Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 01:42 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times

Advertisements

Apparently they are investigating an E. coli contamination that is linked to romaine lettuce consumption and affects multiple states.

Stay safe folks - go with other greens until the investigation has concluded.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:43 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Apparently they are investigating an E. coli contamination that is linked to romaine lettuce consumption and affects multiple states.

Stay safe folks - go with other greens until the investigation has concluded.
Thanks for that. I will check my area. Hmm...may need to start growing my greens. They are easy to grow

Old 01-05-2018, 06:46 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Problem with the report DontH8Me, is that it is over 2 weeks ago when last case was reported. So the 'bad' romaine is completely off the shelves. FDA isn't even sure it was the romaine, just 'think' it was. ie: Test results not back yet.

In essence, if you didn't get sick two weeks ago, you most likely won't.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:13 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Funny story about this. Like TerraDown said, it was several weeks ago that it was first reported. My aunt (who eats 40 tons of romaine per week [only slight exaggeration]) called me to tell me about it. I happened to be going grocery shopping that day and, although I rarely buy romaine (I'm a spinach girl), I did notice when the woman behind me at the checkout put a bag of it on the conveyor belt with her other stuff. I told her about the e.coli report -- someone had died in our city (Ottawa). She said "oh, really?," hesitated a moment, and then continued loading her groceries onto the belt. She clearly didn't care, which is amazing to me. I mean, she might not have gotten sick from it, but if it's all over the news that someone died -- and they thought the root cause was romaine lettuce -- wouldn't you abstain? People are interesting...

Old 01-05-2018, 09:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
well just another opinion, but for me, reading and taking what consumers Report has to say is like listening to my 5 year great granddaughter and believing everything she has to say. I used to subscribe to them, did off and on for years, but there were too many questionable articles to take them seriously . They are just like an organization, their tests are not done on enough people to give a good, clear answer. It is still mostly scare tactics: enjoyable to read? Yes, accurate I don't happen to think so.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:04 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,722 times
New year, new healthy diet plan. I bought a huge bag of romaine lettuce on Wednesday so I can start eating a lot of salads.

Made dinner Wednesday night with a large salad as the side for the family. Last night I'm on Facebook and a friend posted the link to the consumer reports about the e coli. possibly being from romaine lettuce. Ugh!!! Of course!

Now I don't know if I should throw the huge bag out or just wash it really well and keep eating it. So far no illness from the salad we ate Wednesday night. Just my luck though!

Old 01-05-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well just another opinion, but for me, reading and taking what consumers Report has to say is like listening to my 5 year great granddaughter and believing everything she has to say. I used to subscribe to them, did off and on for years, but there were too many questionable articles to take them seriously . They are just like an organization, their tests are not done on enough people to give a good, clear answer. It is still mostly scare tactics: enjoyable to read? Yes, accurate I don't happen to think so.
But then there's this:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...cials-say.html

And this:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/nation...6-2155c6c88050

Old 01-05-2018, 11:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
yes it certainly can happen; no one is doubting this, but the chances are so slim and the fact remains it is scare tactics. Think of how many people read these articles or reports and throw away good food? Also take into consideration, like has been mentioned the possible contaminated product is long gone, but their will be people reading this article a month from now and still freak out.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yes it certainly can happen; no one is doubting this, but the chances are so slim and the fact remains it is scare tactics. Think of how many people read these articles or reports and throw away good food? Also take into consideration, like has been mentioned the possible contaminated product is long gone, but their will be people reading this article a month from now and still freak out.
You're right.

Addition to the funny story: When my aunt called me to tell me, she said, "I'll eat it. I won't serve it to anyone, but I'll risk eating it." She's a martyr.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:32 AM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Default well, that's easily done

Lettuce is borrrring anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink