are just silly, a lot of people are allergic to nuts. They should list the nuts on the menu.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:45 PM

5,973 posts, read 11,159,471 times
I'm glad you're ok. This is scary. I agree with going to speak with the owner. S/he needs to understand what did happen and what could have happened. This reaction is appalling.

We were in a restaurant last night. My husband bit into a piece of solid plastic in his salad. He told the waitress. She apologized profusely even when we said it clearly wasn't her fault. She got the manager and he was at our table within five minutes. In that time he'd already tracked down the plastic. It was from the cutting board used to chop the vegetables. He asked us several times if we were ok and offered dessert on him. He was sincere. When the bill came not only were our desserts taken off the bill, so was my husband's meal and our drinks. We were charged for my meal only.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:29 AM

21,915 posts, read 20,958,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I'm glad you're ok. This is scary. I agree with going to speak with the owner. S/he needs to understand what did happen and what could have happened. This reaction is appalling.

We were in a restaurant last night. My husband bit into a piece of solid plastic in his salad. He told the waitress. She apologized profusely even when we said it clearly wasn't her fault. She got the manager and he was at our table within five minutes. In that time he'd already tracked down the plastic. It was from the cutting board used to chop the vegetables. He asked us several times if we were ok and offered dessert on him. He was sincere. When the bill came not only were our desserts taken off the bill, so was my husband's meal and our drinks. We were charged for my meal only.
Now that's good business!!

Old 03-24-2008, 03:02 AM

1,528 posts, read 5,602,703 times
The person who gave me good rep who would give me bad rep if it was available...LOL...
it may be her fault for not inquiring but it is still bad for the restaurant to not care, it tells you something about the manager, if they SHOW don't care for more then their customer's money then why should you care if their business lives?
I would also be angered...and everyone here probably would be too.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:19 PM

431 posts, read 1,484,588 times
I think that the restaurant should take resposibility for what happened. it really dosen't take much to contaminate food these days and with so many people with food allergies I think all restaurants need a wake call.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:52 PM

470 posts, read 1,345,806 times
Legally, you are responsible for the bill.
I mean, it's nearly the same as ordering a drink and only drinking half, and saying "I want a half discount on this,". (Still food left).

However, Out of the goodness of the restaurant's heart, and out of concern, he should had let the bill go.
If it was me - I would have called up the next day to see how you were, and, I would have given you a raincheck.

But, eh. Not everyone is nice. ;/

Old 03-24-2008, 02:54 PM

5,402 posts, read 5,238,947 times
The restaurant is definitely responsible. My husband never would have paid the bill. I am allergic to peanuts and crab. My allergies are so bad that when we go into our local pub, my husband picks up the broom and sweeps away the peanuts that are on the floor. I have an epi pen in my pocketbook. I would write to the newspaper and let everyone know about this restaurant and I agree with the one poster have them pay the hospital bill. Nuts in the mashed potatoes, that is outrageous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink