Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 09:16 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,053 times

Advertisements

I've been Cook's Illustrated subscriber for many years and usee to really enjoy it. Even if I only cooked a few recipes, I still liked reading about all the experiments and science behind the recipes. Few years ago I took a break from subscription for various reasons. Cost was one, also their recipes gravitated towards "just add more sugar and fat" and it didn't fit our changing lifestyle. They had too many meat recipes as well.

This year I got a good price on subscription plus they were giving away a cutting board (which turned out tiny ), so I thought I'd give them another chance. Even though it's December, they sent me 2 old issues (really unnecessary but ok), I looked through them and just feel like I couldn't care less for any of the recipes.

It seems that there are fewer recipes than before. I found pages and pages of tips and "best supermarket cheese", "best skillet", etc. Thanksgiving issue is same boring stuff.

Are there any Cook's Illustrated fans here? Do you feel the same or is it just me? I know their editor left and am wondering if they just did not recover from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 10:16 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
Yes. I have been thinking the same thing. I subscribe to them online and follow on Facebook. I wish Christopher Kimball hadn’t left.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Yes. I have been thinking the same thing. I subscribe to them online and follow on Facebook. I wish Christopher Kimball hadn’t left.
I think it goes without saying, all magazines are going down hill. I can't believe how small my husbands Sport Ill is and a few of the cook magazine I get. It is the changing of the times and I don't like all the changes but I bet our parents said the same thing about all the changes when they watched what was happening

Old 12-21-2017, 07:58 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
It seems that there are fewer recipes than before. I found pages and pages of tips and "best supermarket cheese", "best skillet", etc. Thanksgiving issue is same boring stuff.

Are there any Cook's Illustrated fans here? Do you feel the same or is it just me? I know their editor left and am wondering if they just did not recover from that.

I quit buying MOST magazines and newspapers that use the "best of ____" articles to sell subscriptions.

MOST publications have sacked most of their experienced writers and are now hiring freelancers and bloggers to take their place. Many of them are honestly unqualified and being published feeds their massive egos.

I would like to give a couple of good examples BUT I am sure that they would be deleted by the moderators.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:01 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
I love CI’s equipment reviews and taste tests, they rarely have steered me wrong but several months ago they did a review on Instant Pots and it was clear they hadn’t even read the directions. They were pretty sneeringly dismissive of them and the readers really let them have it. The comments on Facebook were harsh.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:35 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I had a subscription recently, and I still always found a new tip in them that I would never have thought of otherwise. One that I remember is to use a lemon squeezer to crush a few walnuts.
Anyway, I totally agree that magazines in general have become rather repetitive and mostly ads, but if I subscribed to any, that would still be in contention. Cooks Illustrated may have gone from an A to a B, but most of the others have gone from A to D.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:12 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
I have subscriptions to about 10 mainstream magazines, all free. I think they give them away free to boost their numbers, so they can charge more for ads. No way I would ever pay for one. They are all getting smaller.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:18 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
My sister got me a subscription for the online version. I renewed it because they gave me a special deal and then last year they renewed it at full price - $39.95! They had my CC so they automatically billed it. I really need to cancel before they do it again - I'm a pretty experienced cook and I can't see paying that much for information you can usually find via an internet search. I don't know why they think so highly of themselves. Thanks for the reminder - I'm going to make a note to cancel them tomorrow.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:14 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,053 times
It's true, the magazines are not doing as well as they used to overall. But Cook's Illustrated was always ad free and the recipes are basically all they have. That's why I was surprised to find so little content in the recent issues.

And what bugs me about their "best supermarket something" reviews is - where do they even find those brands? Just looked again at their "best turkey" (not that I care, really) and I've never even heard of all of their winners. What's the value of such reviews?

Old 12-21-2017, 09:22 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
I miss Chris. Terribly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink