Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 11:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,249,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
What about whirling it away in a blender into powder? I imagine that would work too?
A stone mortar/pestle works better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 07:52 AM

4,325 posts, read 4,266,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
What about whirling it away in a blender into powder? I imagine that would work too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I use a mezzaluna. Just pluck some tender tips from my rosemary and chop away.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:28 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,170,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I make a Rosemary Salt meat rub that is awesome on grilled chicken, steak, or lamb.

It's just fresh Rosemary from my garden, dehydrated an hour in the dehydrator or overnight on the kitchen table, then ground by hand with kosher salt in my mortar and pestle. A lot more herb than salt. It ends up with little pieces of varying sizes of the rosemary, and the salt is all green and infused with flavor. It's kind of a labor of love, but it's also kind of relaxing in a zen way.
Really like this idea. I'm going to buy a M&P just to try it (I know, I know, how have I lived so long with a M&P).

Thanks for sharing! HNY!

Old 01-01-2018, 10:46 AM

20,810 posts, read 28,127,344 times
I have used fresh rosemary (hence the reason I don't like those needles) and I do have a mortar and pestle. After I used the rosemary Olive oil I saw in my cupboard a brand new ground rosemary never opened.. Duh! Oh well we enjoyed the oil infused with rosemary too.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:04 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,169,523 times
If I want to infuse a dish with fresh rosemary, I just drop a sprig in while cooking and fish it out before serving.

If you are paranoid about a needle or two falling off, you can tie a piece of butcher string around it or even wrap it in cheesecloth first. I also bundle the rosemary sprig with some thyme sprigs, sage leaves, etc.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:31 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,376,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Really like this idea. I'm going to buy a M&P just to try it (I know, I know, how have I lived so long with a M&P).

Thanks for sharing! HNY!
Cool! You want a bigger one, those little ones are better off as decoration. Mine looks like this, but I found it for $12 at Tuesday Morning.

https://www.amazon.com/Anzone-Granit...-3-spons&psc=1

I also use it regularly to crush peppercorns for recipes tons faster than I can grind 'em with the pepper mill. Hint when grinding anything: salt is a corrosive, so it helps! (I like kosher salt)

Last edited by Debsi; 01-01-2018 at 02:18 PM..

Old 01-01-2018, 01:45 PM

48,261 posts, read 34,376,230 times
I use fresh and pull them out, BUT if it is simmered a long time the needles can fall off. In that case I use little fabric herb bags that allows them to infuse the food, but I just pull out the bag and through it away.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-01-2018, 02:04 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,170,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Cool! You want a bigger one, those little ones are better off as decoration. Mine looks like this, but I found it for $12 at Tuesday Morning.

https://www.amazon.com/Anzone-Granit...-3-spons&psc=1

I also use it regularly to crush peppercorns for recipes tons faster than I can grind ‘em with the pepper mill.
Thanks, just ordered one.

PS: Can't edit my original, but should say "how have I lived so long without one"

Old 01-01-2018, 06:35 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,349,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

We have a mortar and pestle at home but not in the rental we were in for the holidays. I wanted to put some dried rosemary in something, and discovered that if you put a small pile of it on a cutting board (like 1-2 tsp), then lay a single sheet of paper towel on top, you can chop it through the paper towel and little shards will NOT fly all over the place. Lift the paper towel and tap off the small bits that might be adhering to it, and you have finely chopped dried rosemary.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:13 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,861,965 times
Yes, crushed or ground rosemary for most recipes. Though I use fresh when marinating lamb racks, remove them before grilling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink