Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 01:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbadabbadoo View Post
I have 6 heads of Romaine in the frig, just bought yesterday. What to do?
just look at when this supposedly happened? That should tell you something.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:58 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
I perform an exorcism on all fruits and vegetable I buy and that eliminates the pathogens. It must work, as I never get sick.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:23 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbadabbadoo View Post
I have 6 heads of Romaine in the frig, just bought yesterday. What to do?
Six??

If this is for real, just wash them well and don't worry about it.

Old 01-05-2018, 04:42 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
just look at when this supposedly happened? That should tell you something.

Well, the CDC just released another warning today. Their dates (lots?) run from Nov 15 to Dec 8, and involve 12 states in addition to NY.

It's not exactly a rare occurrence.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:07 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Funny story about this. Like TerraDown said, it was several weeks ago that it was first reported. My aunt (who eats 40 tons of romaine per week [only slight exaggeration]) called me to tell me about it. I happened to be going grocery shopping that day and, although I rarely buy romaine (I'm a spinach girl), I did notice when the woman behind me at the checkout put a bag of it on the conveyor belt with her other stuff. I told her about the e.coli report -- someone had died in our city (Ottawa). She said "oh, really?," hesitated a moment, and then continued loading her groceries onto the belt. She clearly didn't care, which is amazing to me. I mean, she might not have gotten sick from it, but if it's all over the news that someone died -- and they thought the root cause was romaine lettuce -- wouldn't you abstain? People are interesting...
What did you expect her to do, throw it to the ground? Scream and run from the store? I would still buy it. 17 people in 13 states got sick. It doesn’t sound like that bad of a problem considering there are more than 1or 2 people in each of those states eating romaine lettuce. Maybe if I had a compromised immune system, I’d be a little more careful. But since I don’t, I would be fine with just doing an extra rinse before eating the lettuce.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:15 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What did you expect her to do, throw it to the ground? Scream and run from the store? I would still buy it. 17 people in 13 states got sick. It doesn’t sound like that bad of a problem considering there are more than 1or 2 people in each of those states eating romaine lettuce. Maybe if I had a compromised immune system, I’d be a little more careful. But since I don’t, I would be fine with just doing an extra rinse before eating the lettuce.
Come on; don't be silly with the "throw, scream and run" nonsense. I expected her to not buy it because there was a death from it in our city.

You're quoting numbers of people and states (and this is in Canada, by the way) from WAY AFTER the fact. This was DAY ONE, the day that many sicknesses and a death had been reported in our city.

Go on and eat all the romaine that you want.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:36 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Come on; don't be silly with the "throw, scream and run" nonsense. I expected her to not buy it because there was a death from it in our city.
Do you also expect people not to drive after a deadly car accident in your city? While it’s tragic that someone died, the fact remains that only one person died out of the thousands of people who probably eat romaine lettuce each and every day.

Quote:
You're quoting numbers of people and states (and this is in Canada, by the way) from WAY AFTER the fact. This was DAY ONE, the day that many sicknesses and a death had been reported in our city.

Go on and eat all the romaine that you want.
I live in the United States, so I was using the numbers from here. I don’t live in Canada. I would be even less concerned because a person died eating lettuce in another country, so yeah, I would continue eating all the romaine lettuce I want. I would also not be as concerned right then and there if some woman at the grocery store said that she had heard on the news that... Was it even confirmed yet that it was the romaine lettuce? If so, then the stores would have pulled the recalled produce from the shelves already.They're not going to knowingly sell questionable produce. At least not the stores I shop at.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:40 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,351 times
An acquaintance of mine pointed out to me that E. coli is a very real problem due to the fact that lettuce farmers don't give their field workers bathroom breaks. As I ate sub-par Cobb Salad, mind you.
Perhaps she IS onto something.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:57 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
An acquaintance of mine pointed out to me that E. coli is a very real problem due to the fact that lettuce farmers don't give their field workers bathroom breaks. As I ate sub-par Cobb Salad, mind you.
Perhaps she IS onto something.
Okay, that does it. I'll see if I still have any leftover romaine seeds stored in the fridge. Might be a good time to plant some and raise it indoors.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:59 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Do you also expect people not to drive after a deadly car accident in your city? While it’s tragic that someone died, the fact remains that only one person died out of the thousands of people who probably eat romaine lettuce each and every day.

I live in the United States, so I was using the numbers from here. I don’t live in Canada. I would be even less concerned because a person died eating lettuce in another country, so yeah, I would continue eating all the romaine lettuce I want. I would also not be as concerned right then and there if some woman at the grocery store said that she had heard on the news that... Was it even confirmed yet that it was the romaine lettuce? If so, then the stores would have pulled the recalled produce from the shelves already.They're not going to knowingly sell questionable produce. At least not the stores I shop at.
More silliness. Listen, I don't know what your beef is with me on this. It was DAY ONE of the announcement. It had just hit the news. I was giving her information that she didn't have. Enough of your anger at this and at me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink