U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:43 AM

8,857 posts, read 6,098,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercoyote View Post
I love it! I eat it with milk and raisins. A weird combo, but I love it.
Sounds great to me! Hot breakfast cereal? What's not to like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:45 AM

3,992 posts, read 1,509,132 times
I love CoW, but it has to be lumpy and, of course, with butter and sugar with milk. What I prefer, though, is Wheatina, made the same way. It’s hard to find nowadays.

Old Today, 11:46 AM

8,857 posts, read 6,098,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Don't put ketchup on your scrambled eggs in the South, the waitress will have apoplexy.
I can't get over them asking me if I WANT ketchup on my egg sandwich!! That was in Jersey and I grew up in the south. No ma'am. Ketchup don't cut the mustard!

Old Today, 11:50 AM

11,737 posts, read 6,230,186 times
Cream of Wheat? NO NO NO NO NO. Okay the best grits I ever had in my life were in the Caribbean. We went scuba diving New Years Day in 2001 after partying a tad too much. I had fish and grits for breakfast. The sea was rough. Up and down, up and down. I was sick by the time I got 40 feet under. What happened next is just too gross to talk about but it put me in bed for the rest of the day. I never ate grits again either. NEVER!

Old Today, 11:55 AM

4,071 posts, read 2,383,502 times
I don't like hot cereal of any type. Oatmeal, grits, Cream of Wheat, all just a big NO. But my parents did eat hot cereal, and I recall them talking about how they didn't care much for Cream of Wheat, but preferred a hard-to-find brand called Wheat Hearts. No idea if that is still available.

ETA: I googled it, and it looks like Wheat Hearts are gone. No loss as far as I am concerned, but there are a lot of comments from people who wish it would come back.

Old Today, 11:56 AM

3,375 posts, read 8,609,969 times
Yuck, grits are much better. Now, Maypo, that's another story.

Old Today, 12:03 PM

3,174 posts, read 1,722,874 times
I love Cream of Wheat. Grew up eating it as well as oatmeal and Malto-Meal. I eat oatmeal regularly but can't think of the last time I ever bought CoW or Malto-Meal though. Not sure why, I guess I never think about it. I buy oatmeal because I use it for so many other things like cookies, meatloaf filler, ingredient for apple, blueberry and peach crisp toppings, oat bread, ground oatmeal as a replacement for flour in some baked goods, etc.

I have had grits maybe a few times in my life and I liked them. They reminded me a lot of CoW.

Old Today, 12:12 PM

2,787 posts, read 1,135,242 times
My Mom made awesome oatmeal when I was a kid in the 50s, but when she made Cream of Wheat, my Dad was the only one who enjoyed it. The rest of us ate it strictly under duress. We used to call it "Cream of Wallpaper Paste."

Old Today, 12:13 PM

29,125 posts, read 35,087,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
My Mom made awesome oatmeal when I was a kid in the 50s, but when she made Cream of Wheat, my Dad was the only one who enjoyed it. The rest of us ate it strictly under duress. We used to call it "Cream of Wallpaper Paste."
Yep, exactly what I was talking about.

Old Today, 12:17 PM

292 posts, read 115,111 times
I like farina and grits. What is the big deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink