U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 03:49 PM

20,061 posts, read 27,908,936 times

Advertisements

A microplane is the best option in my opinion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 03:53 PM

18,673 posts, read 9,732,671 times
My knife skills are lacking as well so I've settled for using a press. I like this one because you don't even have to peel the cloves. I just pull out the skins with the tip of a knife and the press goes in the dishwasher.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have one of those blue disk things that someone posted upthread. I think my hands are not the right size or shape or something, because it leaves me in pain every time I use it - I have some mild arthritis in my hands, but it normally doesn't bother me at all.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:08 PM

2,808 posts, read 4,259,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
A microplane is the best option in my opinion.
I agree! I used to use a knife or garlic press, then I realized it was just easier to use a microplane. There are different sizes available, depending on how finely minced you need the garlic.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:12 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,368,722 times
A small stone mortar and pestle, which has been in Family for over 3 generations ... for spices, and a large very shallow one to make sauces.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:17 PM

155 posts, read 57,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Using the flat side of a knife, smash the peeled garlic onto a cutting board until the skin is off. Then using the knife blade nearest to your hand, proceed to chop chop chop until finely minced...turn the knife several different ways when chopping, so all parts of garlic are minced.
I have done it this way and also using my garlic press tool ( it basically smashes forces the garlic glove thru a series of holes that separates the garlic from the shell part )

The diced up way with the knife on a cutting board does not smash the garlic to release the paste / smell.
You are simply slicing the clove into fine small pieces ( no mashing or squeezing involved )

the garlic press absolutely smashes the garlic clove and releases a bunch of garlic smell.

I have always wandered how the 2 variations effect its cooking principles ??

Old 01-02-2018, 04:32 PM

16,841 posts, read 19,444,120 times
I use a mini food chopper

Old 01-02-2018, 04:34 PM

12,988 posts, read 6,868,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Not at all! LOL

I would use the paste that comes in a refrigerated tube, but it's so expensive!
Another option is available at many stores, especially Asian/Indian - jars of garlic paste (not chopped). Much easier to use in those recipes where I might be using a tablespoon or more and it is always a very smooth consistency. They have the same kind of paste for ginger.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:35 PM

4,080 posts, read 3,329,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Using the flat side of a knife, smash the peeled garlic onto a cutting board until the skin is off. Then using the knife blade nearest to your hand, proceed to chop chop chop until finely minced...turn the knife several different ways when chopping, so all parts of garlic are minced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
we just use a mini food chopper.
Yep and yep.

If I only need a small amount of minced garlic I will do it by hand, larger needs I accomplish with the mini (1 1/2 cup size) food chopper.

ETA I bet the microplane is a GREAT option as well, I just don't have one. Hmmm, might have to look into getting one.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:52 PM

9,616 posts, read 5,147,413 times
I buy it in a jar for 79 cents at the commissary. For what I need it for, the jarred minced/finely chopped garlic is more than adequate and quite flavorful.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:32 PM

20,210 posts, read 37,550,278 times
We get minced garlic in small jars at most any supermarket. IIRC it can also be bought ground and/or chopped.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink