U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 04:47 PM

17,599 posts, read 21,783,211 times

Advertisements

I love cream of wheat. I can't say that I have it very often, but when I do, I enjoy it.

I'm perplexed by the many comparisons between cream of wheat and grits. To me, they are totally different foods! I've enjoyed them both all of my life, but they have different textures and tastes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 04:57 PM

41,046 posts, read 32,742,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I guess I just don't see the logic behind it. Grits are just another meal product like wheat, oats and rice, which are all used in both sweet and savory dishes. That's why grains are such a staple around the world; for their versatility.

If it just comes down to personal preference then that's understandable, but that grits SHOULD NOT have milk or sugar in them just sounds like one of those southern precepts that gets passed around without basis to it.
Call it whatever you want to call it. Grits are not as smooth as cream of wheat. To me, cream of wheat tastes much better with sugar and butter in it than grits, and grits taste much better with salt and butter in them than cream of wheat. I mean, I have my reasons for thinking that and they really have nothing to do with any sort of "southern precepts."

They aren't the same thing and not made from the same grain and that's why I think one tastes better with salt and butter, and one tastes better with sugar and butter.

Throw in some red eye gravy with those grits and I'm in heaven! LOL

Old 12-31-2017, 06:02 PM

4,115 posts, read 3,397,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I have never liked “Cream of Wheat”. As a Southerner, I much prefer grits.
Back in the day my mom alternated between Cream of Wheat (OMG, I can't imagine anyone not liking Cream of Wheat) and Quaker's Old Fashioned Oatmeal! LOVE THEM BOTH! Especially in the cold winter months!

I admit to also enjoying grits but during my youth they were not available in the north so my mother made Cream of Wheat, an acceptable substitute. Nowadays I think grits are a grocery staple everywhere.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:09 PM

4,115 posts, read 3,397,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I love cream of wheat. I can't say that I have it very often, but when I do, I enjoy it.

I'm perplexed by the many comparisons between cream of wheat and grits. To me, they are totally different foods! I've enjoyed them both all of my life, but they have different textures and tastes.
Definitely different and I think it may be because...(I thought I knew the answer but the official explanation is far better than anything I could have formulated).

Cream of Wheat is a brand of farina, a type of breakfast porridge mix made from wheat semolina. It looks similar to grits, but is smoother in texture since it is made with ground wheat kernels instead of ground corn. It is also referred to as "hot cereal".

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_of_Wheat

Old 12-31-2017, 06:36 PM

24 posts, read 8,622 times
Love it...especially the cinnamon and maple/brown sugar.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:58 PM

925 posts, read 463,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
That there is a pantry infestation problem, not a cream of wheat problem. Can happen with most any grain product, including pasta. The pests don't discriminate between expired or fresh - they will choose whichever has the easiest access.
We keep it in the freezer. No bugs yet.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:28 PM

894 posts, read 475,673 times
Love it, always have. Get some brown sugar and milk in it.....amazing. That said, I don't buy it or ever have it.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:31 PM

2,582 posts, read 3,146,673 times
I make Cream of Wheat for my father every morning. His nutritionist is a big fan, as it has a lot of nutrition and iron. My Dad is on a low fiber, high protein, high calorie diet for health reasons.

But I supplement it A LOT to make it more tasty, and nutritious.

I get the Maple flavored cream of wheat. I use whole milk to dissolve it, and add an additional 2-4 tablespoons of powdered skim milk to it for the additional protein/nutrition. Dissolves easily by mixing well and using the microwave. Then I add butter and homemade apple sauce/compote (baked apples+cinnamon+brown sugar+butter) and some additional cinnamon.

It is quite delicious. Like a liquid pancake.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:40 PM

13,526 posts, read 29,479,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I LOVE Cream of Wheat!! I especially love the Cinnabon flavor, but can't find it anywhere anymore.

I make the plain kind with a bit of half & half and raw sugar. SO good.
Use some of this in place of the half and half and sugar...
https://www.internationaldelight.com/products/cinnabon®

I use it all of the time in oatmeal.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:22 PM

1,312 posts, read 837,289 times
I like cream of rice better!!

Remember my mom making this for us kids when we were younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink