U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 09:53 PM

20,507 posts, read 25,705,659 times

Advertisements

I preferred Cream of Wheat or Cream of Rice to oatmeal. I added Nestle Quick to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 10:28 PM

19,005 posts, read 10,047,592 times
I love Cream of Wheat! With milk, a little brown sugar and a LOT of cinnamon. Yum!

Old 12-31-2017, 01:18 AM

912 posts, read 814,883 times
In Russia, all kids were fed cream of wheat, still are, I think. I like it, although it doesn't really have much nutritional value, so we usually eat oatmeal instead these days. I hated oatmeal as a kid.

Russan version called "manka" (MAHn-ka) is a bit tastier though than US cream of wheat. It can be found in any Russian store in the US or ordered online.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:53 AM

459 posts, read 520,531 times
I'm a southerner, like grits, and I like Cream of Wheat for something different--oatmeal, too. Those are best with lots of add-ins, butter, sugar, cinnamon, nuts, etc. I don't do cold cereal except in the hottest summer months, but will keep some on hand for visitors.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:50 AM

925 posts, read 462,445 times
Thumbs up This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
our family standard was oatmeal. I eat Cream of Wheat when I've had a stomach upset. It's good for that, but not at all exciting.

Definitely works for an upset stomach which is when I usually eat it now a days. Eat oatmeal more regularly as it has more nutrition. In my freezer right now is a box of whole grain CoW. It includes some of the bran. Thought I'd try it. It's OK but I like the regular better. It's butter and some honey for me. Made with milk and water mixed.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:20 AM

40,959 posts, read 32,676,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
I love cream of wheat. I prefer it made with milk vs water. I'll eat it plain, but usually put in a little bit of brown sugar. It's totally delicious on a cold winters morning, but I've been known to eat it year round.

As a born southerner, I also love grits, which can ONLY have salt and butter and must be made with water. No cheese, no shrimp, no ham, no other weird new additions I've seen put in them.
LOL I'm a born southerner too and we always added savory stuff to grits IF they were being eaten for brunch or dinner, but nothing but butter and salt and maybe a bit of pepper if they were eaten for breakfast. But never sugar. And never made with milk.

http://www.ebony.com/life/soul-food-grits#axzz52qgrVAOJ

https://www.southernliving.com/grain...of-grits-video

I have never, never cared much for oatmeal, but I do eat it occasionally when it's really cold. I prefer Cream of Wheat (sweet) or grits (savory) though, but I do know that oatmeal has more nutritional value. However, I think the main nutritional value in CoW is probably when it's made with milk.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 12-31-2017 at 07:31 AM..

Old 12-31-2017, 08:35 AM

13,498 posts, read 29,444,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I have never liked “Cream of Wheat”. As a Southerner, I much prefer grits.
Do stores down here even sell Cream of Wheat? I can't say Ive ever even paid it any attention, since I don't know anyone who eats it. I grew up eating grits, when my grandmother used to make them for me I would always crumple up my bacon and mix it in.

I like oatmeal too, but I do stir in a little French vanilla Coffeemate to give it some flavor.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:39 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,243,193 times
Default Same old, Same Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I have never liked “Cream of Wheat”. As a Southerner, I much prefer grits.
Eat oatmeal for 30 years and cream of wheat is my pick.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:36 AM

4,445 posts, read 5,171,064 times
COW is prepared as a savory dish in other contries:

Upma Sooji (Cream of Wheat) - Manjula's Kitchen - Indian Vegetarian Recipes

It is served as a side dish and not limited to breakfast.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:37 AM

40,959 posts, read 32,676,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Do stores down here even sell Cream of Wheat? I can't say Ive ever even paid it any attention, since I don't know anyone who eats it. I grew up eating grits, when my grandmother used to make them for me I would always crumple up my bacon and mix it in.

I like oatmeal too, but I do stir in a little French vanilla Coffeemate to give it some flavor.
I spent ten years of my childhood in Georgia and we never had any problem finding Cream of Wheat in stores. I liked it much better than oatmeal, and it's especially good early on a frosty mornin', but my "go to" breakfast cereal was usually grits.

My mom's dad's side of the family was from the Midwest so maybe that's where we picked up Cream of Wheat - I'm nearly positive it came down to us via her family since I never saw anyone on my dad's side of the family (ArkLaTex folks from New Orleans through East Texas and on up to Little Rock) ever eat it. I'm not even sure they knew what it was - LOL. They weren't even all that familiar with oatmeal since grits were the cereal of choice.

Cheese grits were special. So were grits served with ham and red eye gravy - YUM!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink