U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 07:51 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times

Advertisements

I loved Cream of Wheat when I was a kid. I couldn't get enough of it. I tried it again as an adult, and it just seemed so bland and not at all what I remembered. Maybe my mom had some way of doctoring it up so it tasted better than what I tried as an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 08:10 PM

1,024 posts, read 435,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I have never liked “Cream of Wheat”. As a Southerner, I much prefer grits.
A vote for Cream of Wheat here.

Even better: Cream of Barley, Cream of Buckwheat, and corn grits (polenta).

Old 01-02-2018, 08:15 PM

925 posts, read 462,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
So what about instant Cream of Wheat, is it like grits and awful compared to the longer cooking type?
IMO the instant is not nearly as good. Use the microwave directions and it cooks pretty quickly. Just make sure you use a deep enough bowl or else!

Old 01-02-2018, 10:10 PM

615 posts, read 406,420 times
Quote:
And I thought "cream of wheat" was grits. Silly me! I do like cream of wheat very much.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:31 PM

9,274 posts, read 5,784,185 times
Quote:
I like Cream of Rice the best.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:03 AM

5,165 posts, read 2,391,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
I used to like it a lot. I haven't had it in years.

And what happened to cornmeal mush? Now people only seem to eat grits and not mush.

My aunt made cornmeal mush...it was the stuff of nightmares...big, lumpy, sticky, gritty, over-salty, big ol’ globs of cornmeal that choked me & my parents forced me to eat! The Horror!

Grits are a different story...smooth, creamy, silky, savory...yum.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:20 AM

11,312 posts, read 5,839,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
My aunt made cornmeal mush...it was the stuff of nightmares...big, lumpy, sticky, gritty, over-salty, big ol’ globs of cornmeal that choked me & my parents forced me to eat! The Horror!

Grits are a different story...smooth, creamy, silky, savory...yum.
I make cornmeal mush occasionally. I grew up with it. If you prepare it properly, it doesn't have lumps. You have to mix the cornmeal with cold water and slowly pour it into the boiling water stirring constantly.

I put maple syrup in mine and float melted butter and half & half on top. I like it.

Even better, I pour the leftovers in a greased Pyrex baking dish and refrigerate it. The next morning, I cut it in strips and pan fry it in butter until it's crispy. That with butter & maple syrup is awesome. Yeah, it's polenta and not exactly a news flash.

I don't think I've had cream of wheat since I was a kid. I always have a canister of Quaker cornmeal kicking around so that or oatmeal are what I make in that category. I'm not going to rush out and buy cream of wheat in the grocery store but I'd eat it if someone put it in front of me.

I like grits but in the great white north, I don't encounter them very often.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:54 AM

710 posts, read 396,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I doubt you'll get many positives.
Big + for me... I love the stuff!

Old 01-03-2018, 10:13 AM

7,839 posts, read 10,147,526 times
My mother made Palenta w/ Cornmeal. I wouldn't go near the stuff. But, later on, when I went to Brazil, they ate it fairly regularly there and it looked pretty good.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:14 AM

7,839 posts, read 10,147,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I loved Cream of Wheat when I was a kid. I couldn't get enough of it. I tried it again as an adult, and it just seemed so bland and not at all what I remembered. Maybe my mom had some way of doctoring it up so it tasted better than what I tried as an adult.
You have to add a good amt. of sugar to it or better yet, some Real maple syrup and milk. I use Soy milk cuz I like the nutty taste of it. And, fruit is good in it, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink