U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 09:42 AM

32,111 posts, read 39,170,046 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised that the package graphics haven't been changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 09:48 AM

9,103 posts, read 3,923,269 times
I like Cream of Wheat although living in a warm climate I rarely eat it anymore. It seems to me to be one of those cold weather breakfast foods. I also love grits.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:12 AM

5,286 posts, read 3,807,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I like it.

As a non-southerner, I never tasted grits until well into adulthood. But in my experience, grits are eaten salty, and cream of wheat is eaten sweet, so there's no real comparison.
Grits have always been such a versatile staple food for me that I'll never understand those who insist it can only be eaten with savory ingredients. I've had them a million different ways and they go just as well with milk and sugar as they do with bacon grease and eggs.

I've only had sweet cream of wheat, but I can't imagine it would taste bad any other way. Same with oatmeal.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:15 AM

27,487 posts, read 17,629,902 times
Love cream of wheat, I will make with almond milk or water, add a sugar free flavored syrup (usually vanilla) and put a splash of milk on top.

I had made a huge batch of breakfast grits, and DH woofed those down right quick....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 12-31-2017, 10:15 AM

40,904 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Grits have always been such a versatile staple food for me that I'll never understand those who insist it can only be eaten with savory ingredients. I've had them a million different ways and they go just as well with milk and sugar as they do with bacon grease and eggs.

I've only had sweet cream of wheat, but I can't imagine it would taste bad any other way. Same with oatmeal.
LOL I've never understood those who insist that grits should be eaten with milk and sugar. That's what Cream of Wheat is for.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:18 AM

27,248 posts, read 15,033,121 times
I remember eating Cream of Wheat when I was little and my parents made it. It was very sweet and I loved it. Haven't thought about it in years though.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL I've never understood those who insist that grits should be eaten with milk and sugar. That's what Cream of Wheat is for.
Well, then no need to buy cream of wheat if you've already got grits on hand.

Seriously, if I'm eating it, the only thing I'll insist on is that they be cooked in some kind of fat. Watery grits are no good.

But I have to admit that I am put off by Southerners that are quick to turn their noses up at an alternative way of preparing popular foods i.e. cornbread made with sugar. It's silly.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Well, then no need to buy cream of wheat if you've already got grits on hand.

Seriously, if I'm eating it, the only thing I'll insist on is that they be cooked in some kind of fat. Watery grits are no good.

But I have to admit that I am put off by Southerners that are quick to turn their noses up at an alternative way of preparing popular foods i.e. cornbread made with sugar. It's silly.
Oh, I make cornbread sometimes with sugar and sometimes without - usually with a pinch of it anyway. But always in a hot skillet with bacon grease already heated up in it!

I mean, some things just shouldn't be messed with.

And I always have CofW on hand because I like it with sugar and butter, but I don't like grits with sugar and butter. I like to have some variety in my life but there's no need to mess with perfection.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:58 AM

That's it - that's what I'm having for lunch. Cream of Wheat. It's freaking cold and wet and gray outside so that's perfect weather for it!

Old 12-31-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I mean, some things just shouldn't be messed with.

And I always have CofW on hand because I like it with sugar and butter, but I don't like grits with sugar and butter. I like to have some variety in my life but there's no need to mess with perfection.
I guess I just don't see the logic behind it. Grits are just another meal product like wheat, oats and rice, which are all used in both sweet and savory dishes. That's why grains are such a staple around the world; for their versatility.

If it just comes down to personal preference then that's understandable, but that grits SHOULD NOT have milk or sugar in them just sounds like one of those southern precepts that gets passed around without basis to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink