Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 10:00 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,251,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxTerra View Post
So, I was under the weather and am now finally running at 100%, however at this point, since I do it all by myself, I'm just not in the mood to do my usual Christmas dinner spread from scratch that I do every year.

I'm thinking of just buying several rotisserie chickens, breaking them down, slathering with bottled BBQ sauce. Also doing crockpot pulled pork sliders, baked mac and cheese, cornbread casserole, green beans, mashed potatoes, and cherry cobbler for dessert. Not at all "traditional", but my husband and in-laws sound excited by the menu. Thankfully, they're always up for anything and not "uppity" about what should be served. - UNlike my side of the family, sigh. My mom has a fit if turkey *and* ham are not served at holidays. Can you guess why I usually spend the Holidays with my husband's family

I just feel like I'm somehow being lazy for not cooking the chickens myself, and the other dishes are all just pretty much "dump in a baking dish and cook".. I usually spend two days cooking everything, (usually prime rib, tri tip, glazed ham, duck, and a bunch of fancy sides and desserts. I even make all of the sauces and dressings from scratch.) And I love doing it! But this year, ugh. Just not up to it.

If anyone has any other tips for making something wonderful out of rotisserie chickens, or any other advice, I'm all ears!
If you’re feeling like a slacker for buying pre cooked chicken, that’s on you. Get over yourself because you are doing more than enough. Besides, I’d love to eat at your house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 10:05 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,856,088 times
Rotisserie chickens are roasted chickens. They just aren't roasted in your oven. Many people are happy with cured hams that have been prepared somewhere else, so what would be the problem with a wholesome roasted chicken?

Old 12-25-2017, 08:05 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,356,330 times
Got the Costco chicken yesterday - it was not as horrible as I thought it would be to get in and get out. I also picked up some macarons and mini cheesecake squares at Costco. Dessert is gonna be awesome

Old 12-25-2017, 09:37 AM

723 posts, read 570,022 times
For the first time this year, I splurged and bought smoked turkey and four sides from the local BBQ place for Thanksgiving. I have always been reluctant to spend money for things I know full well I can do myself for a fraction of the cost.

Thanksgiving was so well received, last week I spent WAY too much on a spiral cut ham and will throw a couple of baked sides into the oven an hour before we all sit down to eat today.

I used to do everything from scratch and then spend half the night washing greasy pots and pans all by myself. I am so done with that.

And besides, City Barbeque and The HoneyBaked Ham Store are far better cooks than I. I would suspect my family actually appreciated the change, and I got to enjoy my holidays and my guests.

Bravo to you for those rotisserie chickens! We love them at our house.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:50 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,716,763 times
I've been breaking tradition for years. Most of my family are gone and my immediate ones are gone for the holiday on a sun/fun vacation.

I'm thinking of putting a Paul Newman pizza in the oven a little later.

A neighbor is bringing me leftovers from her sister's spread today.

I'm thankful to have good food no matter what kind.

We all eat too much anyway.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:47 PM

So my father spent a chunk of the evening telling me how wonderful the costco rotisserie chicken was. He's not typically someone who gets excited about food. I think it was a good choice. Gonna start bringing him home for dinner more regularly.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:51 PM

155 posts, read 132,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
So my father spent a chunk of the evening telling me how wonderful the costco rotisserie chicken was. He's not typically someone who gets excited about food. I think it was a good choice. Gonna start bringing him home for dinner more regularly.
They don't sell 60 million of them every year because people DON'T like them !

Rare is the trip to Costco that I do not buy one. 2-3 days later you can make a batch of chicken enchiladas or any number of other dishes.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:18 AM

22,652 posts, read 24,563,352 times
I like cooking my own chicken, less salt and no unknown other ingredients.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:50 PM

48,510 posts, read 34,783,425 times
Costoc chicken is the crack of the poultry world. I KNOW it can't be good for me and taste that good, but if it is wrong, I dun wanna be right.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-28-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Costoc chicken is the crack of the poultry world. I KNOW it can't be good for me and taste that good, but if it is wrong, I dun wanna be right.
Dr. Oz (yeah, worst source EVER) says they're not that bad for you, especially if you don't eat the skin. I never did, so I feel virtuous when I get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink